keyhole surgery on knees

Options
tallrose
tallrose Member Posts: 9
edited 27. Jul 2011, 12:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
my dear mum is 81 and just had this surgery on left knee about 7 weeks ago and it seems to have made things worse. Then her right knee became very painful and this weekend she was in soooo much pain she cried. She woke my dad in the night and he put cold compresses on her right knee which helped a bit. Will it always be like this? She is seeign the consultant again soon. But if keyhole does this to you what will a replacement do at her age if he sugegsts it?
medications doe snot seem thelp much and the pain seems to come and go afetr taking exercise or by just sleeping!
It is horrioble seeing someone who was so active now virtually chair bound.
Has anyone experience of this surgery or knee replacement surgery? :?: Is there no spell check on this forum??

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello tallrose. Welcome to the forum but I'm sorry your Mum's having such a bad time after her op.

I've no experience of keyhole surgery but I have had 3 knee replacements (two 30 years ago and one of them replaced two years ago) and it was plain sailing for me every time though some people do have initial problems. As we're not doctors here we can't say what's best for your Mum so I think she should see her GP & get a professional opinion. What I can tell you is that sometimes with pain in one knee we can try to save it a bit and so put pressure on the opposite knee. Also a bad position in bed might account for the pain. But best see the doc.

Unless the surgical team see a reason for her not having a replacement I don't see why her current problems would suggest she shouldn't. A replacement might solve her problems. I hope you'll both feel easier soon.

And, no, there's no spell checker.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tallrose
    Options
    :smile: Thank you for such a speedy reply. This is the first time I have used a forum to chat. Mum is seeing the consultant again soon so will be asking more questions. Pain relief seems so hit and miss - I thought nowadays no one had to live with such pain?? So they say anyway.

I will tell her about your surgery though, it may be that the pain has been so bad that she will think about it if it is offered.
    Rose
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    pain meds same as most it trial and error if what she got not helping go back to doc for something stronger val
    val
  • tallrose
    Options
    Thank you yes I will suggest she does that.
    Rose
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Rose

My mum will be 88 years old this year and she has had TKRs on both knees at different times. I am afraid that for her there were complications each time post op but she got there in the end. Everyone is different. I have had two TKRs one in 2008 and one in 2010. All went well for me and I have absolutely no regrets. Life is much easier now. I shall be 61 years old at the end of this year.

Knee pain can be very debilitating as my mum and I know so I can truly sympathise with your mum. I agree medication did not help too much as the knee(s) worsened.

My case was similar to your mums that I went to the consultant complaining about my right knee and in the end the left knee started creating havoc and so I had the left knee operated on first. I agree it is probably the other knee having to work harder when one knee is not doing well.

I do wish your mum well, whatever she decides.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi tallrose, it's nice to meet you. I am sorry to hear that your mum is having so much trouble. I have had lousy knees for years now, I sleep with a pillow under them (or between them if sleeping on my side) and that helps (neither knee lies flat, hasn't for years). I had keyhole surgery on my right knee and stayed in bed for about three weeks to a month after to give everything a real chance to heal and settle. The appeal of keyhole it it is less invasive but it is still a disturbance to tissues etc.

As for pain relief, well, I don't call 'em pain killers they are pain dullers, because that is all they do. The take off the edge. I have been in constant pain for 15 years and you do get used to it but it must be very tough for your mum if she is used to being active. I was last active in about 1997 and yes, I miss it. I think she needs to see her GP sooner rather than later, perhaps you could contact her orth surgeon and see if he has any advice. She needs to be resting as much as possible and getting ahead of the pain by keeping up a steady (but reasonable) intake of the dullers. I wish her, and you, well. DD

(PS, don't worry about spelling, we will always understand what you mean)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi tallrose
    welcome to the forum
    I too am sorry to hear that your poor mum is having such a tough time at the moment. Especially as she was hoping and quite rightly so that the keyhole was going to help with her pain.
    I hope she can get some good advice from her doctor.
    I have no experience from knee ops myself so all I can do is send my good wishes to her.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • tallrose
    Options
    Hello to you all, what lovely helpful replies and so supportive. I will pass this on to my mum and thank you all.
    Yes the pillow in the bed helps. My daughter got one of those body length pillows to cuddle upto when away from home and now donated to her gran.
    I was thinking of contacting the GP or surgeon as I know she will make light of it when she is there especially if it is a good day.
    I'm really glad I joined the forum :P
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    tallrose wrote:
    I was thinking of contacting the GP or surgeon as I know she will make light of it when she is there especially if it is a good day.
    I'm really glad I joined the forum :P

Oh tallrose, we arthritics are apt to lie like troopers about our condition but it's not usually a good idea to apply that to the doc. However, I do find it hard to say I'm usually worse if it's a good day.

If your Mum's inclined to gloss over the facts it would be good if you or someone else could go with her to inject a little realism.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ImmaW
    ImmaW Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree about someone going with your mom to the doctor. It's important to tell her doctor everything. Does she have private personal health insurance or Medicare? As far as the other knee hurting, she could be compensating for the one knee and using the other knee more or differently but her doctor should know more. I was thinking it's kind of like when one sprains their ankle and changes the way they walk, they get pains in other parts of their legs because of the change in stride.
    Imma - making the most of my day