Flipping NHS Dentists

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 24. Jul 2011, 08:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Oooh im so hopping mad and in pain.....
Had a filling done a week n bit ago by a new dentist at our nhs practice...He freaked me out cos on my notes is says i dont like needles so he hacked out a filling and redid it with no numbing!!! I do need it and i hate needles but i was gripping seat like billyo!!
Anyway he said i shouldnt get food stuck there but it may need to be filled deeper if still get pain etc...So a few days later sure enough the food, even soft stuff such as pasta was going in this dam tooth and it was hurting too...So rings up place..."Oh we cant fit you in today (ok it was 4pm) but you got to call on fri morning at 8.45 for emergency app cos thats when we allocate emergency apps....So i was up then gets woman answerphone "there is nobody here pls leave messge" after 40 mins of trying this got in car....Gets there and magically a denitst is sick today we cant fit you in, can you get 45mins away to barrow....No i said cos i cant dirve that far and am on limited income.....Gets told to go to emergency section at hospital, had argument that they wont take me cos im registered with nhs dentist, they insisst theyre right...So goes to emergency place last night 7.15 to be told "he hasnt deep filled this tooth, we only do emergency fillings, sorry"......So i was right...Left a message on answer machine last night, not hopping mad but cool, telling them i was right i needed a dentist to re-fill my tooth or else i will get gum infection with food going into gap....Sure enough today have bleeding gums....
Have been like in a dental pinball machine sent from here to timbuctoo!!! Its no better than being without an nhs dentist...If they dont phone me asap on monday morning which they have promised i will be proper spitting chips!!!!
They shouldnt have the contract for this, even review on website for oasis, kendal says its pants!!!

Elainex

Comments

• liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    hope you get it sorted soon xx
    have lots of sympathy for you, my crown fell off in january and its been stuck on several times but now no more as the actual tooth has crumbled away... so in jan/feb not 100% sure which of the two months it was but they said they would write to the hospital for me to have an extraction.... i waited and waited, in may i called my dentist back and asked if its always this long a wait, said she will call me back... 2 days later she called and said something about losing the letter.. didnt really take onboard, anyways i then got an appointment to go to see the dentist at the hospital july 6th, i was told they would send a letter for me... i asked roughly how long and was told 'a couple of months' i said but i been waiting since february, they checked and said they only heard in may.. i explained they lost the letter or didnt send it, also told them i am going to florida in september (8th) and was hoping it would be done before then..... i've since got an appointment for 26th august, its getting more sore by the day as it has crumbled below the gumline
    NHS dentists have us by the short n curlies!!
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    All the dentists I've been to recently seem to have trained at the Nazi Butcher School of Dentistry!

They should just take a hammer & pliers to our choppers and be done with it :evil
    315yexv.jpg
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Blimey Elaine, don't you get messed around in life!!!!!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I am so sorry you are having this happen to you. Tooth pain is the pits. I did try and get into Oasis but couldn't because they were only taking on private patients. I live in Tunbridge Wells and can't get an n.h.s dentist at all. Now I have had to go private, so I only go when really necessary.

I do hope you get somewhere on Monday, you cant go around with no filling in, that is asking for trouble. Shall keep my fingers crossed for you.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Liesa

Well thats just plain ridiculous waiting since february and all this losing letters and calling back...havent they heard of pain and infection???
    Its awful aint it?

Elainex
    liesa wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    hope you get it sorted soon xx
    have lots of sympathy for you, my crown fell off in january and its been stuck on several times but now no more as the actual tooth has crumbled away... so in jan/feb not 100% sure which of the two months it was but they said they would write to the hospital for me to have an extraction.... i waited and waited, in may i called my dentist back and asked if its always this long a wait, said she will call me back... 2 days later she called and said something about losing the letter.. didnt really take onboard, anyways i then got an appointment to go to see the dentist at the hospital july 6th, i was told they would send a letter for me... i asked roughly how long and was told 'a couple of months' i said but i been waiting since february, they checked and said they only heard in may.. i explained they lost the letter or didnt send it, also told them i am going to florida in september (8th) and was hoping it would be done before then..... i've since got an appointment for 26th august, its getting more sore by the day as it has crumbled below the gumline
    NHS dentists have us by the short n curlies!!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Keith

Perhaps they have but dont give em flipping idea about hammer and pliers my knee replacement will be a hammer n saw job!!

Elaine

Ps...You always remind me of morrisey in your photos!
    keith1971 wrote:
    All the dentists I've been to recently seem to have trained at the Nazi Butcher School of Dentistry!

They should just take a hammer & pliers to our choppers and be done with it :evil
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Elizabeth

Tell me about it...and today ive had a dirty look from the dental nurse today in M & S!!!

Elainex
    tkachev wrote:
    Blimey Elaine, don't you get messed around in life!!!!!

Elizabeth
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Karen

If youve missed out on Oasis youre probably better off, they leave a lot to be desired....My filling isnt open its just not been filled deep enough but anything even sucking a polo, a fragment of that went in the crack today!!

GRRR

Elainex
    constable wrote:
    I am so sorry you are having this happen to you. Tooth pain is the pits. I did try and get into Oasis but couldn't because they were only taking on private patients. I live in Tunbridge Wells and can't get an n.h.s dentist at all. Now I have had to go private, so I only go when really necessary.

I do hope you get somewhere on Monday, you cant go around with no filling in, that is asking for trouble. Shall keep my fingers crossed for you.

Karen xx
  • Pherstun
    Pherstun Member Posts: 96
    Options
    I do sympathise - sometimes dentists are a pain in the a*se as well as the pain in your mouth!

I'm lucky that I have a good dentist practice, it's not NHS so just in case I pay for their insurance, cos if I ever needed major work it would cost a fortune.

A bit of a ramble and a moan now about dentistry...

A few years ago I went to a routine appointment with the dentist and she said I had a problem with one of my wisdom tooth, so she drilled and filled it. Unfortunately it turned out she ended up leaving it with a hole in it which got painful.

I am resilient to the numbing meds at the dentist (I need gas and air really) so asked to go to the NHS hospital, so the dentists sent them a letter. It wasn't hurting too badly so I was prepared to wait instead of having to pay at a private hospital.

I got a first appointment a few months later at a private place the NHS were using. They only gave me two days notice of the appointment and because I couldn't get there they kicked me off the waiting list. I only found this out months later when I chased it up. Another letter was sent to the NHS.

Another year on, I got a first appointment at a second private place. I then couldn't get time off work for the treatment (he told me I'd need a week off to recover) as others were already on leave. I tried explaining to my manager why I needed the time, she said no, but I found out later that she didn't realise I didn't have a choice on the date (she thought as it was a private hospital that I was paying).

A couple of months later they gave me another date but I was about to go on holiday, so refused it. They said that because I'd refused two appointments, regardless of the reason, they had to kick me off the list (said they had no choice due to NHS time requirements) and that I needed to ask the dentist to send another letter to put me back on the list. Yet another letter was sent to the NHS!

Third year later I got an appointment with a third private place, who instead of just issuing a date said I could choose it! So finally I got my wisdom tooth pulled out. Fortunately it hadn't got so bad that I needed to resort to paying.

The 'moral' is that it's not always the private place's fault, sometimes it's the NHS putting restrictions and stuff into place.

Fingers crossed that you get yourself sorted quicker than I did!

Debbie
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Well i wont allow it to get that bad, they will treat it for me next week, i cannot keep going on with this pain as now think ive got the gum infection the person at hopsital told me i may get...It was their mistake they need to recitfy it, not mine....
    I dont pay thank god ive got a hc2 form!!

Elainex
    Pherstun wrote:
    I do sympathise - sometimes dentists are a pain in the a*se as well as the pain in your mouth!

I'm lucky that I have a good dentist practice, it's not NHS so just in case I pay for their insurance, cos if I ever needed major work it would cost a fortune.

A bit of a ramble and a moan now about dentistry...

A few years ago I went to a routine appointment with the dentist and she said I had a problem with one of my wisdom tooth, so she drilled and filled it. Unfortunately it turned out she ended up leaving it with a hole in it which got painful.

I am resilient to the numbing meds at the dentist (I need gas and air really) so asked to go to the NHS hospital, so the dentists sent them a letter. It wasn't hurting too badly so I was prepared to wait instead of having to pay at a private hospital.

I got a first appointment a few months later at a private place the NHS were using. They only gave me two days notice of the appointment and because I couldn't get there they kicked me off the waiting list. I only found this out months later when I chased it up. Another letter was sent to the NHS.

Another year on, I got a first appointment at a second private place. I then couldn't get time off work for the treatment (he told me I'd need a week off to recover) as others were already on leave. I tried explaining to my manager why I needed the time, she said no, but I found out later that she didn't realise I didn't have a choice on the date (she thought as it was a private hospital that I was paying).

A couple of months later they gave me another date but I was about to go on holiday, so refused it. They said that because I'd refused two appointments, regardless of the reason, they had to kick me off the list (said they had no choice due to NHS time requirements) and that I needed to ask the dentist to send another letter to put me back on the list. Yet another letter was sent to the NHS!

Third year later I got an appointment with a third private place, who instead of just issuing a date said I could choose it! So finally I got my wisdom tooth pulled out. Fortunately it hadn't got so bad that I needed to resort to paying.

The 'moral' is that it's not always the private place's fault, sometimes it's the NHS putting restrictions and stuff into place.

Fingers crossed that you get yourself sorted quicker than I did!

Debbie
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Not just NHS Elaine My wife spent a fortune on new dentures from an English dentist here Rubbish They don't fit properly and he doesn't want to know Good and bad everywhere
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    OMG Elaine that is my worst nightmare...I do not like dentist one bit...something to do with when I was a child...a long long time ago :roll:
    I do hope you get sorted...emergency indeed they dont know what that means.
    Good luck with it all....my teeth are tingling now just thinking about it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Tone

Hmm well i knew someone in spain and she couldnt even register with a doctor had to just go to chemists for over the counter stuff which seemed naff....

Elainex
    tonesp wrote:
    Not just NHS Elaine My wife spent a fortune on new dentures from an English dentist here Rubbish They don't fit properly and he doesn't want to know Good and bad everywhere
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

My gum/teeth in that area now hurt just using stupid electric toothbrush which i think is a load of rubbish! I want to be sorted as he knew this may happen as he told me when i came out of there "this should be okay but if not you will need to come back and get it filled deeper"...The git knew it was a 50/50 repair...

Elainex
    barbara12 wrote:
    OMG Elaine that is my worst nightmare...I do not like dentist one bit...something to do with when I was a child...a long long time ago :roll:
    I do hope you get sorted...emergency indeed they dont know what that means.
    Good luck with it all....my teeth are tingling now just thinking about it..