Degenerating Sternum.

Options
Cazz
Cazz Member Posts: 40
edited 22. Aug 2011, 05:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I was here awhile back telling you about my painful sternum which has been diagnosed as a Degenertation Sternum or in thier words

Osteophytic growth at the menubrium/sternal joint, anteriorally.
Not sure what all that means to be honest but, this all happened in March, and until this last week has not been too much trouble.
This last week I havnt been able to function without pain, so have been taking Ibuprofen and Solphodol which I take for the arthritis in my ankle.
The worse time is in bed at night, any movement hurts and I have to clutch my chest when turning.

Sorry, to hvae gone on a bit, but would love to hear from fellow sufferers, and any tips/advice would be very welcome.

Thank you for reading this.
Cazz.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Cazz

ouch :???:

That sounds painful.

I have sternum ache too and have had it on and off for a fair few years. Sounds like OA of the sternum then. Someone else mentioned choschondritis (sp) which is similar if not the same.

Lots of us on here do have this sort of pain though yours sounds to be at the more severe end.

Have they said whether there are surgical optipns available at all? I know one lass was offered a steroid jab in hers and wondered if they can do arthroscopies like they do with knees shoulders etc when they have osteophytes on them?

I would be going back to the Gp as you are struggling a lot and ask for some help.

Love

Toni xx
  • Cazz
    Options
    Thank you for the quick response! x

My doctor did say that there was surgery they could perform, but do we want to go down that road of having my chest cracked open yet! the anser is no! lol

The surgeons letter said to go to my doctor if the pain persists for more than 2 weeks, I am hoping not as we go on holiday in 2 weeks time, and tbh, what can he do!? I cannot take diclodhenic as they make me ill. it is just nice to be able to talk to people who know exactly what I am talking about!

Thank you.

Cazz x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Caz,

Its o painful isn't it? Mine they tell me is being effected by the arthritis as are the ribs.... the pa to the front the oa to the rear but I wonder if its the same thing as it has pea size bone bits growing on the sternum now....

I have a fair bit of pain control but the ribs and sternum are difficult cus you can't ever keep them still cus of the breathing thing.... The pain clinic I se has talked about helping if it doesn't ease up with a string of 8 or so injections either side to try to knock it back a bit so its possible that a pain clinic could help you?

For me sleeping i the worse bit as it means your ribs have been in contact with something for a while.... oh flower its not a good place to get it is it.

I think maybe for the min you might need stronger meds.... Its a shame about the diclo's cus you also need a decent anti inflammatory.

Have you had a consultants opinion there at all? I am kinda nominating you for the op cus they have sad to me about one and well...... :wink:

Caz you need better pain control flower... I don't know if its the gp managing it but who ever is needs to know this isn't working and you need something stronger at least for now.

The pain doc said its hard to remember but it does come and go like all the arthritis's it has the active bit and at some point it calms down a bit and hopefully yours will soon.

Its might not be the same thing as they never named mine just said about the sternum being effected by the arthritis....

Hang in there flower and try not to over d things. Cris x
  • Cazz
    Options
    Hiya! :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply!

yes, I think it is something that comes and goes, and I have been a bit silly!

I am always trying to lose a few lbs and the Iburophen add a couple so I rely on just the Solphodol!
    I am going to start the Iburophen on a regular basis until it calms down again, bugger the extra pounds hey! :wink:
    i have the Pharmacy Iburophen strength ones, not sure if they are as good as Diclophenic or not!!

Cazz x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Cazz,

Hey I am going to push for the jabs... I see the pain doc soon for some triggers, botox and another nerve block so as she has said about them....

She also said they are very intrusive and horrible hard to have and do.... :lol:

Will let you know if I get them how bad they are and more importantly if they work :lol:

I have diclo's for the inflammation, they have always suited me but the pain is dealt with from trams and preagabs and some days the sternum has me in tears so I honestly do know how much it hurts.

Mine comes and stays a lot now but it does have quieter moments and well hang in there and with a bit of luck the tablets will start to help you a lot soon.

Hang in there flower and let us know how you get on. Cris x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i to have inflimation on sternum and ibuprophen the only thing that helps on top of other meds i take try a wheat bag as well as the muscles go into spasam (in my back as well last time) so need help to relax and remembering to breath deep enough awfull as it hurts finding mine moving sides and up and down a real pain do hope yours has settled did get offered injections but thought would wait till got to stage can not mannage with out val
    val
  • Cazz
    Options
    Thank you for your input Brenda!

I dont suppose you have found a comfy position to sleep have you?

Yours Hopefully,
    Cazz x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Cazz,

I find there isn't one.... sleep hasn't been easy for months but have got 2 duvets under the sheet now and as long as I don't lie there too long its a bit easier.....

Kinda wondering about a hammock :wink: Cris x
  • Cazz
    Options
    LOL yes ! a hammock!

I am ok as long as I dont move, if I want to turn I have to clutch my chest and hold it still. :sad: and of course you DO move!! and it hurts.

Cazz x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Cazz,

i find heat helps mine a bit... the over blanket on full is useful and I am so lucky I don't get hot too quick.... less I having a flush.... :roll:

For me its easy cus I can't turn i my sleep... the ribs and sternum are happier laid on the back... the lumber and neck ain't but sometimes they are secondary to the strum :lol:

I tell you this hard lump thing is only the size of a pea but hell does it hurt if it is pushed or touched, even by a shirt....

I have this huge great hulking lab who sneaks on the bed a fair bit but knows she shouldn't..... so gets off the min I wake.... always via the sternum...

Thinking of a suit of armour as well :lol:

I reckon the jabs are getting closer :wink: Cris x
  • Cazz
    Options
    haha my lump is bigger than your lump!!

( although maybe this is nothing to gloat about)

mine is the size of a tomato, and I do get hot in bed ( no hidden meaning here :oops: )

My doctor has said ice! but not sure I fancy going to sleep with a bag of frozen peas on my chest! :wink:

Cazz x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Cazz,

For what its worth a mate of mine had a lump, a really big one and well it was from her sternum into her collar bone....

She went to Birmingham to have it bi-opsed and they took out her collar bone as well as the lump...

She is doing fine so if surgery becomes the way forward please don;t let it frighten you.

I don't know how you cope with things touching the tomato? I really find jut the pea one hard enough.

Hang in there and I promise if I do get the jabs I will let you know....

Mind the botox, triggers and de-nerve will be enough for the next visit :wink:

Then home via Pendenis to nick a suit of armour :lol:

Keep in touch cus that helps as well. Cris x
  • Cazz
    Options
    Thanks for that, it is all very very helpful xx

Cazz x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Cazz :grin:

Sorry, I can't offer any words of wisdom about the sternum OA... one area where I don't have arther.

Just wanted to say I hope you find some relief from the pain... and to agree with Cris that maybe you need stronger/ more effective pain relief?

I shuddered at the mention of trying frozen peas on your chest :eek: :shock: ... for me heat has always been the preferred option!

Hope this flare soon passes. :wink:

iris xxx
  • Cazz
    Options
    What a great site this is!!!

Today I have got up with 50% less apin and had a good night's sleep, mind you, the alcohol consumed might have been the main reason for that! :wink:

Cazz x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Cazz wrote:
    What a great site this is!!!

Today I have got up with 50% less apin and had a good night's sleep, mind you, the alcohol consumed might have been the main reason for that! :wink:

Cazz x

Nice one Cazz :lol::lol:

YES! This site is fantastic!!
  • Cazz
    Options
    Pain today

75% painfree! :grin:

Cazz xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah, I think I've got it - you are only 25% hurting so the majority isn't - good news indeed and long may that last! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben