newly diagnosed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
dfawke
dfawke Member Posts: 19
edited 24. Jul 2011, 05:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya everyone, iv just registerd on this site as i was going through the internet trying to gain some knowledge and understanding of the condition iv just been diagnosed with.
I have been suffering with a painfull and stiff knee 4 a while now, the doctors didnt seem very botherd about it, but i did push for an exray which shown up mild osteoarthiritus.
I am only 33 so as you can emagine i was shocked and upset.
This was only 2 days ago, so if anyone has some helpfull advise for me please start typing x DONNA

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Donna,

Welcome to the forum but sorry you needed to find us. Yes, 33 is a bit young and it must have come as a shock but there are quite a few of us on here who have had one form or another of arthritis diagnosed at a young age, or who have children with it.

As for advice - well, I'd start with some of the booklets Arthritis Care produce. If you click on the Publications & Resources button at the top of the page and scroll down to 'Booklets' you'll see there's quite a few, dealing with all aspects of this disease. There is, I believe, one on osteoarthritis. The one on exercise is very good too. The main thing is to keep your knee in as good nick as possible for as long as possible. Then there's always replacement ones which get better and better all the time.

Please lett's know if there are any specific questions you have. There's bound to be someone on here with an answer.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    welcome sorry you had to join us but one thing you must remember is to keep exercising there lots of good ones here on forum if you keep muscles strong it helps joints and if you at mild stage then this very important what are docs doing for you have they offered physio go if they do and then exercises will be taylored to your needs good luck post when ever you need anything val
    val
  • sbolam
    sbolam Member Posts: 374
    Options
    the doc never offered me phyio, so I referred myself and glad i did..got some that were taylored to me and told to only do what i can and not to over do it...
    04_pain.jpg
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum......you should get all the answers you need here.
    As time goes on you'll know what questions you want to ask so just ask and someone will be on to answer you.
    Also as sticky says check the books/leaflets on the front page of the website...yes there is one for osteo arthritis but there are also other ones
    ones that might be helpful.
    Pain is one of them
    Working with OA {dont know if you work or not} anyway have a look at them and then send off for what you need....or you might see them....in your doctors or in your hospital {usually the physio dept} I am a volunteer for Arthritis Care and thats one of the things i do....go around keeping certain hospitals and doctors waiting rooms stocked withn these leaflets and the arthritis magazine as well
    Arthritis Care lealet are in our physio dept.....Arthritis Research {nothing to do with me :lol: } are kept in the x ray dept of our local hospital
    By the way...I have OA.....hips, lower spine, ankle and neck. Also had 1 hip replacement

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Donna
    And a very warm welcome to this lovely forum, you will get more info off here than you ever will off your gp.
    I look forward to seeing you posting more very soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi Donna ,

Welcome from me too..
    I have OA in knees am 31 and have inflammatory arthritis in various joints..
    Can be very daunting at first, but we are here to help and support you..
    Look forward to seeing you around..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Donna

A big welcome from me. You have found a lovelly place here. Everyone has different types of arthritis, so always able to help in one way or another. You just posy what you want to know and someone will come along to help. You are having a bad time and you can post on here and you will receive many post to help you, or cheer you up, it's the knowing you are not the only one that makes such a difference.

I shall look forward to seeing you posting around the forum.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Hi Donna,

As quite a newbie I can say you have come to the right place, you will find many answers but more importantly than that support, help and tips which will help you.

Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed so early, I was diagnosed at 39 but had suffered with AS for over 20 years first. Knowing what have is the first step in dealing with it, take time to accept it and learn as much as you can about it on here and also on various internet sites is the key. Make sure you are getting the medical help you need, push for it if you think you need more. You will get a huge amount of help from people on here who are going through the same things as you, you will have up days and down days, you will be frusterated and angry, sad and face many different emotions (think thats how we all feel sometimes).

When you understand more share it with the people around you, a good support network is a major benefit, take help when offered and try to live life as much as possible but don't be afriad to rest and not push your body and let it rest. Make your OA a part of your life not something that can't be discussed it will help you, I have children and obviously had problems when they were young before my diagnosis but managed to do most things with them. I have AS so not 100% sure about OA but if you can exercise and keep doing as much as possible. I have tried many different medications and now inject myself with Anti TNF every week (something I never thought I would do) but hopefully once you get a treatment that is right for you things should get easier. For me heat works very well on sore and swollen joints and most of all try to laugh, sing and be happy as much as you can.

If you have any specific questions or I can help in anyway please feel free to contact me, sending you good wishes. xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • tj66
    tj66 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Hello Donna,

I joined yesterday and feel so much better for it already.

It's hard to take in, particularly as a lot of people think it's something that affects mostly older folk. To be fare, in my ignorance I thought that too until I was diagnosed earlier this year-as the earlier posts suggest learn as much as you can and try and keep moving. I know thats the last thing you want to do when ur hurting but it does help. I also use a micro wave wheat bag - It has been my constant companion for the last 2 years. In fact I now have 3 which i use on what ever bits of me that are hurting at any particular time!

Take care

Traceyxx
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Hello Donna

So sorry you have been diagnosed with OA at an early age but it doesnt mean you cant have a happy and full life. I found this forum recently and wish I had found it years ago as the people are so kind, supportive and helpful. I am 38 and have had OA in all my joints since childhood. Until recently I have pushed myself every day to try to be like everone else and I really wish I hadnt done this as it has caused me so much pain and also caused my OA to get a lot worse in recent years. I found it hard to accept that I have arthritis and shrugged it off as if it didnt matter, keeping my feelings and fears to myself most of the time. Luckily I met a wonderful man 11 years ago who accepted me the way I was and he has helped me accept that I have arthritis and has encouraged me to seek help from doctors, physios etc and it was the best thing I ever did. With the right exercise and pain control you will get on just fine and you will prolong the life of your joint before a replacement would be necessary. I have had a toe replacement and am having both my hips replaced in 2 weeks time. I hope it gives me a whole new life and its amazing what surgery can do. The people on this forum have helped me so much with all my worries and fears, I dont know how I managed without them in the past and I am sure we can all help you too. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will answer you as best I can. Sorry for rambling on for ages you must all be bored by now.

Love Jean x
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • lilyflower
    lilyflower Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi Donna, welcome to the forum.
    I was diagnosed at 35 with OA of the knee, 20 years later I've had 3 arthroscopies on the knee which helped each time for a few years.
    I now have it in both knees and awaiting an appointment to see consultant yet again. Its also spread to my feet neck and shoulder.
    You have to keep positive and don't give in to the pain (as hard as it is) I've managed an active life up to now. The secret is to keep moving and follow a good excersice plan. Make sure you get refered for physio the sooner you get suitable excercises the better.
    Lots of luck Jackie
  • dfawke
    dfawke Member Posts: 19
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum......you should get all the answers you need here.
    As time goes on you'll know what questions you want to ask so just ask and someone will be on to answer you.
    Also as sticky says check the books/leaflets on the front page of the website...yes there is one for osteo arthritis but there are also other ones
    ones that might be helpful.
    Pain is one of them
    Working with OA {dont know if you work or not} anyway have a look at them and then send off for what you need....or you might see them....in your doctors or in your hospital {usually the physio dept} I am a volunteer for Arthritis Care and thats one of the things i do....go around keeping certain hospitals and doctors waiting rooms stocked withn these leaflets and the arthritis magazine as well
    Arthritis Care lealet are in our physio dept.....Arthritis Research {nothing to do with me :lol: } are kept in the x ray dept of our local hospital
    By the way...I have OA.....hips, lower spine, ankle and neck. Also had 1 hip replacement

Love
    Hileena
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Hi Donna and a huge welcome to this wonderful site.

I think everyone has said it all so don't need to add anything.

Take care hun and look forward to reading some of your posts.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eve
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Donna

just a quickie to say Hello from me.

Good to meet you and hope you find the forums as helpful as l have :smile:

Love

Toni xx