DECORATING HOSPITAL CRUTCHES?????

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 26. Jul 2011, 05:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hoi....A few questions......
It looks like I will have these crutches {elbow} for a while....They are hospital crutches.....what do you think about decorating them??? Could i get away with it? :eek:
If you think i could.....any suggestions what to use or how to do it? :?:
I havent been bothered up to the minute because I've just been using them around the house but I'm feeling as if i could get out a bit now....{still cant walk very fa}r....and would like to personalise them :eek:
:lol::lol:
I know you can buy sticks and crutches that are decorated but why..... if I can get awy with pimping the hospital ones :lol::lol:

Love
Hileena

Comments

• weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hileena

I have been using crutches for ten years now and I also got fed up with plain old grey ones. My husband had the idea of buying all different colours of electrical tape and made mine multicoloured. This tape sticks really well and it comes in bright colours. I also tied coloured ribbon at the cuffs and it hangs down. You might think I am a bit mad but since I have to use the crutches I might as well make a statement with them. You can buy designer crutches but they cost a fortune. I bought the coloured electrical tape at the pound shop and the ribbon on Ebay and it only cost a few pounds. Hope this helps. Have fun.
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Jean,
    Tht sounds a good idea.....my husband has all sorts in that shed of his :lol: The only thing is wht happens if the hospital wants them back in a few months time?? :eek:

Love
    Hileena
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    If the hospital wants them back you just take the tape off, it comes off easily. If it leaves sticky stuff behind you just take cotton wool and some lighter fluid and the sticky stuff rubs off with very little effort.
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks,
    You probably think I'm crackers {probably right :lol: } but I dont want to walk around with these even for a few months.

Love
    Hileena
  • Pherstun
    Pherstun Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Hi, I have my 'own' sticks and I have wrapped ribbon round them.

The one I have used is slightly stretchy but I don't think it would matter, just need to get some that's wide. If you go to a good craft shop they should have some. Make sure you buy plenty though, it's surprising how much you need!

Debbie
  • hileena111
    edited 23. Jul 2011, 04:06
    Options
    Thanks Debbie
    I'll have a look at that as well as the electrical tape.....when I'm out today.
    I also wonder about seperate stickers to put on them??? What kind I dont know yet :lol: You know the pages of stickers you can get??

Love
    Hileena
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    It sounds a great idea. I was given a walker by physio yesterday and I intend to decorate it! It has a really boring plain black bag that I intend to change to maybe pink? Lol

Have fun!
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    I was in hospital until just before xmas last year.
    When I came out my grand daughter tinselled my zimmer
    frame. When I took it back the nurses thought it looked
    brilliant and said they would keep the tinsel on.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I'm allowed to keep my elbow crutches and never thought to decorate them. I probably should, they aren't all that attractive, are they?! :lol: I have named them, however. One is Billy and the new one is Milly. I got the new one because Phyllis was wobbly and causing my shoulder pain. She's gone back to the manafacturer. I think you should name your crutches too! :grin:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Great idea Hileena

so long as you can restore them l think it's perfect for you :wink:

....Milly and Billy....nice one starburst too

Love

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    Options
    :lol::lol: I'm just realising I'm not the only mad one on here :lol:
    Milly and Billy ...Love it.....never thought about naming them :lol:
    I like the idea of tinsel....pity it wsnt closer to Christmas :lol:
    Suzy.....out of curiosity...how would you change your bag...what would you do to it?

So thats a couple of questions now....thanks for the answers that have come in already
    How to decorate them......what with etc {I knbow I've got a few ideas already thanks
    2nd question.....Lets have some names :lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    How about Jack and Jill Hileena :lol::lol: yes I'm quite mad too after reading this i've just decided to call mine Bill and Ben :roll:
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • Melrymax
    Melrymax Member Posts: 226
    Options
    Cover them with masking tape and then get kids to colour them in or paint. Or even yourself if you are a bit arty :)
  • hileena111
    Options
    I'm not su sure about that last suggestion :lol:
    I'm not at all arty and not sure that I know any kids that are :lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • Melrymax
    Options
    Lol. In work we get the patients children to bring some pens in to decorate mums teds stockings
  • hileena111
    Options
    I've heard of plasters being decorated but never teds.......anyhing to cheer those dreadful things up :lol: or me when I was wearing them :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • Melrymax
    Options
    Lol it works a treat as the kids can visit with other family that want to stay a while and not get Too bored and play up
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    TED stockings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WHO mentioned them????????????

No No No!!!

I thought the nightmare had ended!!!
  • hileena111
    Options
    It wasnt me.....never want to hear about those dreadful things again!!!!! :eek: :eek:
    its good that speedy isnt on much these days.....she would have something to add to that as well...we were suffering at the same time :eek: :eek:

Love
    Hileena
  • Melrymax
    Options
    Sorry :(. Was only sharing an idea :| Oh well never mention the t word again :grin:
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I'm kinda used to Ted now. He's my friend. :wink:
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Hileena, I am not sure how to change the bag on the wheeler, I thought maybe buying a new one or asking a friend who sews to help me. The plain black is very boring, and if I jazz it up, it will be more 'me'!!! :grin:
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Suzy,
    I agree with you....I would like to change it as well but {as you can tell...not arty :lol: }

Its a second hand scooter I have and when i was buying it ...it didnt have a bag on it......had a basket on the front but that was all. Salesman showed me some bags that went on the back of them....but they were dull and black so I said no I have now got a rucksack on the back of it...BRIGHT PURPLE :lol::lol::lol:

I dont do grocery shppping on my own.....this is just to carry things I might need :lol: and when I'm at the Metro center center I buy tissues for the house, baby wipes and biggish things like that ....Try buying 2 or 3 packs of each and it soon takes up some room.....so its ideal for that.

A few people who have been on scooters have stopped and said where did you get your bag, the only one they offered my was a black one...they havent noticed its a rucksack :lol: Just a bright bag

Let me know if you do get something different or do something to it...I would love to know

Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Well I've done a bit of decorating :lol::lol: It would need to be Peter that would do the tape....no way could I do that....I was out for a short time today and bought a couple of cards with kids hair bobbles on them...some of them were fat and some of them were thin...£1 for each card...so I bought those and thought I have a go.....It doesnt look bad but thats not to say I wont change it :lol: Each one goes twice round the stick and the amount I've got just do from under the handle to halfway down the crutch...I'll have a think and see if I'll do anything else.
    Thanks for your answers to this ...you mad bunch :lol::lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Still thinking how to do mine, I had a mad idea in the middle of the night. I have a fake fur handbag that I absolutely love, leopardskin. Thinking of putting that on the walker somehow!!! :grin: Bit Bet Lynch!!! :shock: