Hello

Options
fulton
fulton Member Posts: 88
edited 29. Aug 2011, 13:47 in Say Hello Archive
Hi im David i was told i have OA last week and im struggling to get to grips with it! I broke the 5 bones in my foot just below the ankle in 1996 and now its back to haunt me!
Im 38 and have a very active backgroud from boxing to dancing and the army ! I have a passion for dogs so much that I have set up a Guard Dog company so I can work my 2 German Shepherds and im affraid that i may have to give this up aswelIl!(hopefully just take a back seat)
After chatting with someone at Arthritis Care I thought is take a look at the site and get as much info as I can on OA!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Fulton, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have two sorts of this rubbish and the OA is worse in some respects than the other - I am fifteen years into it all tho, so some way ahead of you. I am glad you have spoken to AC, they are a good bunch on there and we will do our best to answer any questions you may have. (The LWA forum is the place for queries about meds, docs, appointments etc) Please bear in mind that everyone's version of this pestilence is different but there are many OAers on that forum and I am sure they will be as supportive as they can. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fulton
    Options
    Thanks dreamdaisy AC was great the guy on the phone was really helpful I am stressed about about it but have to deal with it! Im not really sure how long ive had OA as ive had pains in it ever since i broke it in 96! But being ex army im hopeing I can get a blue badge for the days when i really struggle to walk! I want to carry on working as long as i can and hopefully that will be for some years yet!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have a BB and it's so useful. I have been on crutches since 2002, having the two types of arthritis is not that good I have to admit. Don't be afraid to invest in a stick for the more difficult days and hold it on the opposite side to the affected joint. OA often results after trauma or injury to a joint, I am sure mine has come as a result of the PA damage in my knees (I have to lose three stone or be fifty five before I can have at least one new knee. I am not sure which target will come first as I am fifty-two-and-a-half!) We are a wise bunch on here, we know our stuff. There are a couple of people recovering from ankle fusing/replacement and one new one awaiting an ankle op. Their threads may be of interest to you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dfawke
    dfawke Member Posts: 19
    Options
    hiya you have joined a really good site. Im a bit of a newbie too.
    im 33 and found out recently i have oa in my right knee, i am finding every day different apart from the stiffness in the mornings which is always present.
    Iv started doing some exercises which iv found on the internet, as muscle strengthening exercises for my legs are best for me to do.
    If i was 1 stone lighter that would be great ha ha
    Just take your time to gather as much info and help as you can. Hopfully you have a good gp?
    Work is a worry too as future health and fitness feels an unknown area at the moment, i do understand that as i work full time too.
    Just keep popping onto this site and ask questions whenever you are unsure.
    It is some comfort to realise you are not alone, and you certainly realise this from this site so just take everyday as it comes donna x
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi David

I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that you will get loads of advice and support here. I am 38 and have OA in every joint, some worse than others. You have been very fit and active so this must be so frustrating for you, take your time to find the information you need, feel free to ask any questions you have, no matter what they are, someone will have some kind of advice for you. Take one day at a time and deal with each problem as it arises. You will learn to cope and adapt. Hope to see you around the LWA section, its really good and has helped me so much lately. Take care xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi David

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that OA has set in after your injury. Unfortunately this can happen as others have posted similar after an accident which has affected a joint(s). If you have been in pain for so long I am surprised a medic did not pick up on it earlier but perhaps you put up with it for quite a time - as we often do!

Do post on the LWA forum as that is where many of us are either asking for advice or trying to help other members.

I have OA but it has left my ankles/feet alone so far although I had three toes dealt with at the end of March this year and still waiting for the foot to become less swollen so that I can wear all the shoes that I could before the op. It is gradually getting better and at least I am not in pain anymore.

Take care
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • fulton
    Options
    Thanks for the supports guys and girls i really appriciate it! I am wondering if I could get a blue badge now? This would be really helpful on those days that I can barely walk and those days are more often than not!
    I feel really old now ive been told I have OA.
    Ive bought a TRX and think this is the way forward as far as managing my weight is concerned I also think a lot of the people on here should look into the TRX as I could benifit most of a hell of alot!
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Good Morning David

You should definately apply for your blue badge, it is a godsend at times. I couldnt do without mine. What is a TRX?? Hope you are having a good day xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • dfawke
    dfawke Member Posts: 19
    Options
    hiya wot is a trx?
    I think i would feel a fraud if i applied for a blue badge at the moment, but will think about it in the future x
    Donna
  • fulton
    Options
    TRX is a suspension trainer you can use it all most anywhere if you take a look on youtube you will find it! I cant run or skip anymore but I have been useing this to get back into shape and it works really well! You can make as hard or easy as you like! Plus you use your core on every exercise so it a benefit! But I have been involved in sports and training most of my life this is my way of keeping going but I think it could benefit alot of people on here!

Donna dont feel like a fraud applying for a blue bagde we all have this thing that is never going to get better and I do get days when I can hardly put a shoe on with out feeling pain! I do get good days but if the badge is there it may help on the bad days!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Hi David

a quick and late welcome to you from me and to you too Donna.

This site is great for advice a chat support or a moan l hope very much that you both decide to stay and hope to see you about on the other forums too.

Love

toni xx
  • fulton
    Options
    Thanks Toni i really appriciate the welcome ive had it is great!
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry you are here that always means you have the dreaded 'A'!

I have AS and we all have good and bad days but the support and laughs you will get on this site is well worth it. Your life shouldn't be over, it may take a while to get the meds right and you may have to make some allowances but stay positive. Listen to your body and rest if needed.

Hope to speak soon. xx :grin:
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!