Starting methotrexate...

Options
sugarbuttie
sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
edited 23. Aug 2011, 11:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there

Saw my consultant today & he advised me to stop taking sulpha as it is not working & also it is causing my white blood count to fall too low.

Once my blood count is back on track he has advised me to start methotrexate starting on 7.5mg a week. This won't be for a month or so due to bloods & the backlog in getting his letter typed & sent to my GP to write the prescription (4 week backlog). It has to be the GP that prescribes the medication due to funding.

Anyway, got a steroid jab today so came away with something. Told to remain on hydroxy.

Bit apprehensive re methotrexate but keen to give it a go to see if it works for me. Can't say I'm looking forward to giving up my wine! I know I will still be able to have some...just not in the quantities I like :lol:

Do you take methotrexate? Does it work for you? Any negatives? I know we all react differently. I am going to try it & see.

Comments

• mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I am a big fan of methotrexate.. Think it's a great drug.

I had tablets originally but then went onto injections,which I much prefer.I now take 15 mg weekly and in the last few months have also added humira- one of the anti tnf drugs.

I was very nervous when first started methotrexate but now I hardly give it a thought!!

I have only had one blip with raised liver enzymes and they went back to normal after a few weeks..

Hope it works for you..

Marion
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have been on injected meth for a while now, I guess it is supporting the humira in some way, but not once has it 'done' anything for the arthritis. We are all different in how we react, I know williamlargs is doing remarkably well on just meth (he is disgustingly healthy! :smile: ). As for the drinking, it may be best to stop (or at least radically cut down) for at least three months when you begin the meth and be conscientious about doing the blood tests, that way you can establish how your liver is coping/reacting and what is 'normal' for you. (I was on fortnightly tests for years.) The current medical thinking is that one can consume drink somewhere just under the weekly allowance for your gender, but some find they cannot drink at all ( :sad: ), some find they can :smile: and some find they can drink considerably more. :grin: My hospital is happy with liver figures under 50, mine are usually between 18 - 28, if they go up I ease back and they drop.

Meth is not as scary a prospect as it sounds. The side effects are not guaranteed and it can be a very effective drug: you won't know until you try, yes? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi

I have been on methotrexate for over 10 years working along side other meds and I am pleased. Still have aches and pains and the odd flare but I am happy with it.
    Hope it suits you too
    Juliepf x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Morning sugar,I started on meth when i was first diagnosed,stared slowly upping the dose was feeling sick nearly 24/7 so i went on injected meth un fortunatly the same thing started happening and i was getting so stressed then my liver count went up so we decided to stop the meth and try something else so went on leflunomide (which is starting to work for me)Meth was working just didnt suit me,i wish you luck with it,lots of people have great sucess with it.Mig
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Hi
    Im on mTX injections and have been for best part of 5 years with no problems, except it didnt seem to be doing anything for me til I came off it then my pains got much much MUCH worse so in hindsight it does something. :eek: :grin:

As for wine I generally still have what I want and my bloods have been fine, occasional glass with evening meals (ok not eveery night) and occasional binge if Im at a party and Ive been fine. Im not a mjor drinker anyway but as long as your bloods are ok you can still have some.

To some degree you have to have the things you enjoy especially as this disease can make you give up so much.

Good luck with your MTX when you get it.

Theresa xx
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi,

I've been on MTX for a few years now. I have to say it does seem to work.
    However,I do seem to get lots of infections and I had to be cut from 15mg to 10mg as I kept having chest infections so now I have to take prednisalone as well. So my immune system really takes a bashing!!
    I started on tablets but they upset my tummy too much so I changed to injections and I have no problems with my tummy now.
    Good luck hope they work for you.
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I have been on Meth for about a year now.

At first I was feeling very sick, but not anymore.
    I also take a folic acid tablet to help with the sickness.

Meth has been doing wonders for me as I haven't been in pain at all.

Would highly recommend it.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Sugarbuttie

Meth really does work well for me but, it just doesn't seem to agree with me so I am about to stop it for the second time. That said, the thing about it is that you can try it and see how it is for you and, in my experience if you don't get on with it, or if it doesn't work it seems to work its way out your system quite quickly without any long term problems. As you see from the replies you have had though, everyone's experiences are different so hopefully it will work well for you with no unwanted side effects.

Love Tilly xxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello sugarbuttie :)

I've been on MTX since May 2010. I got bumped up from 15mg to 20mg 6 months ago. It has helped the swelling and redness, especially in my hands and wrists. I still get flares of pain (and swelling) but they aren't as often as they were before. As for drinking, I'm afraid I can't help on that one as I'm not a regular drinker. I have had the odd drink or two here and there without any problems though.

For the first few months, I felt very sick and tired the day after I took MTX but since then, I've had folic acid increased to 6 times a week and the side effects have pretty much gone.

I find MTX a decent drug. My quality of life has improved on it and I hope it helps you. All the best of luck. xx