Newbie/Drug advice

Options
acrafty1
acrafty1 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Jul 2011, 03:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I have been living with the pain of arthritis for years, but have recently been officially diagnosed with it in my knees. I am in constant pain and have tried lots of pain killers. I am now on a low dose of Morphine (10mg - slow release x 2 daily), but as yet it has not made one bit of difference!

I am on lots of other meds, which means I am not able to have the anti-inflamm. tabs for very long as it could lead to internal bleeding.

I am not able to sleep at night due to the pain and I am sick and tired of being sick and tired...so my questions are...

1. how long does it take for the Morphine to kick in and work?
2. what are the alternatives - higher dose of Morphine or other pain killers or other therapy?
3. what else can I do to reduce the pain?
4. My consultant says due to my age (37) and weight (I have an eating disorder and am classed as clinically obese - and yes I know loosing weight will help) he will not do any surgery and discharged me back to my GP - Does this mean surgery is out of the question or could something still be done?

I appreciate any comments/advice and look forward to getting to know you more as time goes on.

Claire

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Claire,
    Welcome to the forum....I'm sorry you are in such pain. I take it from your post that it is OA?
    Everyone else will tell you that we are all different....different painkillers work differently on each of us.
    You mentioned not being able to take anti inflam for long....Are you on some sort of stomach liner? Omneprazole {sp? its early :lol: } there's another one...L something that others take.
    I'm on the same dose of morphine as you....2 10mg x2 a day..Ooopss i've just re read your post.....mine is 40 slow release over the day. You are on 20 a day??? Mine isnt actually for my arthritis...its for a fractured pelvis that they are investigating at the moment. I do have OA in hips, lower spine ankle and neck as well.
    I was originally on 60mg a day but was like a zombie and now they've decreased it....i've still got pain but I can cope with it reasonably well and I'm not as zombie like as I was on the higher dose.
    I got to sleep at night OK {with arthritis} but kept waking up during the night with pain...eventually they found that naproxam...slow release 2 a day helped with that.
    Then there is the usual ...stomach liner, paracetamol, iron :cry: amd tablets for epilepsy.
    There will be others along soon to add their suggestions.
    Love
    Hileena
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi you say loosing weight will help but as we know it not that easy is it as exercise so difficult when movement is affected. if you can manage a 1lb a week it will add up do not expect quick results. can they give you something to help you sleep if you can get enough sleep it does help cope with the pain during the day val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Oh Claire

poor you :sad:

Firstly may l welcome you to the forums.

Suggets you try the following if you haven't already.

Anti inflam gel rubbed in....does not affect belly.

wheat bags (warm) to soothe

tens machine???

I also have pain patches as do some others here instead of taking pain killers. Have cox2 typed anti-inflams whish are easier on the belly too.

what about something to relax muscles and help you sleep? some of us take amitriptyline.

would your GP send you to a pain clinic? they can try stuff such as acupuncture and steroid jabs into joints etc etc.

Love

Toni xx