Anyone had hip revision after hip resurface failure

Options
daylily
daylily Member Posts: 619
edited 30. Jul 2011, 14:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Nearly time for my revision operation, only about 5 weeks, just got the ultrasound to go for now.
What I was wondering is :-
Is a hip revision operation any worse than the original operation re the recovery timescale/ pain etc. :?:
It says in the booklet the hospital gave me 4 days in hospital after- that seems pretty quick to me
Any help appreciated
thanks

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi daylilly
    Sorry I cant help , but I just want to wish you well with it all, I hope someone's comes along very soon that can give some advice.
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Daylily,

I haven't had a revision - but when researching THR v resurfacing - one of the benefits advocated was that having a THR after a resurface is as straightforward as a first time THR. (Whereas a revision of a THR is more complex and often less successful than the first op.)

How long you stay in hospital for, depends on whether you have someone at home to care/help you after the op. I had to stay in longer as I had no one who could.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.