Whatever happened to women's lib?

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 24. Aug 2011, 12:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
Chatting to my grand-daughter, Mary, aged 7, we discussed what she might like to be when she grows up. Without hesitation, she said, ''a housewife''. :!: :shock: When I asked her why, she said that she intends to have quite a few children, so she thinks they will be a full-time job, and also she will need a big house so she will need time to look after it.

When I suggested that she might consider combining a career with motherhood, as both her Mum and me have done, she was adamant that she didn't want that for herself. It made me smile, and I wondered whether she will still think the same way when she grows up. But maybe she has a point as so many women wear themselves into the ground by working so hard while bringing up a family.

I pointed out to Mary that she will need to find a rich husband if she is to achieve her ambition, but she didn't seem to think that would too difficult :lol:

Whatever happened to women's lib :?: Perhaps I got it all wrong :shock:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Joan, bless little mary, she has made me smile. :grin:

I hope she does find a very rich husband and has lots of children :grin:
    and a lovely little house wife she will be too.

Juliepf x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    it takes all sorts to make the world go around it would be a boring place if not . i never wanted a career have worked part time since the boys went to school but money never was that important so long as could save for some of what the boys wanted and pay the bills was enough for me i know staying home with the boys till they started full time school was a luxury most do not get we do not have a car or large house but we have plenty of love and time for each other val
    val
  • joanlawson
    Julie- It occurred to me that some women have lots of children whether they have a rich husband or not, and then they rely on the tax-payer to support them :roll: I don't imagine that Mary will be one of that type of housewife and mother though, at least I hope not.

Val- I think you got your priorities right by putting your boys first. I took a career break of nearly 6 years before I returned to work, and I loved being a full-time mother and housewife. My daughter stayed at home for 7 years, but then she got the chance of a teaching job at the infant school where her own children are pupils, so it was a great opportunity for her. Maybe Mary has seen how hard her Mum works, and how exhausted she sometimes gets in the process, and has decided that's not for her :lol:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    i think it depends on the type of person you are i never knew what i wanted to do and did not think i had a brain (till went back to collage age 31) even then did it more for me than a job needed to prove to myself i could do it. head of year wanted me to go on to uni and do teaching but could not face more years of learning and did not think had patients to be teacher they special breed and spelling not good enough lol val
    val
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Its funny i'm sure she'll run through a million 'jobs' she wants to do before she actually gets to where life takes her.
    At least its a possibility....my son (3) currently wants to be a dinosaur who drivers either a bus, a digger or a train but not a racing car because that would be silly :roll:
  • joanlawson
    cthornley wrote:
    Its funny i'm sure she'll run through a million 'jobs' she wants to do before she actually gets to where life takes her.
    At least its a possibility....my son (3) currently wants to be a dinosaur who drivers either a bus, a digger or a train but not a racing car because that would be silly :roll:

I love that :!: Your son should go far in life :!: :lol::lol:
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Hi Joan

Your post made me smile :smile: Isnt Mary a wee sweetie pie, children make everything so simple and always know exactly what they want and can even give valid reasons for their choices at such a young age. I thought I had brought my son up to believe that men and women are equal, I have always been a housewife and have only done part time voluntary work when I am well enough. The other night my husband made dinner for a change and my son (who is 18) offered to do the dishes. I went into a state of shock and asked why he never offers to do the dishes when I cook. His reply was "its your job". Obviously he will live to regret this answer in the near future :green
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    cthornley wrote:

How wonderful, this made me laugh out loud :lol: I miss my son being this age, he wanted to be the red power ranger but at 18 he has become a guitar playing, unshaven, uni student who thinks he knows everything about everything but in fact he knows nothing about anything :grin:
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Having had the honour of meeting Mary, I'm sure she will do exactly what she wants to do in life and do it very well :D She is beautiful too, so I'm sure bagging a rich husband won't be a problem!

Do you think she has got it spot on? Surely wimmin's lib was all about empowering wimmin and giving them choices - who are we to say that she shouldn't make THIS particular choice? If that's what she wants to do, then I think she should go for it. After my youngest was born, I took a 2.5 year career break and loved every minute, which was a surprise because I didn't think I would!

But like all the ladies on here, she'll probably change her mind again (as wimmin are entitled to do!). My 9 year old is currently umm'ing and ahh'ing over being either a doctor, teacher or optician! My 7 year old will, no doubt, end up doing something everyone is envious of - that girl is so "cool", it blows my mind sometimes, she has quite a following at school! My 12 year old isn't quite decided but I think she has the personality (and talent) of becoming an art teacher. But she wanted to be a giraffe when she grew up :D

Nxx
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Don't Know what has happened to Women's lib Probably realised a full time career and raising kids is bloody hard work.Most women now postpone having kids till too late I was supportive of my wife having kids and a career Now she regrets combining the two Sadly she thinks that kids were not the best choice Everyone has a free ,choice Hope that everyone picks the right one Remember how happy my female family members in 40s and 50s were with not persuing a career