Synovitis in wrist

Options
kellis
kellis Bots Posts: 69
edited 27. Jul 2011, 14:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have RA, not too bad generally, my rheumy thinks I'm in remission due to a positive response from Humira.

Anyway, I have a lumpy swollen wrist on the outside edge - little finger side. It is swollen round the little nobbly bone (which you can no longer see!) and is very jelly-ish and misshapen. It ranges from no pain to a bit achey at different times and is more unsightly than bothersome.
My rheumy said it is synovitis and that the swelling risks damaging the tendon to my little finger and has recommended I have surgery to have the 'spongy bits' removed, before I lose the use of one or more fingers.
Being a bit of a chicken, I'm going along with the 'if it ain't broke' theory, but then rejoining damaged tendons would be a more serious operation than what is currently being proposed!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Kellis, my only thoughts are that I’m glad it’s you not me having to make the decision. When my wrists were really bad there were no disease modifying drugs and not a lot of surgery about so I was just given wrist splints to support them and help them remain in a ‘useful’ position. Fortunately they did and, although I’ve no movement in them, my hands are still very useful. Would I do the same now, given the option? Probably not. Surgery’s been good to me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright