What is the cause of Osteoarthritis

Options
tonesp
tonesp Member Posts: 844
edited 25. Jul 2011, 04:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
For years I followed a low fat healthy diet and played squash and badminton 3 or four times a week Do we bring it on ourselves by our lifestyles or is it genetic Since my THR I am raring to go again Can I prevent any more or am I doomed to more pain Any thoughts??? :???: :???:

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Tones
    I am always asking that question, I have gone to the gyn for over 20 years, eaten loads of calcium rich foods...non of my family have been affected...its just not fair...but I would honestly like to know the answer.
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I don't know what causes it, Tonesp, but I know they reckon light exercise and a healthy diet/weight help prevent it. Squash & badminton might be overdoing it a bit, especially with knees as they'll take some hammering. Swimming's supposed to be the best as the water supports the joints.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Melrymax
    Melrymax Member Posts: 226
    Options
    I am not sure about yours but for me, my cause was from birth.

I was born with clicky hips, as a baby/toddler I used to have to wear 2 nappies at a time. When whoever it was felt that I was "cured" they stopped this and let me be 'normal' :lol:
    In my late teens(maybe changes due to puberty) I started having clicky hips constantly with slight aches. When I went to the gp I was told nothing was wrong. And gradually with the wear and tear (friction) of my hips clicking in and out of place it has worn down the cartilage and therefore years later being diagnosed with oa.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    As far as I know it can be {not always} heredtary

Hileena
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Tones

I wish we all knew the answer to that one, :roll: and I am glad you have asked and will be watching to see the replies if anyone can add to the above.

I personally think there has to be several possibles, genetics sadly being one though it might skip generations. Another that for us OAers for some reason the normal wear and tear repair mechanism goes awray, and of course there is the former injuries which may be the culprit and catch up with us eventually? Long term weight issues must sadly play a part too for some people which can start a vicious circle they can't exercise to do much about!

Since I have never had a weight issue and have been a healthy and active person pre OA which started at about age 40, I blame my manky hips on one of two things. Being a prem baby and hauled out with forceps that has got to store up trouble for the hips!!! Or since the left is the worst, having the misfortune to fall off my bike with some style aged about 11.

Hope you do stay free of it, keep up the healthy lifestyle and try not to fall off your bike eh!

take care
    Chris
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    My OA is a combination of things apparently. Part of it is down to my genes (both grandparents on both sides of the family had it and now both of my parents have it too). I have been told that it goes back further than that as well so I think I was doomed.

I was also involved in a near fatal car accident at the age of 15 where I was hit by a car travelling at 50mph. I have been told that as I was hit on the right side of my body this is likely to be the cause of my OA on the right.

Finally I was told by my doctor that most people have OA but it only appears in some when it is painful or it is found because of an investigation for something else.

Not sure if any of it makes a blind bit of difference. It happens when it happens and to it wants to.
    Jakib0644.gif
  • Melrymax
    Melrymax Member Posts: 226
    Options
    Ah forgot about weight. In the past 5 years I have piled 4 stone on
    Also forgot about injury. I fell of my motorbike 6 years ago which resulted in a bash to my (worse) hip and was bad for a few days.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Tone

obviously if you do something to excess...like sport or have an accident it puts stress on your bones, but other than that l have always thought it just bad luck :sad:

OA affects a heck of a lot of us in the end you knwo to a greater or lesser extend....maybe we have a 'use by' date :lol:

Love

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Oh yes I forgot about accidents.....thats usually called trauma....I had an accident about 3 yrs ago where a car knocked me down, reversed over my ankle and drove over it. It was well smashed but now I've developed arthritis in it....doesnt give me much trouble AT THE MOMENT...just swollen and tingley feeling in it.
    The rest...hips etc thats heriditary

Love
    Hileena
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    My Mum had really bad OA, and now I have it, funny thing is that mine has come in the same pattern as hers. :roll: I am not as bad as she was but then I am a lot younger than she was when I remember her at her worst.
    I think their is some research going on at the moment, but I'm not sure. Arthritis Research is a very good UK web site and funds a lot of research projects.
    Love Sue
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,942
    Options
    Hi Tonesp
    when i went to the gym i was told by a trainer going to the gym wears your body sooner but gets you fitter and healther.
    one way or the other we get it.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What causes it? The ultimate gamble called life. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    I played soccer until my RA at 46 and walked a heck of a lot too but little strenuous walking for the last 10 years and not overweight but still have OA in knees.

With RA you do, eventually, get OA - or so they told me when they first decided I needed new knees.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    H Tone,

I have a feeling they don't know what causes it as yet... it was always just ignored but according to Jo on the helplines they are now dong a lot more in the research of it and thats years over due.

What does seem to be the case is some of us have bones and cartilage that for some reason is prowned to oa..... I had it established to show on xray in my teens and they said my bones just were doing the premature aging degeneration thing. Some unfortunately is inevitable as age comes to us I think.....

I wish there had been research int it in the same way the inflammatories have had but at east they are now dong some and maybe in the future there will be some help to try and stop it spreading like it does...

mind the spreading is easier to explain (or so my back consultant said) its cus one joint caves and the others are then not in line as it is all off kilt cus of the effected joint.

Its a horrible and relentless thing and well I wish they could replace backs and necks so much ..... though for me it would also kick start the ethics.

Hope your still flying along? You give me hope :wink: Cris x
  • dfawke
    dfawke Member Posts: 19
    Options
    If only i new the answers to your questions? i am asking myself the same sort of things, iv always enjoyed swimming which is supposed to be the best form of exercise for your joints.
    Iv recently been diagnosed with oa of the knee and feel mine is hereditory as my mother was diagnosed at a youngish age aswel.
    I am just starting to get my head around it now tho and have come to the conclusion of not worrying wot we all could have done in hindsite, but wot we can do to make the rest of our lives the best and healthiest possible.
    Im working on losing a stone in weight and gaining some tips from this site as to how to cope with this.
    donna x