Pain getting on my nerves

Options
constable
constable Member Posts: 2,115
edited 25. Jul 2011, 13:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi , I want to have a moan. For the last week or so my back has been so painful. Feels like a trapped nerve, with pain going down right leg and pain in the left knee. As you all know I had my THR nearly 12 weeks ago. My actual hip is feeling pretty good now. It's just this continual pain in the lower back, stopping me from sleeping again, and unable to get around as I was.

I was really looking forward to seeing my parents-in-law, we're going there on Tuesday, thinking I would be able to do much more than usual, but now beginning to realise that it's not going to happen. I want to be fitter for my girls and husband. Just so fed up at the moment, I really do hate myself at the moment. Taking pain dullers but the only thing that seems to help is oramorph, so cant keep taking that.

I am making myself look an idiot when I do have to go out. The pain as I said is always there, but suddenly an overwelming shoot of pain leave me shouting out or making weird expressions on my face,

I just want to go to bed and stay there if I could. Sorry but I really feel so p***ed of with myself.

I know I am being a silly moo but just wanted to express how I am feeling at the moment.

Sorry

Karen xx
Karen xx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Karen

Do NOT hate yourself!!! You are lovely :shock:

You might just be like me - slow to recover from surgery.....l was the biggest baby ever :oops: and although l had to go back to work withing 9 weeks of my op l suffered for a good while longer. I have done those shouts in public and embarrassed myself and also woken up to hear some idiot whimpering to find out it was ME :oops:

Now have you had Physio?? If you have and have finished myabe you could ask to be referred again or maybe you need an xray to be sure what is going on??

It DOES sound like it could be your back though to me, but wonder have you had it xrayed? Often when one joint isn't right (your case hip)other parts of the body are under more pressure.

HUGE hugs for you Karen

Love

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 24. Jul 2011, 04:52
    Options
    Hi Karen
    You aren't being silly......we all have to have a vent.
    I'm not going to be a lot of help but think of all the muscles, pulling about etc that was done during the op....its nothing small....as someone said to me after mine dont forget they actually take your hip out and tend to just fling it about {or some of them do} this was a nurse saying this.
    If you aren't happy with oromorph can you not find something else that will help.....what about amitrip? tht seems to work for a lot of people who waken up with pain.....with me it was slow release naproxam that sorted it out during the night.
    Hopefully someone will come along with something more sensible than i can
    What about an x ray on your back......sometimes you find the hip people say its your back and the back people say its your hip???

Just sending you gentle hugs (((((()))))))))

Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Ooopppsss...Toni and i seem to have posted at the same time

Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think Toni's advice is very sound, Karen, but I guess it doesn't solve the immediate problem of your holiday. And you're not being silly at all. You want everyone to enjoy the family visit and are worried that your pain will interfere with that. What's silly?

I can only say what I'd do. Either I'd let the rest of the family do some things alone ie you could say go somewhere with them but let them wander off for a walk/sightseeing while you sit somewhere & all join up later for a meal. Or, I once in similar circumstances hired a wheelchair from the Red Cross which meant we could all do everything together. Neither of these is ideal and I'm sure neither is what you really want. But you're being in constant pain won't help either you or the rest of them to enjoy the holiday.

Whatever you do or don't do I hope you all have a lovely visit.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    aww dont beat yourself up, we do all know what your going through, thhis is why i love being part of this forum, we do understand what everyone is going through
    i had my knee replaced 4 years ago and i have even more pain in that knee ever since.. i have felt stupid when ive gone to physio to help my knee i have felt like i shouldve pushed myself more, but you can only do what your body will let you do...
    these days i only attemp housework if I feel up to it, was nice when i had the dla middle rate care component as my daughter who is a single parent came over several times a week and cleaned my home for me, little angel, but she cant afford to do it now its been stopped,
    sounds like you get on well with your inlaws (i adored mine, i had what i called 2 mums and 2 dads) but mine have both gone to a greater place...
    anyway i imagine they will understand if you cant do a lot... a wheelchair for a few days i think sounds good but if ur anything like me u will feel silly... we use the mobility scooter when we go to florida and i feel silly but at least i can get aound and see what the others do, maybe a mobility scooter could help you rather then a wheelchair???
    dont be to proud let the family help you
    i take codeine 4 times daily and inbetween that i take tramadol, i take amitryptiline at night 150mgs which does a lot for me, but i get so stiff in the morning i have trouble moving, can you try amytriptiline?? just at night.. if you sleep better then your joints rest better...
    wish i could give you a hug and say your not being silly.... ((hugs)) cyber ones instead... take it a day a time, just cos ur op was 12 weeks ago doesnt mean YOU shouldnt have pain, i was told my knee SHOULD be healed by 12 weeks... but that just an average figure... yours could take 16 weeks or 30 or even 52....
    take care
    love
    Liesa xxxxxxx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • dippyhips
    dippyhips Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are in so much pain Karen ((((((hugs))))))

I can understand your frustration, the recovery period does test our patience eh.

Have you been back to your dr again and spoke about your back?

My first thoughts are that you could have a slight leg length difference which is putting strain on your back. If this is the case, worth getting it checked out whether it be this or something different and maybe in the meantime try some different pain killers.

I hope you can get it sorted, you know you can call me anytime.

love from Sue xx
  • constable
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I think I know that I have to go back to the doctors. And I am going to ask for some amytriptiline, but stonger this time.

Night time is the worst, I was up till 3.30 this morning. Can't just move to a new position have to get up and prepare myself for a new one.

I think at the moment I just feel awful, I am meant to be looking after hubby and the girls, and I am not able to do that. It really gets me down.

Thanks

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    amytriptiline should help with the night pain ((((hugs))))
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    you need sleep ,with out enough even mole hills become mountains . but you have been through a lot, have you read any of tonys posts and seen how he is expecting to much of him self. well to be honest you are doing the same kind of thing i know you need exercise but you also have to rest and be kind to your self more so when you not sleeping good luck hope things better soon val
    val
  • constable
    Options
    Liesa and Val

Thanks for your replies. I do appreciate them. Finally spoken to hubby and doctors here I come tomorrow. She is a lovely women and she cares,so she will, should sort me out.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi Karen..

Just wanted to send you big hugs (((((X))))0
    The forum is here for you to talk, we understand.. I understand your frustration of not being able to do thing we used too.. I look at my OH and kids and wonder if they look at me differently, wether my OH loves me the same , will he get bored, are my children ashamed of me?? These are all my insecurities so i have to put them to one side..I took a step back and looked at the bigger picture..I know that my OH and children will do anything for me so i don't suffer and they love me for the person i am, not for the person i am not..We all have them moments luvie where things just build up and it gets on top of us.. no shame in that..
    Amitriptyline may be worth mentioning to your GP, alot of people take that, myself included, it does help, and a good nights sleep does the world of good..
    Thinking of you.. Hope you feel a bit better soon..x
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Karen,

Sorry I am late here.

I think we know where your coming form flower and its hard sometimes to not allow the hatred for the bone shift to turn on your self if that makes sense?

Pain is hard to live with all the time and it gets you down, that also can be turned on your self as well.

Recovery takes longer than we think and I know its hard but you have to hang in there while the recovery happens.

Karen your going to be ok flower and the ampies should help with the nights so you get a bot of better quality sleep which helps as well.

Leaving you a ((((( ))))) and a hope you soon find it all a lot easier. Cris xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Karen

Just catching up cause I have been away.

I hope today you feel a little better and that you are able to get some better pain relief meds so that you can go on your holiday.
    I will have my fingers crossed for you. (well in a fashion :lol: )
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • constable
    Options
    Hi

I have made myself an appoinment for 4.50 today. My worry is I am very tearful at the moment, and want to go in on my own. Lets see what happens.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Karen
    I've only ALMOST broken down once in the GP's surgery and never with any of the consultants.....It wasnt deliberate but I think it did the world of good.....made her take notice...Try and hang on until you get in if possible.
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Karen
    Sorry I have only just seen your post, I agree with Toni, it is still early days,there is a lot of healing to be done, just one point I have a friend that had both her hips replaced, and with on she had a trap nerve this caused really bad sciatic pain like you described,having physio sorted it out for her.
    Has for the amitryptaline I do think you need stronger ones.,getting some sleep will help you alot.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • constable
    Options
    Hi there

Went to the doctors and she says it's sciatica, so back on tramadol and Ibupefen and diazipam, if that does'nt work to go back to her.

And I didn't cry as she had a student with her.

Karen xx
    Karen xx