trouble sleeping.

Options
sbolam
sbolam Member Posts: 374
edited 22. Jul 2011, 04:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

After some advice..for the last few months I have not had a decent nights sleep and tbh its starting to show..the problem is the inside of my right knee gets very tender and when I lay in bed its OUCH.. and since the pain killers only really last about 4-5 hours..its not a great help. I have tried a pillow but did not help as i tend to move alot in bed..

and suggestions?

stephen
04_pain.jpg

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You may need to see your Gp. . I used to have problem sleeping due to the pain and I was prescribed amitriptyline has helped for me. . You could also try wheat bag or hot water bottle as you go to sleep. .
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hi Stephen,

There are different things on the market for such difficulties. I know somepeople here use knee pillows (rather than the ordinary one) or towels or there are some pads you actually strap to your knees so's they move with you.

How good is your mattress? The best thing I ever did for a good night's sleep all round was buy one that's fully sprung but the top 2" or so is memory foam. It supports fully in all the right places.

Hope you can sort something out.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sbolam
    Options
    thanks guys...i never knew that there was such a thing as a knee pillow..i will have to look into this.
    04_pain.jpg
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Stephen
    Have you had any luck sorting out our pain/pillows etc? I havent tried them but looking at the ones that strap around your leg...they seem the best...I found the ordinary pillow moved ....what I did eventually find was a small square cushion/pillow with beads in it. I found that because this was small it moved with me or if i turned over i got hold of it {while still half sleeping} and pulled it round with me. Not as awkward as a normal size one. You can buy them in big stors or shopping centers or I have even seen them in Motorway coffee places.....{in the shop they have}
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    You are right about pain killers not working for very long so what you need t do is check with your GP......A slow release tablet such as diclofenic or naproxan should sort that . I was on diclofenic....1 bedtime and one 12 hours later....then she decided to change it to naproxen....same thing...I dont see much difference in the two to be honest. So thats another idea LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • sbolam
    Options
    I take diclofenic 3 times a day..it general works well. when I was first diagnosed i was on neproxen and they did not do a thing. I also take 30/500 co-codamol which do work just not all night..I am going to make an appointment to see my GP at some point.
    04_pain.jpg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Stephen
    I had a lot of trouble sleeping, I have a feather toppers that helps, but the pain clinic put me on amytriptaline....sorry spell checker not working :roll: I really do get a good nights sleep now, I really didnt want to take any more meds....but needs must...
    I do wish you well with everything.
    Love
    Barbara
  • sbolam
    Options
    thanks Barbara

I will ask him about those..

stephen
    04_pain.jpg