Hi y'all

Daveboy
Daveboy Member Posts: 26
edited 5. Aug 2011, 14:56 in Say Hello Archive
Hi Im Dave, Im 62 and generally in good health except that some of my joints dont know that. In the past six years I have had four major operations, 2 hip, 1 knee and 1 shoulder op.

Me and arthritis are old friends (and I use that term loosely!) we've been together getting on for 10 years now when I was first diagnosed with it.

My first op was on my left hip in 2005 followed by a revision two years later. In 2009 I had an op on my right knee and an op on my right shoulder this year, with a pattern like that emerging it looks like Im in line for another op in 2013.

Im almost 1/3 metal! 6m dollar man is one name Ive had to put up with just lately. :grin:

I take pain killers daily and try to exercise as much as my back and shoulders let me 'cos they're the two main perpetrators of my pain right now.

Hopefully I can pick others brains on how to co-exist with arthritis comfortably.

Dave.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, it's nice to meet you. I take it you have OA? I have that, plus PA (psoriatic arthritis), the meds I take for that do nothing for the OA, I am waiting to hear from orthopaedics about an appointment for a possible double knee replacement - that won't help the PA affected joints tho!

I don't live comfortably with my arthritis, it is literally a pain in the backside as my sacro-iliac joints are affected. :smile: It has altered my life beyond recognition and I loath and resent it. I know, however, that there is no choice but to live with it and that is why I find the forum such a huge comfort. Everyone on here knows what it is like, they understand and offer unreserved support. Being on here has made my arthritis-affected life much, much better which is something the drugs and the ops have singularly failed to do for the past ten years. Hurray for AC!

I hope to see your name here and there on the forum - new voices and experiences are always welcome so feel free to join in with any conversation that takes your fancy! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Hi Dave, Welcome and hope you enjoy the forum lots of support and laughs to be had on here. I am 43 and have AS and it seems to control everything I do but working on blasting it the best way I can. xx

DD LOVE WHAT YOU SAID HERE: I don't live comfortably with my arthritis, it is literally a pain in the backside as my sacro-iliac joints are affected. It has altered my life beyond recognition and I loath and resent it. I know, however, that there is no choice but to live with it and that is why I find the forum such a huge comfort. Everyone on here knows what it is like, they understand and offer unreserved support. Being on here has made my arthritis-affected life much, much better which is something the drugs and the ops have singularly failed to do for the past ten years. Hurray for AC!
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • Fletchar
    Fletchar Member Posts: 5
    edited 5. Aug 2011, 23:59
    Hi Dave,
    Welcome to the forum. I am also new in this forum. I have found many informative threats here and I will try my best to be active here to gain much from here. Hope to see you active around in the forum.
    san antonio gym
    Fletchar
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum :grin:

I have gained so much from joining. Theres loads of advice and support here and nobody minds if you are just in the mood for a good moaning session. I am 38 and have had OA since my early teens. Arthritis has been a part of my life so long I cant remember not having it. I take painkillers but I think the thing that gets me through each day is determination. I am about to start a series of operations beginning with a bi-lateral THR which will hopefully give me a new lease on life as my hips dont move at all which makes every day things quite difficult to achieve. I try to stay positive and look on the bright side of life but I do get a bit down every now and then. When I feel down I come on this forum and everyone cheers me up :lol: I hope to see you around here and look forward to sharing advice/support etc. Sending hugs your way to welcome you :P
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • Daveboy
    Thanks for the welcome.

Today I am having a mainly good day so Im being very quiet in case I wake up Arthur. If he wants to sleep in its ok with me :grin:

DD, we all feel for you because we all feel like you. In pain! Sometimes I get up deep in the night hurting so much from my shoulders to my wrists, I take some painkillers and put on some soft music and let my thoughts go off to somewhere nice until the tablets kick in, it works for me.

Keeping busy as best I can helps. I no longer work because there isnt really much I can do for very long, and that includes typing here, without the pain starting. Reading, going for a walk even tho' I need a stick, being around people, and definitely not complaining too much about it as that can make it hurt even more.

I refuse to let it rule my life although I realise there are things I cant do any more so I adapt.

Ok folks Arthur's stirring it must be time for my medication :???:
  • dreamdaisy
    You're spot on with the tactics there, Daveboy. Distraction can work wonders, be it reading, music, watching telly, doing puzzles, anything to divert one's attention from it all. I am very lucky in that my neck, shoulders and arms don't hurt that often, and that when they do they ain't too bad. People who do not have continual pain really don't grasp its impact on one, do they? For them, toothache is something that the dentist cures, a headache will go after some meds and rehydration, broken limbs heal and feel fine. It's so different for us. It's good to hear you are having a reasonable day today, I am pleased about that. DD
  • Ankyspond
    Davenport and DD,

Ever tried TENS machine, I turned it on that high it distracted me for weeks. Xx
    AS Sufferer
  • dreamdaisy
    TENS? Useless. Never did a thing, give me chemicals every time! DD
  • Daveboy
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    TENS? Useless. Never did a thing, give me chemicals every time! DD

Agreed, Ive got one sitting in draw doing nothing, waste of time IMO.

Exercise and chemicals everytime.

Having a bad evening tho' so far!!! Arms aching shoulders pianful!
  • Ankyspond
    Davenport and DD I agree with you TENS are rubbish but did have a laugh trying it on my husband and seeing his face. X

I need as much drugs as can get having very, very bad time at minute so drugs and wine bring it on. Xx
    AS Sufferer