A huge thank you!

Options
tj66
tj66 Member Posts: 54
edited 21. Jul 2011, 16:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
I just wanted to say a big thank you to all who contribute to this brilliant forum. I've just returned to my fulltime job after being at home for three months-I stumbbled across this site whilst researching my new diagnosis (OA of the spine). I introduced myself yesterday after plucking up the courage. I need to explain that I needed courage to face up to this diagnosis-since March I have tried to carry on as usual and not let it beat me, in doing so I ran myself into the ground and crashed physically and mentally. I needed courage to accept that my life will have to change a bit to ensure I stay well.

During the last three months I have taken great comfort in your stories and the advice and support you give each other and those like me that struggle a bit with accepting their diagnosis. I couldn't believe there was so many people with stories of frustration just like mine-also the stories of great strength and determination-it really has been like a life line. I'm not sure how things will pan out for me as I'm doing half days at work and struggling already and I haven't done a fortnight!

Well thats probably a long enough first ever post and sorry if it's a bit negative. I just wanted all to know how supportive it's been for me to read your stories. xx

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi tj66,

Glad you found the forum.. this lot are the best really!

Its never easy to begin with but you will get there and the medics will start to help a lot more with luck.

Life does change but we also learn to change with it and work round the things we can't do and hit head on sometimes as well......

Hey that bit is not easy and also the hardest thing to do. You will get there and acceptance... 30 years on I am not sure I have excepted it either :lol:

You have had a shock, its not good and the future suddenly becomes very bleak for you... i do know that but well its not as bad as you think it will be and you can still do more than you thought already maybe?

You hang in there and post where and for as long a you like cus thats what we all do :wink:

Nice to meet you and sorry my brain isn't making a lot of sense just now but others will say it better soon cus they always do here. Hang in there and it does honestly get easier. Cris x
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi and welcome from me too..

I must have missed your post yesterday, :???:
    So glad to hear the forum has helped you through the last few months, it's nice that you comfortable now to join.. I think they are a great bunch on here, they have helped me tremendously..
    You never need to apologise for saying how you feel... with can all empathise with you..
    I have been suffering for less than a year and i know how difficult it can be to accept whats happening and having to adjust your lifestyle..Everyone is different in how they deal with things, but we are here to help eachother and support through the good and bad..
    You must have seen the banter and humour that goes on here too, they certainly brighten up my day..
    Look forward to seeing you around the forum..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    we are a mad lot check out the chit chat forum.best wishes Mig
  • tj66
    Options
    Thanks again for replying so promptly! I think I posted on the introduce yourself section - I'm not great with IT! I really am feeling better already just knowing I can share my feelings if I feel like it-I've given up trying to explain this condition to others who mean well but they just don't get it like you guys would! Yes I have laughed out loud at some of the funny stuff I've read.

Thanks again for the encouragement from you all ! xx

Tracey
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    tj66 wrote:
    I've given up trying to explain this condition to others who mean well but they just don't get it like you guys would!

Oh yes, we get it! Boy, do we get it!

Glad you made it to the LWA forum Tracey. These are a great bunch of guys.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi tracey great to have you with us sorry you had to get arther to do it though. ask anything you wish some one will know the answer or find it for you they are a great bunch who kept me sane while i was getting my head around it all and let me ask the most stupid questions that did not like to ask docs. as for work well that a hard one i do afternoons and have to nap before going some days getting enough rest so hard val
    val
  • tj66
    Options
    I thought you would understand! Tee hee! Not that it's funny to be in pain. I can't believe the things some people say to me-and I'm sure you guys have heard it all too! Does any one find themselves just going along with the things people say. Even my mum, bless her, says "Oh love is your back hurting today?" I want to shout " It's hurt everyday for the last two years!" but find myself saying - "yeah just a bit!"

I'm lucky at the moment that through occupational health I am doing half days - it's a good tip to have a Knapp! Sometimes I feel like a Knapp when I wake up! I think that could be the Amitriptalyn-sorry not sure how to spell knapp or Amitriptalyn today!

I'm going to try taking it earlier in the evening (150mg) any tips greatfully recieved.

Thanks for responding to my post.

Tracey xx
    Thanks for your responses
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Tracey and welcome from me too!

So glad you have found the forum and plucked up the courage to join. I had never joined a forum before either and I am really pleased I did.

Glad you are able to work part-days at the moment. It does take time to adjust, both physically and mentally and I have found sharing with others who genuinely understand is hugely helpful.

Love Tilly xxx
  • tj66
    Options
    Thank you so much - it's helped loads already. I am bored and frustrated by my story and fear my family and friends feel the same way - they are all very lovely people and try to be supportive - I'd given up talking about it and just started being polite cause it's easier to say that you're fine! That is until today when I've had a bit of a rant! Thank you Tilly, and all that have responded to my posts today.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    And Im so glad you found this lovely forum...joining it has made such a difference to my life...and I hope it does to yours.
    You take care
    Love
    Barbara
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi Tracey..

Can be hard when others don't understand, thats why this forum is so great..you can rant and rave as much as you like.. we will all be able to empathise without being false..
    I think we all find ourselves saying yeah were ok.. like you say it's so much easier than saying well actually i'm not but i don't want to bore you with the details.. lol..
    I find the amtriptyline can make me very groggy in the morning, often fall back asleep after the alarm has gone off.. have to sit upright to wake up lol.. I take mine around 7 now, still groggy though.. :lol:
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • remixmum
    remixmum Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Hiya Tracey

Welcome from me, I felt exactly the same as you when I joined (sacred, nervous, and worried)

The lovely peeps on here have helped to educate (not frighten) me about
    my condition and what happens at appointments.

They have supported me, cheered me up, given me fantastic advice, and jumped in my pocket when needed (You need BIG pockets if you hang around here :P )

Most of all, they just understand and I am so grateful to all of them.
    Geri XXX
  • sbolam
    sbolam Member Posts: 374
    Options
    well before I found this site, I never had anyone to vent too or ask real questions as my GP is good, he can be hard work to get information out of..this is where AC has been great, and even tho I have only been here as short while I have found the folks wonderful and supported and willing to listen my me..

I do feel better just by that..

stephen
    04_pain.jpg
  • tj66
    Options
    Hi everyone! So many replies, so many names to remember - how lovely!

I have to say to my husband to make sure he is having a lucid conversation with me before he leaves for work (bless him he brings me up my breakfast) otherwise I just snuggle back down - on one occassion not long ago I work at 2pm. When I eventually turned up for work, I had to tell the truth and just say I had overslept! I tried to explain the overwhelming tiredness, you know you're going to be late but you just have to go back to sleep! I bet you guys know just that feeling.

It's so lovely to be here and thankyou so much for the encouragement.

Tracey xxxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Tracey
    Glad youy are enjoying the forum
    Dont worry too much about names.....some are better at remembering them than others...I'm useless at remembering them :lol:
    Amitriptiline.....there was talk about me going onto that one time {never happened} but I was told to take them no later than 8pm at night other wise I would be groggy.....test it and try for yourself.
    Why not pop into the other forum Working with Arthritis......stay here please :grin: but if you are working even a little bit you might get some helpful tips from there as well
    Dont forget if there is a post you want to follow ...{get the rest of the replys from it} to tick the bottom of the post....."notify me when a reply is posted"

Love
    Hileena
  • tj66
    Options
    Thank you Hileena - IT isn't a strength of mine.

I have got on ok with the Amitriptyline (spelled badly) They swapped it for Gabapentin but I didn't get on with it-I felt really low. So back on the Amitriptyline at 150mg. I took it at 9:00 last night and went to bed at eleven. I did feel slightly more awake this morning - I made it to a 9am meeting-which was like the middle of the night a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately for me it makes me really hungry and I eat things I shouldn't and I've put on weight.

take care and thanks again for the tips.

Tracey

PS I have looked at lots of the posts in working with Arthritis and you're right there was a lot of helpfull stuff - I'll get my confidence here then maybe pop over and say hello!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    As long as you pop back here to us again :lol::lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena