First Class rail travel what a joke.

Options
Turbogran
Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
edited 29. Jul 2011, 14:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday Husband tried booking first class seats on a train and was told he could book in first class but could not book seats. When he asked why he was told sorry it's company policy, so he asked why do people book first class then and the reply was you get more leg room :lol::lol:
but you can stand in first class so he asked what if a person is disabled and can't stand he said sorry it's company policy. so OH then asked if there was a carriage with a disabled area and was told yes but you may not be able to sit together. When my OH said this was disgusting he was told (Yes youv'e got it) sorry it's company possible.
Stay positive always👍xx

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thats shocking..
    Surely they must cater for disabled people..
    I would question what this person said.. maybe he was just fobbing your OH off for an easier life..
    I can't get my head round that.. how awful..
    You would presume that booking first class would get you the seat.. some policy that is..
    So i take it you were unable to book any seats?? what aree you to do now?
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • sbolam
    sbolam Member Posts: 374
    Options
    thats just shocking :eek: , I booked first class tickets online and my seats were reserved..some bloke was sitting in my seat and i hoofed him out of it :grin: so not sure where this idiot is coming from..i would question what he is saying....

stephen
    04_pain.jpg
  • Turbogran
    Options
    Hi Tracey Stephen and Del
    Del it's the one that dose trains to Southampton. not sure who they are.
    Stephen yes I intend to check it out as far as i'm concerned you book first class to ensure a seat and to travel in comfort not to stand.
    Tracey we have sorted out another way of travel we are now going by national express coach. I rang their disabled traveller line and they told me to book the tickets for the coach then ring them with the ticket nuber and they would arrange a reserved front seat for us as a disabled customer. and we will be able to sit together unless another disabled person dosen't need it if they do my OH will have to move elseware, and best of all its only £18 each return by coach because we are both over 60, so we have the last laugh really. cos it was a lot more by train. :lol::lol::lol:
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I'm going to ask a really stupid question. Is there an easy way onto the coach for disabled/ wheechair users? I only ask because I have had to be heaved onto a coach like a prized cow. The height from kerb to step was too extreme-I was okay from the pavement but they had parked away from the edge. I also find hauling up those steep steps and also hanging onto the thick, slippery hand rail traumatic! And that is on a good day.
    I'm sure you have thought about this....but just incase.
    Hope all goes well....
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Turbogran
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth
    I'm reasonably ok on steps the only one that might be a problem is the bottom step but I should be ok if when getting on my OH is behind me and when coming off he is in front of me they have their uses. :lol::lol: Also i'm quite adept at getting of backwards as I do it on buses all the time. :roll: cos its the best way to get my rollator off and I do that every day. Thanks for your thought tho.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Here in Spain RENFE has a Tarjeta Dorada for older folk Gives you 40% off fares Guarantees a seat in firt class and gives you 3 days free parking Get the railways nationalised again :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Carol,
    I have travelled via southampton several times with pre booked first class tickets with reserved seats i would complain to the train company as i don't think the info you got was correct.
    Hope you have a good coach journey

Tracey
  • Turbogran
    Options
    Hi all thank you for all your replies.
    thought I would update you. I rang southern rail and apparently they stopped booking seats just over a year ago even in first class. what they have in place now is a priority seat card you can apply for if you are over 60 or disabled in some way, each carriage has I think 8 marked priority seats and if someone is sitting in those seats who dose not qualify for a card you can show them you card and ask them to move. I :lol: laughed at this because we all know that people are not going to give the seats up if they dont want to. :roll:
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Carol, you can always ask the train manager(ticket collector) to get someone to move for you if you can show him your card..

Tracey
  • Turbogran
    Options
    That's what the women said but I she was also going to speak to the station my OH went to because she was not happy with the fact that the booking clerk did not advise OH that the card existed .
    Stay positive always👍xx