not been online for a while

Options
L1985
L1985 Member Posts: 120
edited 22. Aug 2011, 03:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

Sorry I havent been online for a while my hands have been really painful so typing was out the question.

In the last 6 weeks I have noticed the tips of my fingers look like they are moving to the left (finger is straight then the tip bending left) hope that makes sense! Is this part of RA?

I havent started any treatment for the RA yet as im waiting to have an operation and the rhuematologist doesnt want to start it until after the op. Im in alot of pain and I can now feel it in my elbows. It was previously just in my fingers, wrists and knees.

Im back at the rhuematologist on wednesday and dont want to waste the appointment. Is there anything I could ask to try before the op?

I have had a steroid jab but it didnt help. Also on an evening im dropping things like my baby's bottle and cups etc just slipping out of my hand. Its happening when im really tired. Are support gloves any help or do they make your muscles weak?

Sorry for the long ramble

Lulu xxx

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lulu and nice to meet you :grin:

Sorry you're having such a tough time with such an increase in pain. :sad:

I have PA not RA but have had quite a lot of arther to deal with in my hands as well as other joints. :!:

It sounds as though you need a review of your RA / joints to determine what is causing the increase in joint pain and the 'drift' in your fingers.
    As everyone is different (what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another) I'd hesitate to offer advice on particular drugs that might help ...especially with an op coming up!. Your doc or rheummy would best advise you on what you can take.
    What I would say though is that you should be able to get adequate pain relief, so perhaps this is something you could discuss with your rheummy.?

Make a list of the pain you are experiencing, which joints are affected, whether it's worse morning / evening, any stiffness or reddening of the joints..any noticeable pattern in joint pain.

I hope your Wed appointment goes well ...and that you benefit from your forthcoming op.

Iris xxx

ps... An OT or physio could advise you on whether pressure gloves or splints would be useful for you.
    I always found them to be of benefit and as long as you don't overuse them it doesn't affect the muscle strength. :wink:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi i buy loads of cheep plates etc when see them on offer as drop so many same with mugs glasses and dishes can not give you any advice but tell rhummy he should have some ideas perhaps he can get your op done quicker so you can get meds you need val
    val
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Lulu,
    I am sorry you are suffering so much at the moment and I can understand how anxious you are feeling. I do hope your opp is due soon and then you will be able to start your treatment for RA.
    I am waiting for the gloves and have been told that they will help me with both finger swelling and joint problems. I do have splints and they are great when I am doing housework etc. I only wear them when necessary so as not to weaken my muscles.
    As Iris has said if you can ask for a referral to the OT department as they are usually very good and can recommend exercises as well as help deciding about gloves and/or splints.
    Good luck with your appointment on Wednesday, let us know if you can how you get on.
    Lv, I x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Hi lulu

good to see you again.

Sorry you have been feeling so rough.....l think the best thing you can do is share tis information with teh rheumatologist and hope taht he/she has some ideas.

When is your operation l wonder? Sooner the better really, but if it's a way off maybe they will start you on something and wean you off just for the op??

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Lulu

Sorry you haven't been able to post because of the pain in your hands and are unable to start treatment for your ra yet.
    I just want to wish you luck for wednesday and I hope you are not having to wait too long for your operation.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • L1985
    L1985 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks for the kind messages. I will ask them about some gloves or support. I can really feel it in my wrists when im pushing the pushchair or hoovering so if I just wore them for those times then hopefully it will help.

Im 3rd on the list to be operated on and have been told it will be done by the 27th september which in reality is not that far away but it feels like a lifetime away.

I was told the steroid jab didnt work as my thyroid levels were too high (my graves had flared up which is what the operation is to sort out) the nurse said my immune system is more lively with the graves so it effects the RA. Is this right? I was told they are not connected or am I just not understanding what they have said? Even when my thyroid levels are normal im still in alot of pain with my joints so Im worried they are using that as an excuse and not really acting on things.

It worries me that I can now feel it in my elbows and thats come on in the last 6 weeks so where will it spread to in the next 6 weeks!

Lots of questions again for them

xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi, I am sorry to hear of all the trouble you have been having - things often have to worsen before they improve. I hope the op is done sooner rather than later so that you can get onto the meds that might help the arthritis. Let us know how you get on, please. DD

As for the immune system thing, RA is caused by an over-active immune system so yes, I think the other condition would trigger it. You poor girl, what a deal to cope with. :sad:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben