Hospital Visit

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 24. Jul 2011, 08:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I've been a bit down this last few days. I think it was the trip to the hospital physio to look at my neck scan.
After a long wait we went in and she was said that basically the neck looked OK. It was so difficult talking to her as she kept stopping and dictating into her recorder, I thought she was talking to me and so answered her and was firmly told to be quite she wasn't talking to me! My husband asked she was talking to as the he'd heard her say dear Dr .... which was not any of the doctors at my practice. She asked the name of my doctor and changed it. It worried me a bit because she called me in using a slightly different name, but as people do read my name wrongly, I just got up and asked if she meant me, she said yes.

Basically she didn't seem interested in me and when I mentioned my problems with my lower spine and hips, she told me she didn't do those and said she was only interested in my upper body. She thinks its something to do with my shoulder and is going to refer me to the 'Shoulder Man'. :shock: She could well be right, I do get pain in my shoulder, but I can't help thinking the numbness and electric shock type pains are not shoulder. Oh well, I feel like just giving up with the hospital, but Jerry thinks that I should follow it through. Sorry to go on, Love Sue xx

Your surname was removed for your own security
Moderator EH

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry you had a bad experience its just dreadful when they talk as if youre not there,keep at it dont let them get away with it,how do you get on with your gp,maybe they could help.hope you feel better soon.Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Oh dear. I know these people are often rushed and have too many patients but sometimes I just wish they'd try to remember how much we have invested, both physically and emotionally, in such visits. As for the dictaphone - don't get me started. I know it's a valuable tool but sometimes I just want to grab it and chuck it out of the window - open or not.

Don't give up, Sue. The 'shoulder man' might be a real human being who talks to people as well as machines. He might be a real hunk into the bargain. And, at least, he's not her.

I agree with Mig. Ask your GP what (s)he got - surely a good, comprehensive report as the woman was so pre-occupied with it. And, don't forget the arthritics' motto - KBO.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Sue

I am sorry that you had a bad time at the hospital. These consultants dont understand how hard it is for us to even get there, and they can come across as very rude. Those dictaphone things drive me mad as well, I'm never sure who they are talking too.

In our neck of the woods, any letters sent from consultants, we get a copy as well.

You must keep going, as your hubby said. You've got this far, keep going, you need to know what is wrong.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Sue

J is right - you do have to try to follow it through....she sounded pretty uselss to be honest and should not tell you to be quiet!!!!

How very rude :evil

If the shoulder man says it's not thet then you have to see your GP....maybe you can see someone other than her?? Sometimes they do let you dont they?

Love

toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    What a rude woman and what an awful appointment Sue.
    Have you contacted your GP or are you likely to?
    Do you get copied into the letters that go from your docs/consultants etc?
    If not I'm sure if you ask at reception they will copy you into it.
    Ours isnt an automatic thing.......you have to ask and then you automatically get any letters that come from them. I find it very helpful

Love
    Hileena
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I think that if I'd known who I was seeing before I went I wouldn't have gone. The last time I saw her was bad in a similar way.
    She isn't a doctor, she's a Senior Truma and Orthopeadic Physio. I know that often someone like that may be better as they often have a great deal of experience, but I am feeling now as if the hospital have really lost interest in me and are passing me around, just to keep me quiet! This may be paranioa!

We are going on holiday on Tues for a week, when we get back I'm going to book an appointment with my GP and talk things over with her. Thank you for listening! :wink: Love Sue
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    oh how rude!! who the hell do some of these people think they are??? how dare she tell you to be quiet a finger to her lips would've shown you she needed quiet... to use dicta thingy...

i could swear some of these drs really think something special! they wont ever feel the way we do and therefore wont know how we feel...
    the pains we get, the depression the sleepless nights the tears the feeling of hopelessness, how we feel no one knows how we feel unless they suffer the same as us, even then its still different...

go back to your Dr.... good luck and hope they help you xx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png