First day at school

Options
caterina57
caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
edited 22. Aug 2011, 05:25 in Community Chit-chat archive
My Godson is starting "big" school in September at the age of 4. He is very excited and has shown me his new school uniform three times!
Do you remember your first day at school?
Mine was traumatic - despite starting with my twin sister. I cried and screamed and hung on to my mums coat to stop her from leaving me. I was dragged off by the teacher and ripped the coat in the process. I cried all day and my mum said that she cried all the way home on the bus and returned at lunch time and saw me walking round the playground holding my sisters hand -still crying.
I cried for 3 days solid ----but after that I Loved it. So much so that I never had a day off in the whole of primary school and have the certiicate to prove it!
Cath

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    was put in new scratchy clothes taken into class room by mum shown where peg was with picture on so could see which was mine sat at table with group of strange children and left hated it hardly spoke to teachers all through school and never tried as always felt intimidated by them never encouraged it could be because was slow reader think slight dyslexic but never heard of it then it was thick tut tut teacher listened to those who could read and pupils listened to those of us who could not
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Cat my first day was the same as yours.I screamed and cried and begged my Mum to take me home. However she walked away and didn't look back which was a credit to her as I was spoiled rotten. I lasted 3 weeks as we were due to move house so Mum moved me to a new school early. I think I was okay at the next school although I can remember being forced to eat my veg! And a teacher threatened to smack me...you could never do that nowadays!!!!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    My first day I cried too. A lovely girl called Elizabeth came to my rescue and showed me to my peg where I hung my coat and pump bag.
    I think it took till milk time (which was just before lunch) before I was happy.

I cried when I took my daughter to school on her first day, what set me off was that she was waving and crying at the window. Walked home dabbing my eyes.

Juliepf x
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    I remember being shown where my primary school was once by my older brother in the holidays before starting and then having to toddle off by myself at the grand age of 4.5 years because my parents worked long hours and I have a disabled little sister who went to a different school and nursery to me :???: You couldn't make it up, could you... but I do remember dad taking time off work to come and see my plays at school, very sweet, they did their best.

Do you think this is where my independent streak comes from??

Nowadays, it's all different, of course. My younger two, aged 7 and 9 will start walking to school by themselves come September - the school's only round the corner from them :D We've just always been able to take them and drop off.

My eldest goes back to school on Wednesday - yes, 24th August!!! Does anyone else's kids go to an academy?

Nxx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Until I started at infant school, I had never really come across any boys before as I have a sister but no brothers, and we always played with other girls. I had my hair in long plaits tied with ribbons, and during the first playtime at school, a couple of boys chased me around the playground and pulled off my ribbons. That confirmed in my mind that boys were nasty little creatures best avoided, a belief that I continued to hold all through primary school. In fact, I thought that they were a different species. :lol: Somewhere around the age of 14, I changed my mind though, but by that time I was at an all-female school so there weren't any boys around to distract me, luckily.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Cath,

oh bless him its good he was excited....

I do remember my first day at school.... I really hated it....

Was hellbent on escaping... they had to lock the doors to keep me in... so I went out through the loo's windons, fell and really hurt my self and got smacked trice....

my mother was the head teacher :lol::lol::lol:

She gave me hell cus he was so embarrassed....

Hope you ok flower and leaving you a ((( ))) cris xx
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Thanks Cris Hugs back to you too
    Yes I loved school--- but was smacked everyday.... in fact i couldn't wait to tell my mum how many smacks I had at the end of the day! I was never naughty apparently ....just very attention seeking!
    Cath
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    My first day consisted of me telling everyone it was my birthday.....then they would make a fuss of me.....no way I got a smack off the teacher.. :shock: then is was a regular occurrence....got smacked for not being able to read certain words....could not get the hang of squirrel..I knew what it said but couldn't say it... :???:
    Love
    Barbara
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Our headteacher at Primary School used to poke us really hard when she was telling us off (me, frequently). She had really long nails too... I still have the dents in my shoulders!

Nxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Bless your grandson for being so keen and I hope he enjoys it. I cannot remember my first day at all. I hated primary school. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben