What make mobile phone would you recommend

alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 16. Jul 2011, 13:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
My mobile is a bit ancient, although it does have an mp3, and a radio, there's something wrong with the reception on it. Just wondered what phone you would recommend, the I Phone, and HTC Desire are out of my league price wise. Alanthemanc

Comments

• daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Nxkxa £10 from Txscx pay as you go- easy peasy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,793
    Mine is a bl*ckberry now the easy one without the qwerty kepboard...if found that too painful!!!

It's ok, but really only any use if the rest of your family have them too.

Love

Toni xx

PS have you seen the d*ro????? :lol: for old folks...big keypad....dont laugh but l SERIOUSLY considered it :oops:
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    The best mo is the cheapest one, mine was 2nd hand and I use about £30 a year, PAYG.

I don't want anything that distracts me from life, that and I can't see the screen without glasses and I always lose them!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    have two one with camera one with out tend to use old one the most easyer to use do not have to worry about loosing it and vir*in same as oh so cheeper to message each other val
    val
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    I have touchscreen android phone, so much easier for me to use and it has loads of applications and games to keep me entertained at appointments lol.. mine is contract £30 month
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    I have a Sony Ericsson C2500..... something or other - if my daughter was here, she'd telle me :D It's a slidey phone, which I don't normally like but it also has a good camera, video, mp3, radio, comes with headphones and USB cable to download songs and photos onto my computer or vica versa.

I get 900 mins/ texts, unlimited internet, free calls to other 3 users (ie. my hubby and daughter) - all for £20 a month. My contract ends in Sep or Oct and I want a smart phone - don't really like apple software so won't be getting an iphone.

Nxx

PS - also has satnav and that COOL pullface programme
  • alanthemanc
    Nina
    If money is no problem, the HTC Desire seems to be the phone they are talking about these days. I'm going to have a good scout about. Alanthemanc
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Go to a large electronic/phone store that sells phones and look at as many as you can. Hold them, try them for size and draw up a short list. Sometimes phones have high specs, but very often in the hand they don't seem quite right. You have to be happy with your choice as you may be stuck with it for several years. Google phone reviews but beware of young, overenthusiastic 'my phone is always better than yours' fanbois. Has it got a decent keypad, slide out QWERTY is easiest to use or a capacitive touch screen? Will you use all the bells and whistles that many advertise or just a few where a cheaper phone will do? Ask friends what they use and get good and bad thoughts.

Then the choice of contract or 'Pay As You Go'. Work out how much the contract will cost for it's duration and check that against a PAYG purchase. If used a lot then contract is better, for light use PAYG. Will the phone be locked to only one supplier, for instance, Orange branded phones only work on the Orange network or is it supplied unlocked so you can choose yourself; will it take your current sim card so you instantly keep the same number/contacts by fitting your present sim.

Many smartphones have Google Maps GPS which requires data downloads as you move, Nokia downloads full UK mapping in one go via your home WiFi and doesn't need any additional costly data via 3G. Can it take photos at a good definition and HD video and does it have all types of connection to computers or TV. Most smartphones companies also now have a comprehensive set of apps (Applications, little programs) that you download for free or for a few pounds, more or less.

It is a bit of a minefield buying a new phone as there are so many excellent but different ones now. As for me, I use a Nokia N8, I like it!

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    to be honest you need to think what you want out of your phone...do you use it for just emergency calls,do you text a lot and do you want a good camera?would you use the internet and apps?..i have the samsung galaxy its touch screen and i hate it lol i much prefer buttons...i used to work in mobile phone shops,the link and t-mob... and everyone used to want the latest phone and never used halve the features on it,i personally have always liked sony erricsons easy to use,my daughter has the htc desire and thats a lovely phone too......
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I've been very happy with my samsung galaxy s.. Oh, and any 'phone only' phones from carphone whorehouse are ALL sold unlocked now..
    I use mine to it's fullest more or less though. Apple are indeed great but they usually are tied to themselves for anything you want, eg music from itunes etc.. You can probably get then unlocked but why should you have to? The latest iphone might not be as restricted, I'm not too sure, I just know that with the older ones you couldn't even bluetooth a photograph from another device..

Best of luck, make sure you actually handle the phone before buying it, places such as the whorehouse should let you have a close look at the phones first.

Let us know what you end up with.
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • alanthemanc
    Delboy
    Had a quick look at the Orange San Francisco and for the money, you were right, it looks quite good.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hi

One thing you will find when purchasing a new phone is that these new ones, the charge only fasts for a day or more, its pants! It seems the more they put on it the more it drains the battery....
    Also android? touchscreen? I just want a mobile phone not a computer thats why im typing on here.....

Good luck

Elainex
    My mobile is a bit ancient, although it does have an mp3, and a radio, there's something wrong with the reception on it. Just wondered what phone you would recommend, the I Phone, and HTC Desire are out of my league price wise. Alanthemanc
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I often go on Martin Lewis/ forum/ mobile phones to read about any probs people are experiencing, feedback, recommendations etc.

There are so many different phones out there and it depends what you want it for..talking, photos, film, apps, games etc.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    In my family we always used Tmobile, don't know why never tryed any other one. They are always giving you good deals.

Karen xx
    Karen xx