Which anti-TNF to choose now?

Options
cherrybim
cherrybim Member Posts: 334
edited 22. Jul 2011, 14:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Disappointingly Cimzia hasn't worked for me.

Yesterday the rheumy nurse went through the available options with me. She said she wouldn't really advise the hospital administered infusions as they were time consuming and inconvenient for the patient who had to spend most of the day in the hos, getting bored to tears in the process :sad:

The remaining options are Humira, Enbrel and the new kid on the block Golimumab (Simponi) She said it was entirely my choice and I would find when I read the leaflets that they were all pretty much cut and paste :smile: Yep, she was right on that score with the exception of the Simponi where it says that it may take up to 5 months to be eliminated from the body. "This may be relevant if you are about to have surgery" (Well I'm not at this moment but it's on the cards for the foreseeable future)

I realise that what suits one may not suit another but I would welcome any comments. I note that they are all "by pen" whereas with Gold and Cimzia I've been used to a needle but I guess it's just a matter of practise to use a pen correctly?!

Cherry x

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Epipen is so easy to use , even I manage it with my elegant claw hands ! I'm a humira person , not a huge benefit as I'd had RA for 30 years before it was tried , but certainly no problems whatsoever . Good luck with which ever one you pick . Jillyb
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Hi,

I have AS and after numerous different tablets was put on Enbrel last November and I can't tell you what a difference it has made to my life. I sleep through the night, the pain in my back has decreased incredibly although still having problems with perifial joints (that could be just me), I inject myself once a week which I woukd never have believed I woukd have done. I seen the difference in a couple of weeks and touch wood (touches wood) apart from one chest infection in December and teaching I have have been very well.

It is of course a personal thing how you take to which one but for me I woukd highly recommend Enbrel, hope this helps. X
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help you, cherrybim. I've never done the stabbing stuff but I hope whatever you opt for works well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi

I am an enbrel user but mine is by needle and not pen, as you say what suits one doesn't suit another but I have had very good results on enbrel and I'm very pleased with how well it controls my RA.

Good luck

debs
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have been on humira for nearly 3 years and it has helped a lot. I use a needle and am a dab hand at it now. My only issue is with the chest infections which I seemto get all the time.
    Good luck Cherrybim. I will be swanning down the promenade at some point in August...
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein