Knee Replacment

Options
gray29
gray29 Member Posts: 23
edited 7. Aug 2011, 23:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi,
i'm 29 and due to have my left knee replaced on the 2nd of november, and i would love to hear from anyone who can guide me through this, and also discuss how they have managed their pain relief because days like today its almost unbearable.

thanks

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi welcome sorry can not help but am sure some one will be along soon who can val
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hi there, Gray29 and welcome to the forum.

29 is quite young to have a TKR. I got my first two aged 35 and one of them's still working 30 years on. I had the other replaced again 2 years ago.

AC do some very useful booklets, if you haven't already seen them. There's one on 'Surgery & Arthritis', another on 'Coping with Pain' and also one on 'Exercise'. Just click on the 'Publications & Resources' button at the top of the page, scroll down to 'Booklets' and they are among them.

It's quite hard to 'guide someone through' a TKR because all hospitals have their own procedures but I'll be happy to answer any specific questions as best I can.

Pain, just before a TKR, can be off the scale. I've been known to wheel myself about the house in my wheelchair. Your GP would be the best to advise you on that. I included the 'exercise' booklet because taking your knee(s) carefully through the full range of movements daily does help (Do it 1/2 hr after painkillers if necessary) and also keeps the muscles strong which makes life easier afterwards.

Hope it goes well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hi Gray.
    When i had the pain in my knee i could not put my foot on the ground the pain would go up my leg it was a sharp pain.
    i've had my tkr 8 years now the pain from having that done is a different pain that is helped by doing the right exersizes and the
    pain tablets.
    i have a manual recliner and i would have it up and push it down with my legs and after a few weeks my leg was stronger i have not had any trouble with my knee since the op.
    good luck i was told to keep bending it dont keep it out straight.
    everyone on here is friendly and helpfull just ask what you want.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Gray
    And welcome to this lovely forum, sorry I cant help, but we do have a few people on here that have had knee ops....one being out Elna who has had both replaced...I am sure she will be around soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Compositor
    Compositor Member Posts: 122
    Options
    I had both TKR approx 9 years ago, I had to finished work because I couldn't manage until something was done. I didn't for obvious reasons want to go down this way, but, I had no choice. I listened to what I was told as regards exercise after the replacements and got on relatively well. Nowadays, I tend to get sore around the joint areas when I have done too much standing/walking, but, as I'm always told, "pace what your doing". My balance isn't too good, but, that could possibly be with the spinal surgery I had some years ago. My knees feel numb, kneeling feels strange to me because of the numbness, don't know if that is general? Having them both TKR's gave me somewhat of a new lease insofar as being able to get back to work/family/social committments...I don't know how long I will go on for without the need for change, but, positivity is my drive. Good Luck, I hope all goes well for you.
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi Gray29
    I haven't had a TKR but have a friend who has.She had the operation 5 weeks ago and is now walking better than she has had for years.She is undergoing physio but that is normal and at the moment is using a stick.
    What is more remarkable is that she is 82 years old and already has had a shoulder and both hips replaced!
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    I had mine done 4 years ago... had a bad time ever since... but... when i was having some extra physio 2 years ago for this leg i was in the hydrotherapy pool (lovely and warm) spoke to many in the same boat and those about to undergo the tkr... but their drs were building their leg muscles up before the op which i think is a great idea!!
    also i was told by my surgeon i think... many years ago TKR were done on 'older' people say... 70... who had finished the running around with kids etc... so they felt more comfortable with their new knees but today there are more younger people having this op who are still raising very young families and have loads to do... they dont rest up and do expect miracles from their new joint... i would try and build your muscles around that area if possible, i had more physio just after my op as i couldnt get my knee to a 90degree bend...
    have trouble doing it still... still have a lot of pain and disturbed nights but there cant always be everyone 100% happy with it...
    opposite my hospital bed was a lady of 74, she had hers done same day as me... she lived alone and had to get mobile, within 4 months she was running around and loving her life and had the other leg done to... as she had managed to lose some weight and had second leg done in the new orthapedic centre down our way... she was a very very determined lady bless her...
    Good luck with yours xxxxxxx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Gray

My, you are young to be having a TKR but I am sure there are others on here who have had them done that young or thereabouts. I am 60 years old now and had one done in January 2008 and the other in Januuary 2010, both done by the same surgeon. I am so pleased with my new knees and only perhaps regret that my surgeon would not do the first one until I could bear it no longer.

I got a good knee bend both times, but did suffer with a lot of pain for months post op. The physio was puzzled because I had such good movement in both knees.

Pre-op, I never had to resort to a stick when out but used my husbands arm if he was with me. :wink: I did not enjoy walking and used to use my bike as much as I could locally because I had no pain then because I was non weight bearing not that I am overweight at all.

I used to take the max painkillers and anti inflams allowed daily and used a heated wheatbag on knees pre op.

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Gray

Can't add to what has already been said but just wanted to say "hello" and "welcome". Really good luck with the knee replacement.

Tilly xxx
  • gray29
    gray29 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    first of all would like to say thanks to all the replies and how welcome you have made me feel. make sit a lot eaiser to post stuff.

secondly i'm having an oximium replacment which i am lead to believe is a better chocie any one have any opinions?

also can any shed some light on how long i can expect to stay in hospital?

thanks again

gray
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    my stay was 9 days, and the same for the elderly lady opposite who i wrote about, when she had the 2nd knee replaced she was out within 4 days... guess its down to each individual
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Can't help with the knee types. I know my first two were the Leeds knee but they probably only have them in medical museums now.

Length of stay is a bit like length of a piece of string. Much depends on the hospital. They like you out as soon as possible but you need to show you can cope at home ie getting out of chairs unaided and being able to tackle stairs (if you have them). That's why the exercises beforehand are so important for building up strength. I was in just short of a week for my last one.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    My surgeon favours the depuy knee replacements. I was in hospital for 5 nights if I remember correctly. Surgeon wanted me to stay an extra night but as I was signed off by everyone I decided to come home. I must admit that although it is wonderful to be back at home in one's own bed and familiar things around, it is definitely more difficult than being in hsopital where all one has to think about is oneself and getting better and there is someone on hand to call/ask for help/ answer questions. So although I came home asap my advice is to stay in as long as possible!Easy to say after the event.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Elna's made a very valuable point there. Home always seems a great idea when you're in hospital but everything is more difficult there eg you go to make yourself a cup of tea or coffee then start wondering how to get back to your chair with two crutches/sticks/a zimmer and a cup. If you have people at home to help they will be worth their weight in gold.

Have you read the 'Great Tips for Going into Hospital' thread towards the top of this forum?
    Steven Wright
  • jojo03
    jojo03 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Gray,

I had my first knee replacement 11 weeks ago. I put if off for 20 years because I was so scared and finally agreed to go ahead because i was in so much pain (I'm 44 now). The people on here are amazing with advice and support and helped me get through the worry about the op.

I was referred to a physiotherapist two weeks before the op, and she gave me a few gentle exercises to do to try to build up the leg muscles a bit. I wonder if you could get a referral to a physio for something similar? I know exercise is the last thing you feel like doing when you're in that much pain, but it can help, and you've got plenty of time to build up the exercises slowly before your op. You will probably do the same exercises as part of your physio after the op too, so you'll be used to them.

I remember the pain in my knee seemed to get much worse once I had a date for the op, I think it was my knee just thinking it could stop trying and give up! Just take as many painkillers as you are allowed and try massaging your knee with ibuprofen gel, or even ordinary cream, it can
    help a bit.

My new knee is good, I haven't got a great bend, they say it will take about a year to get good movement because it was so bad beforehand. I've had very little pain though and was walking better than I had done for years about a week after the op.

I stayed in for 6 nights, but that was down to my lack of bend - I'm told the usual stay is 3 nights.

Feel free to ask anything else!

Jo x.
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    Well you have come to the right sight for info at some point we have all gone through the many stages of operations and pain all of us are different and at some point experienced some if not all of the things associated with TKR.My only advice would be make sure you ALWAYS do the exercises whenever you can they will bring tears to your eyes but you will benefit in the long run. My stay in hospital was 5 days with aftercare by the physios at home. Good luck Wendy
  • sparkle
    sparkle Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello
    I had my knees done 4 years ago when I was 24. I think I stayed in hospital about 5 days each time. Mine are oxinium and my surgeon is confident they will last me a long time. I wasn't very active before the ops but I am very pleased I had them done as I can get about easier (still limited by other joints), stand longer, get up out chairs easier and am in a lot less pain. They are not as good as normal healthy knee joints but a whole lot better than before I had them done. Also my legs are straighter now as I was a bit knock-kneed before. As others have said, it's important to keep up with the physio. Feel free to ask me any questions if you wish.