I thought DMARDS were meant to prevent flare ups

Options
donnas
donnas Member Posts: 119
edited 20. Aug 2011, 10:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I thought DMARDS were meant to prevent flare ups. But here I am flaring up for the first time since I went on methotrexate. Also on low dose sulfasalazine.

Just moaning. And fed up. and stiff and sore.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    They don't. I have always flared, even on anti TNFs. I have had my knees drained whilst on anti TNFs when my inflammatory markers were just 1 and 2! :shock: Some are more fortunate in that the meds better control matters but others are not so lucky. This is a powerful beast and the meds don't always subdue it. It will pass, all things do. Keep up with the meds, rest and I hope it eases soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Donna

Sorry you are having a flare there flower.

The DMARDS are meant to help get you into an keep you in remission but sadly it is only remission. It can last years or it can last day....

The dose gets adjusted to the point you are under control and from there remission can come.

I don't know if they could up either the sulfa or the mtx for you maybe? It can take a while to get the dose right but don't forget also it might flare up here and there but the longer you are on them the better they might work.

Hope you soon feel a lot better and be kind to yourself. Cris x
  • donnas
    Options
    Since my last flare I've been trying to get a rheumatology nurse, with no luck. I work in the hospital I'm a patient at so I just emailed the lead nurse and she's seeing me next week!

I think the methotrexate is making my migraines worse, and the sulfasalazine makes me nauseous, so it's a delicate balancing act.

Thanks for support, feeling miserable today.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Poor you, it is a delicate balancing act indeed and I think I've fallen off my tightrope. I am on the thin end of the humira wedge so I am going back to bed. :sad: Blasted bloody arthritis. I hope you feel brighter soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Donna,

I wish they would see you quick flower.... how about the gp mind here they don't mess with the consultants meds....

We have a system to ring the rumo's secretary and maybe you could try that?

I can't remember how long you have been on the mtx for now?

Its possible they need to re look at your dmards and either adjust or change them.

You take the folic acid? We all have it at different rates but thats meant to ease some of the mtx side effects and I react to the mtx to some degree so have 10ml (i got liquid cus the tablets make me sick) 6 days a week and its helped a bit....

Hang in there flower and you do need to get them to see you so maybe the gp can help get you an appointment?

I would ring the rumo's secretary if its triggering your migraines.

Its hard to stay up beat flower but hang in there and let us know how you get on please? Cris x
  • donnas
    Options
    She's seeing me on Tuesday morning. That's pretty good I think. I could probably see the reg quicker, but I wanted a rheumatology nurse anyway so I'm happy with that.

I take my folic acid once a week as prescribed. I've been on the MTX since april so it should be working. the migraine thing is pretty severe and I can't be sure abut the mtx but they do seem more frequent and severe since I started it. Hands getting sore have to stop typing.

thanks all.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello Donna,

As has already been said, unfortunately they don't always prevent flare ups and arthritis has a mind of it's own.

I'm also on MTX and low dose sulfa. How long have you been on them in combination? My rheumy nurse said it can take a good few months and that's once you're on the right dose for you. I see you said you take folic acid once a week, I'm wondering if taking it 6 days a week (not MTX day) would help with the side effects? No idea if it would help, just a suggestion.

I'm really glad you managed to get an appt to see someone. I hope they can offer some help. Take good care and rest up lots. xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Hi Donna

when l fisrt discoveredc DMARDs l too thought they knocked it right on the head, but unfortunately they dont always get it right first or second or even third try.

If you are suffering too much and your next appt is a long way off l would contact them for advice. Maybe they can increase the MTX firther or try the injectable method.

I am so sorry things haven't sorted out easily for you, but some of us do take some sorting and you might be taking a little longer.

Hugs ((((()))) for you and take your pain meds for now as much as you are allowed. Treat yourself to something you like too...chocolate? a film? a new book??

Love Toni xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Donnas

Sorry you are struggling so much at the moment. I am so pleased that you are seeing the nurse next week because it does sound to me as if the combination of meds is not working well enough for you and that the side effects are not helping either. As the others have said it can be a real roller-coaster ride trying to find the best possible combination of meds and to balance the benefits/side effects. I'm guessing that, since you have only been taking the mtx since April, you are quite new to all this - but hang in there. There are lots of drug options out there and hopefully, you will find a combination of meds which helps - sooner rather than later.

Thinking of you.

Tilly xxx