Bad back pain

Options
constable
constable Member Posts: 2,115
edited 20. Jul 2011, 05:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

Just wandering, as some of you know I am now nearly 11 weeks post THR op. Things have been going well recently, doing everything I normally do, only thing I can't do yet is kneel down. Over the last four days I have been having really bad pain in my back. Back to disturbed nights and screaming out with pain when I get up(it has been rather embarrasing at times), can't stand up straight.

Was wondering if anyone who has had the THR ever exprerienced this. I am getting really fed up with it now.

Karen xx
Karen xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Two possibilities come to mind, Karen.

1. Although it's not as likely if you've only one replacement joint, I have found that, once I get walking properly (as opposed to pottering) on a new joint, it sometimes becomes obvious my legs are no longer quite the same length. I'm talking very slight differences here. It might be worth experimenting with an insole in one shoe or the other to see if it makes a difference.

2. Trying to sleep without crossing the new hip's leg over the other can result in some odd positions. I never actually tried it myself but a 'knee pillow' or somesuch might help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • constable
    Options
    Thanks S.W. I will try the pillow, and had wondered whether it could be a difference in length. But the pain is really severe. And continous.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I wouldn't say mine was really severe just constant nagging, but I'm probably much less mobile than you. I guess the more you ask of it, the more it'll protest. Anyway, I hope one of these suggestions helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I agree with sticky.....had 1 THR....I find it better to have a pillow under my operated leg/hip.
    Have you ever come across the small cusions with beans in them One of mine is oblong I find that good if my neck is achey, {when sitting watching TV} the other one is small square, I find it good for putting under my knee when I need it...I cant cope with an ordinary pillow and I know speedy and some others use body pillows but if I use one of those i cant turn over.....this is small so if i turn it turns with me...I got mine in our shopping center but I have seen simialr ones in motorway coffee stops.
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi....sorry you 2 must have been posting at the same time as me :lol:

Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Karen
    Iv not had a thr yet, but it could be that you are having spasms in your back, like the others have said its probably the way you are sleeping, or even walking.
    When my back spasms I have to take extra antiinflams, I hope it settles for you very soon.
    Im glad to hear that your thr is getting better, I know you had a rotten time.
    Love
    Barbara
  • constable
    Options
    Hi Hileena and Barbara

Thanks for your replies, I am going to try the pillow, see if that helps me at all. Shall let you know.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Karen

Having had back surgery not THR l can say l totally agree with the gang advising the pillow between knees

The twisting action whne you sleep on your side can cause pain as can lying on your back flat....a small rolled up hand towel helps with that too a bit.

I AM sorry Karen..tis vile :sad:

Love

Toni xx