School Camping Trip

Options
NinaKKang
NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
edited 16. Jul 2011, 17:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well, she's finally gone and left us all on our own, my beautiful, independent, bossy eldest daughter went off camping with her class this afternoon :(

We went through WEEKS of preparation: my insisting she needed proper walking boots (yes, they look like pink and purple Frankenstein hand-me-downs but at least they will be comfortable and if she never wears them again, she is the same size as me so I can have them), warm clothing, her hair tied up because she has about 5 people's worth of hair and barely manages it all, a rucksack, not a suitcase, a lot fewer clothes and toiletries than she was planning on taking... oh the list was endless.

We also had a bit of worrying, from her as well as us. We have always been very fortunate with childcare - my parents have done it all which means no daycare/childminders etc. The downside is that she's never spent a night away from family in all her 12 years, so yes, we were all worried. But, as I pointed out to her last night, I'd paid £60 for this 2 night trip, spent about £90 on stuff she needed for it, she was GOING and that was final!

She's missing The Apprentice :( We always watch it together :( Me, her Dada and her little sisters feel lost. And she's texted me and her dad lots of times to tell us what a fab time she's having!

Bring on Friday afternoon :D Anyone else experienced this? It's so strange without her here!

Nina XX

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Nina,
    Yes I've gone through this with all my boys, I have 3 aged 17, 15 and 13. They all went on a week long PGL trip to Shropshire Boreaton park, first time away from home as well for my boys, and they al loved it! :grin: hubby and me were bereft each time though for the first night...and then we slowly realised a very unusual sound in the house....no arguments :lol: don't know what it is even now, take one out of the equation and they don't fight!! I totally understand your longing for Friday and your girl coming home, I was exactly the same :grin: she'll have had a great time and will be telling you all about it for weeks to come :grin:
    Thinking of you Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • NinaKKang
    Options
    Thanks Poppy, I am glad she's having a good time, I think deep down I knew she would as she's with her friends. But yes, I should make the most of it!

And what do you mean, no arguments? The other two still argue! How did you manage that??

Nxx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Nina,
    Yes, I cannot fathom how or why but even now they don't fight (as much :lol: ) if my eldest is at sixth form or work the other 2 do their own thing and are happy to natter. And it's not just the eldest Jack, if Samuel or Luke were away it would be exactly the same.
    Normally they argue like cats and dogs :lol::lol: xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Nina

I'm sure that Ellen will have a great time, and I look forward to hearing all about it :grin: It's always strange at first when children become more independent. The worst time is when they leave home for the first time, and then the house goes suddenly very quiet. With my twins, it was worse as they both left at the same time. Luckily, you've got a long time before you get to that stage. I bet that Simie and Jassie are missing their sister, and they will appreciate her all the more when she returns.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    yes oldest would not go on pgl so youngest went and had great time mind you the were both in bevers and cubs so had been away for day and weekend but it very strange when they not there got rid of both ours this weekend(25,27) it was heaven lol when win lottery going to get them house each lol
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Nina. It is strange when they first go away and of course you miss her but this is the first important step to eventually leaving home. She's sent you a text to let you know she is having a great time-that is very thoughtful of her.
    Some children love it and some hate it. My son refused to go on the school, camping trip in June even though he really seemed to enjoy his previous school trips. I think life is too easy for him at home. My 2nd son is always difficult when he comes home after being away, like he is confused and a little cross with me!

Enjoy the peace and quiet Nina. It will do her good to have to rough it a bit! She might also realise what a great life you and Mr Kang provide for her.

Val mine are 25 and 27(both girls). Mine have both left home though and I never see them!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Hi Nina. It is strange when they first go away and of course you miss her but this is the first important step to eventually leaving home. She's sent you a text to let you know she is having a great time-that is very thoughtful of her.
    Some children love it and some hate it. My son refused to go on the school, camping trip in June even though he really seemed to enjoy his previous school trips. I think life is too easy for him at home. My 2nd son is always difficult when he comes home after being away, like he is confused and a little cross with me!

Enjoy the peace and quiet Nina. It will do her good to have to rough it a bit! She might also realise what a great life you and Mr Kang provide for her.

Val mine are 25 and 27(both girls). Mine have both left home though and I never see them!

Elizabeth

they did leave( but did not change locks quick enough) but they were very good about keeping in touch there never any balance with kids is there all or nothing val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Nina

:cry: a HUGE hug for you ()

You poor poor Mummy :sad:

I have been there l have and l was desolate.

They have a whale of a time and do not miss us much at ALL.

When she comes hoem l promise you she will apprecaite you all weekend, but not much beyond that!!

Love and sympathetic hugs

Toni xx

PS mine went for FOUR days :shock:
  • NinaKKang
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, ladies. I'm OK during the day because I'm at work and she's usually at school, it's her chatter and bringing me drinks and snacks in the evenings I miss :( Drinking wine isn't the same without her disapproving looks!

She's back lunchtime tomorrow :D Am taking a longer lunch break to pick her up from school!

Nxx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Mine used to go away for weekends with Brownies from the age of 7. It was only about 4 miles down the road so i knew i could get her if there was any problem, but i didnt need to. So i dont worry if she is homesick because she has gone away for a few years now and is okay about it. Shes just come back now from a weeks holiday with school (aged 15) and whilst there didnt let me know how she was which i wasnt happy about.

Son just gone away for first time with school, never been away before. He thought he was getting his own room!!lol...He was fine though.
    School and organisations are very good with kids and know all kids will feel differently so dont worry theyre well cared for and it does them good.
  • NinaKKang
    Options
    SHE'S BACK!!! She had a great time but missed us and there wasn't enough food LOL She has hollow legs, I thought food would be a problem :D

She's been fast asleep since 9pm, very unusual for her. She also told me all about orienteering and how she had to "take over" because she was the only one who could map read and who knew what she was doing LOL She gets that from her dad's side of the family, obviously!

The only downside is that she really has caught the camping bug and wants to go again :shock:

Nxx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    It sounds as though Ellen's had a great time, despite the food shortage. I can imagine her leading the way with skill in the orienteering; she's so bright and capable, she could beat all the candidates on ''The Apprentice'' hands down.
    This week orienteering: tomorrow the world :!: :grin:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Nina. I am pleased she had such a lovelytime. Food is always an issue. Camping is great but not easy with arthritis so if she wants the whole family to go then make sure you get some AC tipsfirst!

This thread has got me remembering about my divorce and the kids having to go to their Dads house every fortnight and some holidays. He'd never had or wanted sole care of them before so I was very worried and hated it at first. But gradually we all had to get used to itas I didn't feel I had any choice!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • NinaKKang
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind thoughts and replies, but I'd like to point just one little thing out: I AM NEVER GOING CAMPING.

My parents didn't emigrate from India, a third world country, leaving behind their family and friends, come to a country which they didn't know, didn't speak the language of, to give their children opportunities they never had... so we would turn around and say to them "hey, here's a good idea, why don't we sleep in some muddy fields?" :D

Not my thing at all! She wants to go again, she can go on the next school trip or with my brother and his family who love going. Insane.

Nxx