Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Anyone had hip revision after hip resurface failure

daylilydaylily Posts: 641
edited 30. Jul 2011, 14:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Nearly time for my revision operation, only about 5 weeks, just got the ultrasound to go for now.
What I was wondering is :-
Is a hip revision operation any worse than the original operation re the recovery timescale/ pain etc. :?:
It says in the booklet the hospital gave me 4 days in hospital after- that seems pretty quick to me
Any help appreciated
thanks

Comments

• barbara12barbara12 Posts: 20,901 ✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi daylilly
    Sorry I cant help , but I just want to wish you well with it all, I hope someone's comes along very soon that can give some advice.
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalongspeedalong Posts: 3,347
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Daylily,

I haven't had a revision - but when researching THR v resurfacing - one of the benefits advocated was that having a THR after a resurface is as straightforward as a first time THR. (Whereas a revision of a THR is more complex and often less successful than the first op.)

How long you stay in hospital for, depends on whether you have someone at home to care/help you after the op. I had to stay in longer as I had no one who could.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.