Blocked Drains

julie47
julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
edited 30. Aug 2011, 16:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
Morning everyone

Yesterday my oh half was outside and noticed that our drain was spilling water as the washing machine was emptying. Further investigation and the man hole drains were nearly to the top, :eek:

Wondering where the blockage was my oh went round to all the neighbours Iin his sherlock holmes hat and armed with his magnifying glass to investigate the problem. He found the blockage 2 doors down. As they were not in and it was 6pm in the evening we had to call out someone before it got dark.(he did have the permission of the son who was on his way to work ,to look down drain)

An hour and a half later the drain man came.
The cause of the blockage was face/baby wipes. Why some one one flushes these things down the loo I do not know.

Because we were the ones who called out the drain men , we were the ones to have to foot the bill. :x even though we don't use the said cause of the problem.

SO

shop around before you commit to a company coming out. One company wanted 180.00 and 45 per hour.
The company we used was 90.00 and 35 per hour.
The bill was 108.00 a massive saving thank goodness.

juliepf x

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wow its still a lot of money wont neighbours at least pay half?
    I once brought some facial cleaning wipes from b***s the assistant did warn me not to flush them.hope things are okay now.I did wonder when i saw the post what was going to be blocked. :!: Mig :wink:
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    We had similar problem with our drains

It was our drain though, but we only spent £22 as we bought some drain rods from wi**es and hubby managed to clear it with the rods. It is a problem by us and we have a giggle when the neighbours call the major drain clearing people who take 10 mins and charge the earth.

But as for the neighbours blocked drains, how can people still think its ok to pjt nappies etc down the loo??? Its irresponsible.

Janie
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Gosh Julie

I would not hsve known what to do... So thanks for this information!

Marion x
  • julie47
    Didn't know that del, will keep it in mind.

The company was quick at clearing the drain but probably cause OH had done homework and .......the fact he followed him round making sure he didn't waste time :lol: I also had my eye on the clock too :lol:
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    delboy wrote:
    Sometimes shared drains are classed as a public sewer and covered by the water company so always check with them first.

We have had blocked drains before - I've called Severn Trent out for my parents' house and our own. They are very good, will come out almost straight away, stay in touch with you on your mobile (because I had gone to work) and we weren't charged for unblocking?

We received a letter through the post a while back saying that Severn Trent's responsibility for drains now came right up to our actual building, not the boundaries of our property. I'm not sure what the case is in your area, but do check - you may get a refund on your money if you explain? Or a partial refund? I think it's worth making a phone call, that's a lot of money you paid...

Good luck
    Nina X
  • julie47
    Thankyou nina

I will enquire today, not sure if it applies here but it is worth a try.

juliepf x
  • julie47
    Just rang the water company. The lady was very helpful. BUT we can not claim this time.From october 1st a new rule comes into force in our area whereas the water company takes responsibility for the main drain that we all share. If it happens again I will next time get in touch with them first (after 1st oct).

Thank you for your advice.
    Juliepf x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    We have had bubbly water coming out the drain in our garden so OH is going to investigate. We have often had this problem and it is usually caused by wipes. We have new neighbours with many children.OH has a rodding kit and does all the dirty work thankfully.

What a shame you are paying. Surely it should be divided between all the houses at least.

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    delboy wrote:
    Sometimes shared drains are classed as a public sewer and covered by the water company so always check with them first.

This was exactly the same situation when I found our drains (and our neighbours) blocked.
    Although it was me that called out the drainage company I explained that the drains were shared and they invoiced the water company.
    The cause was disposable nappies,our kids were grown up so we weren't the culprits!!
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Better luck next time, Julie, at least you have more information now. If it was me, I'd write a nice letter to Severn Trent Customer Services too... it might just get you some money back. Sometimes your letter gets read by some softie who takes pity :D

I don't understand people who throw baby wipes down the loo? I mean, what exactly are you doing when changing the baby's nappy? With all 3 of my girls, when I changed their nappy, the wipes I used got put into the dirty nappy, wrapped up and thrown away?? And now when they use wipes, they use Kandoo (or Asda's brand, whichever is on offer) which are suitable for flushing - we've never had blocked drains because of wipes??

Strange...
    Nxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    [OH has a rodding kit and does all the dirty work thankfully.

E x[/quote]

He does have some uses then Elizabeth :wink:

Serioulsy neighbours and wipes/nappies is a common one :roll:

and to think l thought this post was from someone who had had too much co-codamol/tramadol :lol:

Love

Toni xx
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    They may have been using so called 'flushable' wipes..... you can get them for baby, toddlers or even just cleaning, and so won't of realised there is a problem

But this is a misnomer because on many drains they still can cause blockages especially if you live in anywhere with narrow old style / victorian drains, they may not block immediatly like normal wipes but you will still get a build up and in the long term a nice stinky mess :???:

It is a serious problem and personally think they shouldn't be marketed as such as it leads to a false sense of security.
    Chrissie
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Don't go to a Spanish Ironmonger for help He sold me Cocentrated Sulphuric acid to clear a blocked sink!!!!!
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    :shock: