Lupus Anticoagulant

Options
madwestie
madwestie Member Posts: 383
edited 26. Jul 2011, 05:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just been told i tested positive for Lupus Anticoagulant.
Has anyone else got this and if so what treatment might i expect.
It wasn't my normal Gp who rang with the results and he was saying it is nothing to worry about are you under the hematology dept (no) i also had to tell him that both my father and sister had blood clots (i had told my gp) and he said oh right well i think you will get a call from the hematology people if you don't hear in 2 weeks then ring us..
He was also talking about taking asprin well i have asthma and i told him this and he said well it might be ok with your asthmait is ok for some people. I don't like the idea of trying to find out i alreay have an anti inflam that is not suppose to help my asthma.

Tracey

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tracey

Good to see you but not so good to hear your news :sad:

Bet you are in shock :shock: I know l would be.

I dont know much, but l had a load of blood tests at one time and have two bits in my blood which cause it to clot too much and l think this is similar???

If so you might be given blood thinners like a baby aspirin....l was told l would need heparin if l have surgery again ever :shock: so l shan't!!

Love

Toni xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I am positive for this antibody. It can be part of SLE, however with your family history of clots, he is probably thinking along the lines of APS.

APS/hughes syndrome can cause clots, so it is often treated with a baby aspirin daily if you have not experienced a major clotting event or warfarin if you have. It is important to help keep the blood thin. There are alternatives, if you are unable to tolerate aspirin.

You need to speak to whoever ordered the tests, I assume it was your rheumy.

Here is a link to more info

http://www.hughes-syndrome.org/

Will PM it to you as well, in case it isnt allowed!! :grin:
  • madwestie
    Options
    Toni and Suzygirl,
    Thank you for your responses to be honest i didn't really think much of it when the doctor called just oh another thing wrong and more tablets i am not keen on the asprin as my asthma is only sort of stable and i don't like the chance of it making it worse.
    The test was actually ordered by my GP as i had been getting swelling in my feet and he did mention wafrin at the begining so i was sort of expecting it
    I think i will try and speak to my Gp tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Tracey
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Tracy
    All I know is that Lupus is a autoimmune disorder, my friend...well hairdresser has it...she was having trouble with painful joints...now it is under control...but she has regular check-ups..
    Im not sure if it is the same thing, but I do wish you well with it, and at least they have picked up on it, so your treatment can begin.
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I have absolutely no knowledge of this but just wanted to say I hope all goes well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Hope you managed to speak to your GP Tracey??

Love

toni xx
  • madwestie
    Options
    Toni,
    I made an appointment to speak to him but he is on holiday so it won't be until 10th August, although hopefully the rheumy nurse will ring me tomorrow.

Sticky thank you

Barbara I am not sure if it has anything to do with Lupus or if it just another thing to add to the list

Tracey
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Tracey, the problem is, this is a relatively new condition so many gps are not up to speed on it, especially if they are older. It was only discovered in 1992. I will send you a PM with more info, I don't wnat to break forum guidelines!!!!!

Best to be as well informed as poss before your appt, so you know what questions to ask.

Take care