Support at Uni

Options
NewToThis
NewToThis Member Posts: 25
edited 25. Oct 2013, 05:25 in Young people's community
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm applying for a place on a part time pgce (teaching) course & am also awaiting to be 'officially' diagnosed with RA. If/when I am diagnosed and if I get a place on my course, I have been told that I should apply for the disabled students allowance & will be assessed etc at the uni.

But, just wondered if anyone is currently doing a course and how they find it? Walking etc not a problem for me but the writing might be! as hands/elbows etc seem to be the main issue at the moment.

Just wondered what you have found that has helped you that I would need to mention at the assessment?

Thanks for reading :P

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, it's nice to meet you. Someone on the forum has recently undergone this process and she has been given a computer and speech recognition software etc. I think she put a thread on ChitChat about it - she has, it's called New Toy and I have bumped it up for you to read. It should be on the first page of that forum, I hope you find it, I hope it's interesting and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • NewToThis
    Options
    That's great, many thanks DD I'll take a look!
  • clairy
    clairy Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi,

I'm just about to begin my degree and have just been through the assessment process for disabled students allowence. I found the advisor really good and could think of more things than me.

If writing is the problem then they may suggest things like a digital recorder to record lectures and a laptop with dragon software that allows you to dictate your notes/essays etc and the dragon software types it up for you.

Your uni may have some of this equipment for you to try before you decide what would be best for you.

Good luck with you course :)
  • Steph88
    Steph88 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi,

I've just finished my full time PGCE course. During the course I was starting new medication so I was pretty nervous about it.

I never bothered applying for DSA for various reasons but you can get laptops from them to help you with your work.
    I had to go to a number of occupational health appointments where they would check in how I was doing and reassess if I needed help with essay deadlines and writing, walking etc.

My university tutors and school mentors were fantastic. They consider your health with travelling and certain schools, eg. whether you have to walk up lots of stairs and if you do they will either change or arrange a lift key.

What subject are you doing? I did English Secondary so had a fair bit of marking to do. To get around this you can create a system where they mark their own. Or you can set up a 10x10 grid with good comments and targets, give it out to each student and then write something like 3f which could refer to a good point (3=good use of range of vocab) and target (f=check spellings.) Something like that. Other subjects have been known to use it and it can reduce how much you need to write for each student. It means the students become independent workers too on some level.

Be careful of getting ill. I was fortunate/unfortuante enough to get ill during holidays. I meant I didn't miss any time off school but I struggled during holidays. Just make sure you are getting enough sleep, have a strong support group of friends and family and eat a balanced diet. The different of course was mine was full time so yours may be different but I became exhausted.

Make an effort to try and organise appointments around school. You are entitled to time off but when you ask for it it's better when you've not had loads off. They can't discriminate against you in any way shape or form but I was aware of the fact you had to fulfil a certain number of days. Your course may be different.
    My tutors were really supportive and always said my health came first. I had an unsupportive school mentor in my first placement. Just remember you do not have to stand for that. Talk to your uni tutors if you face ANY problems at school.

I've made it sound a bit negative lol but I promise you it isn't. It was very hard work but a fantastic year and I'm so glad that I did it. You will love it. Good luck with it. Any questions or any other tips just ask!!

Sorry for the essay!!!

Steph
  • NewToThis
    Options
    That's fab advice thank you!

I am hoping to do Primary so I couldn't use the grid system for marking for the younger ones but wouldn't be so strenuous at this age! Really good advice about requesting placements close by - didn't even think about that!

& it's lovely to hear of somebody thats gotten through it and enjoyed. Am just thinking about diet & exercise at the moment so it's something I need to get on top of, especially hearing your experience.

Good luck with the teaching:-)
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello,

I'm starting a social work degree next month. I applied for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) and have had a really positive experience so far. I've been given some really advanced equipment (laptop, dictaphone, speech2text software etc) as well as an ergonomic chair. I've had some sessions with an IT trainer who has shown me lots of ways to work effectively without typing loads.

I can answer any more questions if you'd like.

Sophie x
  • Afc
    Afc Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread..
    I wasn't sure whether I should approach disability services at my uni or not, I didn't know whether arthritis was a serious enough disability or whether they'd take me seriously or not.
    I did arrange an appointment with someone from disability services but I still wasn't sure if I had a legit reason (despite being in pain and not being able to write most of the time). The woman was really nice though and gave me the option of doing my exams on a computer which will really help me.
    You've all reassured me, I really had no idea how common this was, I feel more confident and more sure of myself now. Thanks for sharing your stories. x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Afc, I am so glad you found a helpful thread. I for one would consider arthritis a serious disability simply because it is seriously disabling and those in the know would accept that too. I am glad that you approached the service in your university and it may be worth letting your lecturers know about it too (if they don't already) as they may be willing to negotiate on deadlines etc should you have a flare. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Afc
    Afc Member Posts: 15
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello Afc, I am so glad you found a helpful thread. I for one would consider arthritis a serious disability simply because it is seriously disabling and those in the know would accept that too. I am glad that you approached the service in your university and it may be worth letting your lecturers know about it too (if they don't already) as they may be willing to negotiate on deadlines etc should you have a flare. I wish you well. DD

Thanks for the advice - I've emailed my personal tutor (he happens to give the lectures about bones and arthritis, what a coincidence) so at least he knows now incase anything happens next year. When I've finally gotten a proper diagnosis I'm to make another appointment to see someone about future plans etc. Hopefully it will be a positive outcome. :) Thanks again.
  • Kayl
    Kayl Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi =)
    i've just recently left Uni because the typing etc was just too much for my wrists as there getting worse. i was just coming to the end of my second year and was really gutted i had to leave.

i read about all of the support that there was on offer but chose to ignore it. i think i was being stubborn about it all. i would recommend that you take all the help that you can get because the work loads are quite heavy and hard and you don't want to stress yourself out about it all. I wish i had of!

hope i have helped =) xx
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile...♥
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    you can get DSA quite easily at uni for having any disability or dyslexia. you get a free laptop, and i got a speach recognition software, dictaphone and mircrophone and headphones. apparently its really hard to get travel expesnses even though i cant walk much. so thats about it. Theres DLA but you need doctors notes and to be really walk limited for that.

to be honest my uni have been realllly unsupportive, so i wouldnt expect too much. depends what your wanting though.