edited 20. Jul 2011, 14:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Any tips - I am about to start on humira and am quite nervous??i :???:

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Evening!

I have just seen your post but haven't got time to reply now. But just to let you know I will reply tomorrow. I know there are quite a few forum members on Humira so I am sure you will get some other replies too.

Tilly xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Try putting 'Humira' into the search engine at the top left of the page. I know there have been lots of posts on it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Hi

I started humira on easter Sunday this year and two days later nearly all my RA symptoms had disappeared..it was miraculous. I have had a persistent runny nose since then, as a side effect, so am constantly sniffing, but its just like having hay fever.

I was very very nervous about starting humira but don t give it a thought now! I am very careful about avoiding people with infections and am constantly washing my hands or using antibacterial gel, especially when I am 'out and about' in shops etc.

I have had a few problems with the 'pens' malfunctioning, which knocked my confidence for injecting - even though I am used to injecting methotrexate .. Twice the pens didn't work and once I got distracted by oe of my dogs and ended up stabbing myself in the finger and the drug spurted across the table! Now I always inject in the peace and quiet of my bedroom...

Marion
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Hi,

I inject myself with Enbrel each week and it has been fantastic, worked brill in my back but not in perifiral joints. I teach and got ne chest infection in the winter but generally been very well and well worth trying. Hoping that even though I am on Enbrel not humira this still helps. I use ice before and after I inject to stop swelling. X
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Sorry am later replying than I intended.

Not sure if you are nervous of the injections or the drug itself?

In terms of the injections you will be taught how to do them so you know what you are doing. I was given a choice of a "pen" injector or a "proper syringe". I'm a bit of a wimp so I went for the pen. :roll: My top tips which I wish I'd known when I started are:

Take the Humira out of the fridge at least an hour before injecting because when it's warmer the liquid is thinner and therefore easier to inect.

If you get injection site reactions such as swelling and itching, talk to the doc about antihistamines. I struggled for ages until the doc recommended taking a "one a day non drowsy antihistamine" about an hour before the injection and then as needed for a couple of days after. Made all the difference.

In terms of the drug itself - well it worked really well for my joints - and hope it does for you too.

Please let us know how it goes.

Love Tilly xxx