So how do you put your socks on?

Options
migrembe
migrembe Member Posts: 24
edited 24. Aug 2011, 17:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just been officially diagnosed with arthritis in my knees. Worse in the left one after i suffered a fall im march of this year. Bending my knee is difficult and im in pain most of the time, thankfully most of the time a soft hum. I'm grateful it's been summer but how do you put your socks on and tie laces on trainers?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Socks - plenty of sock aids around in disability catalogues, on or offline. Probably even from Amazon.

Shoelaces - Delboy put up a link to an ingenious method. You can find the link on his post on Pg21 of the 'Simple Ideas' thread near the top of this page.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi migrembe and nice to meet you. :grin:

OT can provide you with a 'sock aid'... which is a plastic device with long straps attached. (sorry hopeless description :roll: ) It's fiddly to use at first but you soon get the hang of it! and ..no knee bending required!!

I'll pass on the laces bit... gave them up long ago and moved to velcro strap shoes instead. :eek:

hope to see you posting around the forum :wink:

Iris xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Socks? With some difficulty, usually I sit on the edge of the bed and bend over. My ankles are affected so the days of dressing standing up are long gone. I tend to float around in long skirts now as I can put those over my head (float being a complete mis-nomer!) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Ask my hubby, sons, friends, passing stranger from the street ............in fact anyone at all really :lol::lol: Good job I've learnt not to be too proud to ask :grin:

Oh and welcome from me too :grin:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    since meds kicked in it not a big problem any more for me thank goodness cutting toe nails was worst of all .
    welcome from me as well val
    val
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Migrembe, welcome. I use the sock aid that iris described, and I find that it works quite well it is slower than putting then on used to be but a lot easier than struggling as I do now, the device has there wide prongs that bend to form a u shape which you put inside you sock then you lower the sock to the floor using the straps and put you toes inside then pull the straps and it pulls the sock over your heel and up your leg. I hope that makes sense.
    As for laces well I try to avoid them if I can.

Tracey
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    If I can't find a disability aid to help ; I'm very fortunate to have a loving , caring hubby to help me . Jillyb
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi Migrembe

Its the simple everyday things that are the hardest. I have OA in every joint and cant get anywhere near my feet as my hips dont bent and my arms dont straighten. I got a sock aid from my OT but like Lindalegs I am not proud and will ask anyone within a reasonable distance to help me. Dont be shy :grin: I have loads of comfy slip on shoes for the summer and I dont need socks with them and there are no laces. In winter I usually wear those comfy Ugg boot type things (the cheap versions) as they are also easy to get on. You will get loads of advice on here about all different things, dont be scared to ask as theres always someone with a good idea or good advice. Hope to see you around. Take care xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • migrembe
    Options
    Thank you all for your welcome and your advice, i will be back, Bev :smile:
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi,

If you can sit in a chair and bend from your waist, get the sock on the top of your foot then push your foot along the carpet to push it all the way on your foot. It works for me!
    If you have wooden floors that grippy material works just as well lay some on the floor and push your foot along it.
    As for laces I now have shoes with velcro.
    Good luck,
    Anita.
  • migrembe
    Options
    I don't know how old everyone is but i suddenly feel very old at only 48, bev :roll:
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Good Morning Bev

I am 38 and have had OA since I was a child. Some days I feel 18 again and other days I feel about 145. The monings are the worst for me and it takes me so long to get moving. Hope you have a good day today xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Socks:- I don't do, my OH does that for me!
    Shoes with laces:- I try and avoid and go for sketchers shoes or rocketdog shoes as they have valcro buckeled shoes and look trendy! Only wear laces on my boots and the OH does them up for me!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    migrembe wrote:
    I don't know how old everyone is but i suddenly feel very old at only 48, bev :roll:

Left knee- 20 months
    Right Knee - 30 years
    Left Hip - 18 years
    Right Hip - 10 years
    Rest of Body - 65, going on 80
    Head - 12, going on 20
    Brain - Unused
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    I am afraid I have to ask oh to do this for me.

I have got a sock puller on but I can't use it :roll:

juliepf x
  • migrembe
    Options
    weejean wrote:
    Good Morning Bev

I am 38 and have had OA since I was a child. Some days I feel 18 again and other days I feel about 145. The monings are the worst for me and it takes me so long to get moving. Hope you have a good day today xx

Some days i feel like im 145 too and my mother is 81 and can still sit cross legged on the floor - go figure??? I hope today was a good day for you too. Bev
  • migrembe
    Options
    migrembe wrote:

Left knee- 20 months
    Right Knee - 30 years
    Left Hip - 18 years
    Right Hip - 10 years
    Head - 12, going on 20
    Brain - Unused

left knee - 80 or is that 180?
    right knee - 48 going on 58
    brain - atrophying day by day but my kids would say about 5
    rest of body - depends on the day and the weather

Thanks for that it made me laugh :lol:

bev
  • lindalegs
    Options
    My hubby hates putting tights on for me, the look on his little face if ever I ask :sad: ......................so I just wear skirts in summer and trousers in the winter these days.

Generally I feel my age of 53 though most people think I'm heaps older :roll: :lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
  • migrembe
    Options
    I don't have a dear hubby and i do like the idea of accosting a passing stranger especially if he's young, rich and good looking :oops:
  • lindalegs
    Options
    migrembe wrote:
    I don't have a dear hubby and i do like the idea of accosting a passing stranger especially if he's young, rich and good looking :oops:

Just the sort of men I ask to reach me things in Sainsburys though I'm old enough not to be bothered is he's young, rich or good looking .........so long as he's male that does me :wink::lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    My hubby hates putting tights on for me

How does he feel about taking them off???
    Steven Wright
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    migrembe wrote:

Left knee- 20 months
    Right Knee - 30 years
    Left Hip - 18 years
    Right Hip - 10 years
    Head - 12, going on 20
    Brain - Unused

love it :lol:
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I do as DD said, bend over while sat on bed, and i also wear fluffy socks as they are easier to slide on me feet.. or as the others said if all else fails i ask someone to help lol..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    My hubby hates putting tights on for me

How does he feel about taking them off???

:wink::wink::wink::wink::lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    I'm 56 and was first diagnosed with RA when I was 15. However it lay dormant until I was 30 when I had my 2nd child then it really hit the fan.#
    Age is just a number and this awful disease isn't fussy.
    I do remember when I was about 7 and having knee pains being told it's growing pains!! Knowing what I know now I reckon it was RA all along!!