Having a bad day

Options
keldi
keldi Member Posts: 53
edited 27. Jul 2011, 07:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am having a really bad day today. Both of my knees are really painful. It is hysterical watching me trying to climb the stairs. I gave up twice before I discovered that going up on my bottom was the best option. Now how do I get back down ????? :

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi keldi. Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you've had such a bad day. Watching you on the stairs might be hysterical for others but I guess it's not much fun for you.

How to get down? Either the same way you went up or, standing and backwards, bad leg down first then good one.

I hope tomorrow's better for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tallrose
    tallrose Member Posts: 9
    Options
    My dear mum showed me today that going down backwards was a real help with her painful knees. She has a grab rial on both sides and my dad stays close. That might help :roll:
  • Dannyboy
    Dannyboy Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi keldi .

Welcome to the forum.

Hope you're feeling more comfortable this evening.

Dan
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I think even with the pain the funniest thing would be to slide down on your bottom pretending that you are a kid again.

Welcome to the forum
    Jakib0644.gif
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    my two used to go down a set of ours on a small mattrus now that would be a site but how do you get back up off floor when you get to bottom.
    this a hard question as with both knees playing up it hard but would agree with others backwards with bad knee first good luck let us know how you do val
    val
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Hope you feel better tomorrow, how about sliding down the banister? X
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • keldi
    keldi Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Going up and down stairs backwards really helps. It still looks rather comical but even on a bad day you have to try to smile. I am relatively new to the challenges that osteoarthritis will throw at me and the condition has progressed quite quickly. Look out for my posts every time I meet a new challenge, your advice will be very welcome.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have had trouble with stairs for years, both knees and ankles are shot to bits with PA and now OA. I have been doing them like a two year old (step up with stronger leg, weaker leg joins it etc, reversed when going down) for longer than I care to think, and often have to use crutches too. Unfortunately our stairs are not suitable for a stair-lift - are yours? I hope you are feeling a little brighter today and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Keldi

welcome to the forum

I hope you are feeling much better today and the knees are behaving

Take care
    juliepf x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Keldi
    Welcome to the forum.
    I had a smashed ankle at one stage and was sent home with zimmer :x and underarm crutch and was told I was not to weight bear for 2 or 3 weeks at least.
    How to do the stairs? Before i left the hospital they said I must be able to do them :lol: Hold bannister, underarm crutch and hop up the stairs.....With arthritis in my hips and lower spine!!!!!!! :x How stupid can you get but they said i couldnt leave until I could do the stairs to the physios satisfaction...I was determined to do it then thought i would do it my own way when I got home....so I satisfied them but when I got home....I went up on my bum, kept going until I got into the bedroom, then one hand on the bed and the other one on the bedside table and hubby was about....pushed myselfup.
    Coming down was easier.....sat...stuck the leg that was in plaster out in front of me and just bumped down each step.....then just before the bottom, grabbed the bannister and put good leg out and on the ground and got up that way :lol::lol::lol: It must have been a sight :lol:
    Reember not only was my ankle smashed but had OA in hips and spine.
    Good luck
    Lover
    Hileena