DLA ~ Do I go on to the tribunal bit??

Options
psyart
psyart Member Posts: 600
edited 12. Aug 2011, 11:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Need some advice on DLA. Was turned down for the lower rate of mobility, so I appealed and had a masive envelope sent to me yesterday ~ with all the paperwork since I have been on DLA. It also states that its going to the tribunial :?: :?: But that is all it says ~ no date ~ on details on what happens ~ nothing about what I have to do :?:

any advice really appreciated ~ and what are the chances of turning over the decision :?:

lots of things have been going on over the last few months which is why I have been mainly quiet ~ when things get bad I build a wall and retreat into a corner ~ probably not good but thats the way I have always been :cry:

I did ring the help line and they were brilliant ~ but its all begining to pile up again ~ this issue with DLA I just dont know if I can face it :?:

so hope someone will have some answers on what the process is ~ thank you in advance :!:

cotton wool hugs floating up from Cornwall :!:

louise xx
e050.gifo050.gif

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi sorry that can not help you but do hope that some one comes along who can give you some help val
    val
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Louise

Forgive me Louise but what draws me to reply here is your comment re building the wall and retreating into the corner. I so understand that one lately. :???:
    As to DLA, I am not in any position to advise, I sent for the forms and freaked out on sight and just didn't bother.

I do hope others who have been there will see you tomorrow and advise. Sounds like the helpline has been a start but I do know the CAB are often the first port of call for people in your situation, if you can get through on the phone or get an appointment. Don't give up, I gather it can be an ordeal but tribunals do succeed so I send a little courage your way.
    Take care
    Chris
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I have recently been turned down for my DLA and I was advised that I could either go for tribunal or referral.

As long as you have started this within a month of receiving your letter you can ask for this to be referred - someone else will look at it. They will then make a decision and you can tell the person on the phone that there are things you dont agree with and why. They will note it all down and then you wait between 8 and 11 weeks for a response. If they still turn you down you can go for appeal. I have been told that CAB are brilliant at this and will help you no end. It will also help you to feel less alone. Give them a call and see what they can do to help.

You have to try for it. There must be a reason that you applied for it in the first place. If you have already been receiving it like I have, and then you get turned down it is frustrating. I for one was a blubbering wreck. After coming on here and having my backside kicked metaphorically I am feeling much more upbeat and to know I have people who support me here really helps. Dont shut yourself away.

If you want to PM me feel free.
    Jakib0644.gif
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Louise, sorry to hear that you have been in retreat, although I am sure many of us can fully understand how you feel.
    DLA, well, don't give up on it. The forms are long winded and repetitive, but give as much information as you can, how things affect you on a day to day basis, be it during the day, or night. Unless there are special circumstances, DLA is awarded on a needs basis. Explain how much help you need, for how long, how often and if this help is significant and frequent. Also any social aspects, that you would like to carry out, but are no longer able to, without help. Any mental health issues, including depression and anxiety. As much information as you can muster.

It sounds like they are going to wait for the forms to go back, with all the supporting evidence you can provide, GP, Consultant, Physio, Carer, or other health care professional. Keep copies of everything you send, including the form itself. I may be wrong, but I think the details will be looked at by a different decision maker.

I have been through a similar situation, fortunately it did not go to tribunal, but I was prepared to go, when they wrote and said the award had been granted.

Certainly the CAB can help, as can your local welfare officer, or carers link. Wishing you well and all the success with your case. Take lots of care, if I can help any more, let me know. XX Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Loise,

You know I do the wall in real life but somehow with this lot the wall isn't needed. It helps to have a word of supoort and comfort sometimes even if its cyber its still meant and heps so try not to cut off too much.

( Chris you as well flower cus you know a lot of us care about you as well)

I know CAB here is on a good 8 week waiting list at least but there is also DIAL in Hayle and they might well have less of a list and are very good at helping folk.

I think you should fight..... I know you might not feel like it but I do think if you can muster the strength you should. We are short changed health wise and finding wise enough without you letting your self be so in a different way.

I know it takes strength but flower if you haven't got it borrow the folks here's.

Hey is it my or your turns on the bellows? Some summer again eh>?!

Hang in there Maid and leaving you a ((((( ))))) and a cuppa. Cris xxx
  • psyart
    Options
    thank you for the replies ~ hugs to you all :smile:

as Cris states ~ CAB has a long waiting list ~ most of the offices are now shut and when i have tried to ring the help line all I get is advice to ring other help lines for everything else but DLA ~ so dont think will get much help there.

I have appealied ~ back in April ~ and that was turned down so thats why they are sending it to tribunial ~ but what do i do now :?: Do they contact me and let me know the process :?:

I agreed on the comments made about not shutting myself away ~ I think Im worried that if I knock one brick down the whole lot with tumble down with a crash :!: :cry:

Cris ~ did you stop on the bellows ~ we now have clouds :wink:

sorry if not making sense ~ am very tired tonight so am finding it hard to think :!:

thank you again ~ cotton wool hugs

louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Louise,

The CAB are only left in T now I think.... I was being kind saying 8 weeks.....

they did used to have a walk in on ( I think0 Thursdays down by lemon qu..... don't know if they still do.

try DIAL down Hayle cus at east they know its important in terms of time.... mind they are snowed under as well.

Every think we should move up country :lol: Side glance at Trel.... again :roll: :lol:

I hope someone will be able to help you... I don't know how it all works, I will in a year :wink:

Anky's link might well be a good idea cus of the wiring lists and for the appeal could you get some help from a welfare officer like Joanne had? Might be worth asking her who it was she had helping her maybe?

Hey been bellowing fairly well but seem to get tired after dinner :lol: Tis sunny without a cloud in the sky down west your know :wink:

hang in there Maid and don't leave it so long to come here cus walls are a kind of self destructive thing....... took me a long time to learn that one. Love, a cuppa, a promise to below harder and a ((((( ))))) Cris xxx
  • psyart
    Options
    UPDATE ~ have had a letter from Tribunal lot ~ if I want to go for the tribunial then the earliest a meeting can be arranged is December 2011 :!: :!: :!: :cry:

Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Have you already had it reassessed by someone else? You are entitled to get them to look at it again even if you have said that you want it to go to tribunal then ring them and mention it again
    Jakib0644.gif
  • psyart
    Options
    Thank you ~ will look into it. I have had it turned down once and they said it had to go to tribunial ~ but am going to get a letter from my doctor and OT ~ hopeing this will help :?:

louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    I asked for a formal reconsideration of my case, which they did. At the end of my letter, I said that I was more than happy to go to tribunal, but they reconsidered all the information and granted the decision. Keep everything, in one place, most important, copies of this, that and the other. XXX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • joanneredshaw
    joanneredshaw Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi

I am on my second claim, first one in Oct 2010 and second attempt March 2011. Both times I have been turned down for the lowest level of DLA. I have now disagreed with their decision which I received in June and I received my Doctors and Consultants reports to look over and make comments from. Did you get those back?
    I could see from these reports that my Doctor did not fill in my report, it was another doctor from the practice. Whom I do know very well, but he had not treated me since before my claims. Also the consultant was not mine, and she had not included all the info about myself. So I have used this as ammunition against them. I have since seen the Doctor who did fill the report in and explained what has happened, he did not know how my ADL (Assisted Daily Living) had changed. That I needed my meals cooking for me as my RA was really bad in my hands and wrists.
    This was the only part that DLA would recognise and he has put this right in a letter for me and sent it off. He called the DLA ****! and that so many people were being turned down.
    I enclosed copies of my wrist splints that had been provided by OH and how often to use them. I have day and night ones also letters from physio etc. Anything that supports your claim.
    I AM STILL WAITING FOR A DECISION, IT HAS BEEN NEARLY 8 WKS SINCE I CALLED AND SAID I DISAGREED WITH THEIR DECISION.

I used quotes from both my claims, where they had ignored that I said I couldn't prepare and cook a hot meal for myself..

You must provide as much information as possible. Thankfully I have my Doctor's surgery on board.

Good luck with your claim, don't back down...
    Let me know how you get on

Jo x
  • joanneredshaw
    joanneredshaw Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi Louise

I would just like to tell you that I have been awarded DLA as from 9th August 2011. The last time I replied to your post I was still waiting for a decision. I have to say it was because I had the full back up from my Doctor and the letter that he wrote in my defense.

I get the first level of care which is £19.55 a week, I am just greatful that my difficulties have been recognised. This is because I cannot cook a hot meal for myself because of my hands being so painful and swollen.

Don't give up Louise, get all the support you can especially from your GP.

Good luck with your claim..

Jo x :grin:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Congratulations Jo.

well done for being persistant.

Love

toni xx