Ideas for the kids during 6 wks hols

Options
traluvie
traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
edited 25. Jul 2011, 10:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just though this might be a good subject for the moms on here to talk and share ideas about things to keep the kids occupied during the holidays..I know if money is tight or mobility not great then things can be difficult when trying to keep them amused..
My mobility is not great at the moment, my daughter who is 14 is quite happy to go off and do her own thing, my son is 9 and we do lots of things together..
We mainly do creative things like making bookmarks, collage,slideshows on computer, drawing etc.. this can be a bit tedious after a while and i know he will get bored somewhere down the line lol..
Anyone have any ideas to share??
th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tracy
    My grandchildren are booked into a sought of play club for a couple of the weeks...well one is the older one who is 13 will be out with her friends, I find it helps when there are other kids nearby, so they can all play together, I have my fingers crossed that they dont all go on holiday at the same time.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • traluvie
    Options
    I looked at putting my daughter and son into the local theatre group, it would be just under 300 for them both.. can deffinately not afford that...lol..
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Gosh Tracy...this is only £3 per session...you have a look in your local library..good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    does he like football the local teams usually run training days work out good for money and break up the holidays.shame he not in the cubs they often go on camping trips and have fun days but remember cooking can be fun pizzas with faces on buns sausage rolls you name it and you can have fun doing it hire dvd make pop corn and have move afternoon have great holidays val
    val
  • remixmum
    remixmum Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Hi Tracey

I taught my boys to play cards when they were about your lads age and by God it made my life easier on long trips.

I did not have to bring bulky toys to keep them amused, a pack of cards is cheap and portable.

Maybe your daughter would like to join in as well
    Geri XXX
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Options
    Hi Tracy, I was wondering if your son's school send home a leaflet about what is going on locally for kids in the holidays. I'm quite involved with my two oldest granchildren (Sasha 8 and Liam 9.5 who hjas ADHD) and their mum is due to have a baby in 10 days time so this year is more of a challenge. 2 days a week they go to a local playscheme/holiday club, it's £12 per day from 10-3 but luckily we were able to get funding this year to pay for it through the school. There is also casual tennis sessions, (£4) and dance club (£8 from 10-3pm). What about bowling, swimming or just going to the park, our local one has crazy golf, croquet, giant chess and draughts. Could you find out from library or town hall? We also manage to get a couple of days out by using T***o clubcard vouchers. We are going to Southend and a theme park. I don't know how bad your mobility is or whether you have anyone (friend/relative) who could go with you and help, the trick is to pace yourself and my family know sometimes I just have to sit and rest (even the kids) and obviously I don't take them out on my own. I don't know if this will help but it might give you some ideas. I hope you can sort something out and enjoy the holidays, good luck.

Sue x
  • princess935
    princess935 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    My son has some learning difficulties, and this year he is old enough to join in the council run scheme for kids with disabilities.

The range of things to do is amazing, from adventure days, rock climibing, river crossing, gymnastics, horse riding, tri golf,martial arts, bowling.

I have booked about 2-3 days each week. And i also bought a disabled membership from the zoo which entitles my son to go anytime with a free carer, which was really cheap.

So this year i will not be tearing my hair out, will will be out all the time, hopefully.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Tracey,

This is the most challenging time of year for me. I have booked some respite for 1 son who is full of energy and 1 day respite for the other quiet one. I am still tryiong to sort for my daughter, although swimming is her current favourite and OH will have to help with that. There are no steps into my local pool and no way can I bring myself to go on the hoist.

Theatre groups are notoriously expensive! There are a few 'church' events which are cheaper and subsidised sports events through the local council.

At home we have the usual electronic toys, puzzles, cooking sessions(these are very tiring as have to do a lot of standing up) and arts and crafts.

Great idea to have a thread. We can post when local events and hopefully it will be useful for someone, if not all.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • traluvie
    Options
    Not much to do local by me, have a lovely lake and woodland areas which is great on my good days(which are not that often) ..
    There a few local run clubs but the fees are still too much for me at the moment..
    I saw an idea on supernanny..
    Cover a wall in lining paper and make it as a graffiti wall, kids can add to it when they choose too, make it into a diary or comic strip of the holidays..
  • tkachev
    Options
    First day of the holidays and they are already a little stir crazy. Luckily OH has been gardening so they went out and played with a water gun and washing up liquid-at the same time they cleaned the climbing frame unintentionally.

Tracey we have a trip this weekend to see Cars 2 with our new cinema card (1 carer goes free). I won't be going but OH willo be taking 1, 2 or 3 children with him.

Hope you are doing okay so far?

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • traluvie
    Options
    Have spent the day making lego police station, cells camera room the lot lol..

We have had a great time..

I am going to check my local cinema as they do offers in the holidays for kids.. My son is going to see cars 2 with his friend in a few weeks.. i'd watch it myself lol..
  • Melrymax
    Melrymax Member Posts: 226
    Options
    We have a few trips planned with my sister in law and her children. We aim to go swimming, a trip to the zoo where I have an excuse to take the pushchair to lean on and a trip to gullivers world, maybe Thierry water park which is for kids so I get to sit with a brew or few while they play :). Also considering a trip to cadburyworld. At home we are going to fill ryans 'all about me' book ready for him starting reception (scary stuff eh?)
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Travulvie,
    when mobility is a problem entertaining kids is hard. I used to really struggle to wear S out a bit, before my op and I used to get frustrated that I had to plan outings always with my lack of mobility in mind. Quite a lot of places have mobility scooters to borrow/hire and usually very cheaply; you can find this out online/by telephoning and means you can keep up with the kids no problem and wear them out a bit. Wacky Warehouse type places are great for this purpose too, you just sit and watch.

Do you have a local library? They often hold activities for children during the hols and also hold information on events that are happening locally.

Do you have a garden? Inviting friends to play (and then hopefully your son will have invites back) are a good idea. You can get them to set up obstacle courses etc You just sit and watch/encourage ...

SPeedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi Speedy,

long time no see. Hope the hip is doing well? Yes inviting friends round is a good idea as they entertain themselves then. Make sure they tidy up their own mess though.
    Day 2 of the hols. Nice weather. everybody doing well and playing nicely.1 son out to club. followed by Cars 2 and coke and Mc D, he is happy. Personally I prefer to buy the dvd and watch it in bed!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • traluvie
    Options
    I am going to arrange a get together, thats a good idea, thanks ladies..
    Today was spent rebuilding the police station and combining the fire station.. took us 6 hrs to build lol..He was occupied and happy, that the main thing..
    Am going to take him to the local park tom with his friend from school, will take a drink and sit on the grass and read my book while they play, only ten minutes from house so not too far either..Weather been lovely today..Hope it's nice for tom..
  • tkachev
    Options
    Day 3 of the holidays. I have 2 boys at respite...bowling and quasar. Daughter is happy as she went round the shops with her dad while I had hospital appointment. I so need this respite time.

The weather is nice today so might be good to get the kids outside tracey. Hope you are coping okay.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • traluvie
    Options
    Lovely day and am able to walk so rhys rang round a few of his friends locally and i took them up the park, i sat on the field and created obstacle courses for them and timed them.. we had a great time and i dropped the kids off on the way home..
    Tomorrow if the weather nice might plan a picnic.
    So far so good lol..
    Hope your appointment went ok elizabeth..