Not fun, not at all

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 26. Jul 2011, 06:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm just over 2 weeks post-op and I had a hospital appt. My consultant is on holiday and the one I saw wasn't very gentle. I really had a tough time wiggling my foot out of the cast before he finally got another tool to cut it some more. Removing the stitches wasn't too bad but I'd worked myself up into a right state and felt really sick. I was surprised at how battered and bruised my ankle is and at the size of the scar. The arthroscopy incision is small though. My entire foot and ankle is tingly, stone cold and very sore. I can't walk without crutches either and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to for a few weeks yet.

I see my consultant again when I'm 5 weeks post-op and then I'll be referred for physio. I'm meant to be resting and trying to start weight bearing. I expected to be able to walk and I'm gutted at the prospect of another 2 1/2 weeks on the sofa at home.

My other ankle has the same problem (it will eventually need operating on too) and I'm in agony putting all my weight on it. To top things off, I have flared up in hands, wrists and elbows. I started sulfa earlier this week and I hope it does it's thing as quickly as possible!

I've been incredibly tearful over the past few days. I had been feeling really ill but now I have some energy back and I desperately wanted to get up and moving.

Sorry for the long moan. I thought you guys, especially those who've had operations, would understand what it's like.

Sophie xx

Comments

• keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hey........

I guess patience is the key here, frustrating as it may be when as you say, you feel like you have some get up & go in you right now.

I haven't had an operation but I'm in the 2nd month of a horrible flare-up and know how annoying it is sitting on the sofa (or in bed) wanting to do something & being physically unable to do so.

I keep telling myself it's only temporary and my new meds will start working and I'll be back up & fighting soon.......just need to listen to my body and give it the rest it deserves.

Hope you feel better soon.

x x
    315yexv.jpg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I can feel your frustration, Sophie, but it really is early days. You mustn't be too hard on yourself. Your poor ankle has really been through the mill and needs plently of tlc before it'll play it's full part in getting you places but it will happen. You say it looks very battered and bruised. That's exactly what's happened to it and, even when it looks OK on the surface, there'll still be a lot of healing to happen underneath. Patience is definitely not one of my virtues (Difficult to name one, really!) but it will definitely pay off here.

Having everything else flare really is ****'s law. Could your rheumatologist or his/her nurse help here? Maybe a few more meds to tide you over the next few weeks.

The tearfulness is very common at some stage post op. So much to take on board. Home, while being lovely, is not as easy to deal with as hospital and then the urge to get things in motion before your body is ready is so frustrating. But your foot has to get used to weight-bearing again and all the bits that help it have (a) been chopped about and (b) had a long sleep. It will happen and the foot will start to look a healthier colour. Just try to be patient and be prepared to ask for further meds if necessary. Keep us posted.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Pherstun
    Pherstun Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Hi Sophie

I've not had an op (yet) myself but I can imagine and understand your frustration. You want to get up and about to do things but your ankle just won't let you.

As sticky has said it'll be doing a lot of healing, an ankle is a very complex piece of equipment on the human body, so you must give the body time and rest to do its job.

I can imagine you being tearful as well, especially since you thought you'd be more mobile and I'd imagine you'll now be more worried than before about how well it's going to heal etc. I would imagine too that your body kicking in to do so much repair work will be making you feel very drained and ill, as it will be devoting a huge amount of resources to this area.

Get some good DVD's on the box, a coffee/tea machine next to the sofa, and get some people round to pamper you!

(((hugs)))

Debbie
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I'm not surprised that you didn't feel well when they took the stiches out, it sounds very unpleasant to me! :x I'm sure that things will improve for you soon. Your poor old ankle has not been used for a while and the plaster must effect the circulation, it must take a while to get things going again.
    AT the moment it must seem that time drags for you, but when you are able to get out and about, I'm sure things will improve a lot. Lots of Get Well wishes and love Sue xxx (((())) :wink:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Oh Sophie :sad:

Your poor thing!

You have had surgery! You are maybe being a little hard on yousrelf....read your post back and you will see....if it were anyone else you would be saying:

It's only been a short time....you are clearly flaring anyway so how can you be expecting yousrelf to be able to weight bear when you can't help with your hands?? This is what we usually do and with our GOOD ankle. You have neither.

Also a heck of a lot of us suffer with our spirits and emotions post op.

I will cross fingers the sulfa kicks in ASAP

Please take care :sad:

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I really appreciate the encouraging words. I had a good cry followed by a good sleep and I feel a bit more positive today. xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm glad you're feeling a bit better today, Sophie. I think so much is cause by expectations v reality. Plus the pain of the reality. Your ankle will get better but, as mig says, it's a very complex joint, more so than a knee or hip. Trying to balance the need to give it time to heal while not overburdening already painful 'other joints' must be both difficult and painful. I hope the new meds kick in quickly.
    Steven Wright
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    Crikey no wonder you feel so tearful... you poor thing...
    like others have said i think your expecting way to much or the Dr is... i remember when i broke my foot 4 weeks in plaster then expected to weight bear and be 'normal' it took months and physio to get mobile again... your poor ankle has been really through the mill... be careful with what you do or you will make it worse, try a little at a time.. just sitting with foot to the floor and starting gently exercising it... but take painkillers about an hour before,
    hope your soon feeling more mobile but only gently weightbare dont try it as soon as u get up..
    good luck remember we are here for you to sound off to,
    ((hugs)) xx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • Starburst
    Options
    I'm feeling more optimistic and able to put some pressure on my ankle. I wouldn't say I can walk (aided by crutches) but I am kinda slide it along the floor and occasionally lift it up and place it back down. Amusing for those watching me! :lol:

Unfortunately, the actual wound is sore and burning. It's leaking some unpleasant coloured stuff. Also, the doctor left a stitch in. He's managed to squeeze me into his clinic tomorrow. Yay, trip out of the house! hehe xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hope it goes well for you today, Starburst. These docs & their dropped stitches! Don'rt overdo the walking thing no matter how much your audience enjoys it.
    Steven Wright