Meth/Folic Acid, a couple of questions!

Options
keith1971
keith1971 Member Posts: 302
edited 23. Jul 2011, 08:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey everyone,

Saw my rheumy today and am starting meth tomorrow (+ a short course of steroids to tide me over apparently).

My starter dose is 7.5mg and I was just wondering what the general consensus was about best time of day to take it. I've read some people like to take it at night to sleep through any possible nausea etc.

I have a 3yr old to look after all day so can't really afford to be laid up in bed. If I take it in the morning is it likely I'll feel peaky straight away? I know some people don't have any side effects at all!

All info as ever gratefully received.

Cheers,

K.

p.s. the pharmacist said to take 5mg of folic acid a few days after, not the next day, is that right?
315yexv.jpg

Comments

• nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Keith, 7.5mg is peanuts, you shouldn't have any problems with it, I'm now on 20mg and only started feeling sick etc. at 15mg. I take folic acid 5 days per week as I now split my dose of meth and take one on Tuesday and one on Wednesday so that I don't get any side effects. I started off with folic acid only once a week but because I suffered from a really sore mouth and tongue it was increased, I don't have any problems now. All these changes have been made/suggested by rheumy so I know it's ok to do it this way. Perhaps you could talk to yours next time you see him/her or before if you get any problems. Good luck, I hope you get on ok.

Sue x

P.S. Started meth 6 years ago
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Keith,
    I take 5mg folic acid every day except the day of taking methotrexate, that's what I've done since i started on metho. Mind you I started at 10mg and went up to 25mg on tablets, I coped ok on them Keith, but what I did do was listen to my fab Rheumy who said to take the methotrexate one hour after my evening meal and as we eat quite late (work and 3 teenage lads!) it meant I was off to bed a couple of hours after that. I didn't suffer with any side effects at all. I'm now on 20mg injection methotrexate and doing well.
    Best of luck Keith, I really hope it works fantastically and you'll be up and running around after your 3yr old :grin: xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Keith,

All the best of luck with mtx. It really helped me and hope it does the same for you.

I take folic acid 6 days a week but when I only took it once, I used to take it the day before MTX day. Everyone seems to get difference advice, so I'd follow the advice of your rheumy or pharmacy if I were you.

I felt quite sick even a on low dose but I started prenisolone at the same time, so I wasn't sure which one was making me ill, it might have been both. Mtx made me feel sick and very tired when I took it in the morning. Now I take it at night, after dinner, before bed. The side effects have drastically improved since then. I'd highly recommend taking it one evening before bed.

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on. :)
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Hi Keith

Yep I would say take it in the evening too..

Marion
  • keith1971
    Options
    Thanx everyone for the well wishes and advice. Looks like i'll be giving it a go after dinner tomorrow then given what you've all said. The dose will be increased over the next couple of months if I get on okay with it.....swollen fingers crossed :roll:

With the steroids, should I expect to be up and auditioning for Riverdance by the weekend? I'll be taking 7.5mg of pred
    :???:

X
    315yexv.jpg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Keith

sounds like a plan!! :grin:

I am glad you are getting some help now. l was starting to worry about you :wink:

Are you going to try the chip butty method???

Love

Toni xx
  • keith1971
    Options
    Thanx Toni......

I did read the post about the chip butty method but unfortunately I've given up potatoes and am trying to stay gluten free :sad:

I'm gonna try the gluten free pasta and tzatziki method, it's strictly experimental at the moment, I'm acting as my own guinea pig :wink:

x x
    315yexv.jpg
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Hi Keith,

I've been on Meth for about a year now.

Was on a very low dose to start with, now on 25g.

I usually take mine on a Saturday night with the folic acid on the Sunday morning.

Usually the sickness/yucky feeling doesn't come until around the Wednesday but it doesn't last long. Although I very rarely get the sickness/yucky feeling these days.

If you do feel sick, other than taking the folic acid tablet, suggest you take a mint or chewing gum. This usually helps me.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I've taken MTX (20mgs at first, then 22.5, now down to 15) for about 10 years with no side effects at all other than the occasional really tired day, usually the day after taking it but sometimes the day after that. Having said that I do take Lansoprazole for other reasons.

I've always been told to take the folic acid the day after and then 3 days after that.

Hope it works for you, Keith.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • williamlargs
    williamlargs Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Good luck mate

As you saw on my update post the other day after one year I have been reduced to 15mg meth. To be honest apart from a little fatigue in the early days I don't get any side effects. I take one folic acid tab 3 days after taking my meth which is usually on a Tuesday.

Once again good luck hope it goes well for you. If it is at all possible keep as positive an attitude as you can. I know it ain't easy but it does help big time.
  • keith1971
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I'm 3hrs away from my first dose.....not that I'm counting or anything :wink:

I find ginger is great for nausea too Debra, peppermint definitely helps like you said.

Tryin' to keep my chin up William, struggling a little at the moment but life goes on eh?
    315yexv.jpg
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Evening Keith!

Based on your last post, I'm guessing you've done your meth by now? Hope all is well. Please do keep us posted.

Thinking of you.

Tilly xxx
  • keith1971
    Options
    I've done my meth! Sounds more decadent than the reality eh?

Apart from a bit of wind, nothing to report thus far. :mrgreen:
    315yexv.jpg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    HI keith
    Sorry Im am no help what so ever, but I just want to wish you well with it all, and please keep us updated has to how you are doing.
    Take care...
    Dare I send some hugs they are manly ones honest...(((()))) :grin:
    Love
    Barbara
  • keith1971
    Options
    Cheers Barbara, hugs are most welcome. Real men hug and cuddle :grin:
    315yexv.jpg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    keith1971 wrote:
    Cheers Barbara, hugs are most welcome. Real men hug and cuddle :grin:
    You are very welcome
    Take Care
    Love
    Barbara
  • keith1971
    Options
    Hey.........

I know I'm only on a low dose right now but I feel fine this morning after taking my first tabs last night. Was just a little windy last night :lol:

I was expecting to feel like I was being dragged through hell backwards, so feeling relieved that all I have to contend with today are the usual arthritic pains & swelling :roll:

x
    315yexv.jpg
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    glad not as bad as expected keep going you will get there yep have heard tell real men love proper hugs (not telling which of our men told me that) val
    val