Emu Oil.

Options
Cazz
Cazz Member Posts: 40
edited 21. Aug 2011, 04:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya!

I want to share this link with you as have been told it is very good stuff!!!

Link deleted as it contravenes house rule 2
2. The forum is not a shop so please don’t advertise or promote products and services on the forum in any way

YEH

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Cazz,

I used to be a total sceptic.... but...

The vets use a lot of natural remedies but and its a big but, they only help in the early stages after that its prescription only that do the job.

Animals can't do placebo but its only when the arthritis has started its helpful...

I do find sometimes gel help with the spasming, even if its only cu they bring in warmth.....

I am a bit of a sceptic though flower. If it helps you thats great but don't leave off the prescription drugs as well. Cris x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I don't know who told you that, Cazz but I think you'll find there are no scientific studies proving it is of any use and that standards vary enormously. At a glance, it seems to me you might as well just eat margerine. Sorry to be so negative but I've just contributed to the 'Managing Arthritis Without Medication.' thread and been reminded of all the blind alleys I went down in my younger, less cynical, days.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've heard about this and still maintain that if anything like this worked none of us would be on this forum. It doesn't and we are.

People like us are a very easy target for the snake oil salesmen, they play on our fears and doubts and use words such as 'may' and 'could'. I have tried all kindsa things in the past and have a strong resolve never to go down such routes again. But, you never know, it might, just might, work for someone and that someone could be you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Cazz
    Options
    You may be right, but for less than £20 I am willing to give it a go. People say that Glucosomine doesn't work, but I certainly dont get the flare up using it like I used to.

Cazz x
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Hmmmm I'm afraid I am a sceptic too.

There are lots of people trying to make a 'quick buck' out of people suffering from awful long term conditions such as arthritis so I would be very wary indeed of spending £20 on this....
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Cazz

I'm afraid I agree with the other peeps :!:

Why not ask your doc about it before spending any money on it?

I googled emu oil and found this on Wikipedia
    quote:

Emu oil is an oil made from the fat of the emu, Dromaius novaehollandiae, a bird native to Australia.[1][2] It has been used historically by the Australian aborigines for the treatment of burns, wounds, bruises, and as a pain reliever for bone, muscle, and joint disorders. 100% pure emu oil can vary widely in color and viscosity, but, assuming the emu has enjoyed a natural diet, is generally a yellow liquid.[3] It is composed of approximately 70% unsaturated fatty acids. The largest component is oleic acid, a mono-unsaturated omega-9 fatty acid. Emu oil also contains about 20% linoleic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid) and 1-2% linolenic acid (an omega-3 fatty acid).
    A handful of studies have suggested that emu oil, applied topically, may have anti-inflammatory properties or promote wound healing in various rodent models.[4][5] While there are no studies showing that emu oil is effective in humans, it is marketed and promoted as a dietary supplement with a wide variety of claimed health benefits.
    Commercially marketed emu oil supplements are poorly standardized and vary widely in their potency.[6] Such products are sometimes marketed deceptively; the U.S. Food and Drug Administration highlighted emu oil in a 2009 article on "How to Spot Health Fraud."[7]

Iris :roll:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Cazz,

For me forget it on the grounds of ethics re animals...... Cris x

Thanks Iris xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Oh no!!

Poor Emus :shock: how would they get it?

No dont tell me.

Cazz l hope it helps you l really do.

Love
    toni xx
  • Cazz
    Options
    Oh dear, :sad:

I feel guilty now for ordering it!

And, today I have got up with 50% less pain!!

Cazz. x