menopause and arthritis pain!!

Options
angilee
angilee Member Posts: 102
edited 24. Aug 2011, 03:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello again everyone,

Is anyone else struggling with arthritis pain AND going through the menopause? If it is not bad enough coping and living with pain everyday and being kept awake most of the night with hot flushes!!

I realise this is a bit off topic,but would love to hear from anyone else who is in this situation,and what you have found to be helpful.

Angilee

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Angil, Sorry, I sympathise with you, as I know that one without the other is bad enough.
    I have been having HRT patches for 25 years, since an early hysorectomy. Now at 56, I decided with my GP to give them up, in a graduated way, by quartering the dose then half then finish.

I thought I'd be fine and dropped the dose. I was fine for a few weeks, then the hot flushes got worse and worse my energy level dropped to nil!!! Then I had a nasty UTI, which sent me of to the docs in a hurry. I saw the doc on duty that day and he asked me why I was giving up the HRT. Anyway, the result is that I'm back on them and feel a lot better. Also when I reduced the HRT my arthritis seemed to be much worse.

HRT isn't an option that helps all of us 'women of a certain age' and I don't know your history and I'm not a medical person, but I'd go and talk to your GP and discuss anything to help your hormone levels or even just support you through a difficult time. I hope you have a sympathetic GP or nurse. Its a difficult time
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I had the both from around 2005, the meno was at its worst in 2007-2009 and now it's just the arthritis. I was told I couldn't have HRT due to the meds for the PA but actually, I didn't want it anyway, I just wanted it done and dusted and sure enough, after a few years, it was. I always carried a hand towel or some clean flannels for the inevitable melt-down in public places, plus a proper Chinese fan. I wrapped my pillow in a towel and took a spare supply of clean ones to bed for the night-melts: at its worst I slept on a bath sheet, that was lovely. I dressed in layers in natural fabrics (tho truth be told not many layers were required, even in deepest winter!) and whenever possible I swanned about in a lovely, huge, marquee of a nighty - I still do the latter! :grin: It will pass, all things do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Angilee, I too am suffering from the dear old menopause! I know you must all wonder how can bubbadog be going through the menopause when she is 38yrs old! It's beacause when I was 28yrs old I suffered from bad endometriosis I had it bad and it was covering alot of places. The consultant Gyno said I had no choice but to have a hystroectomy. He tried to safe one tube so I could still try for a baby, but the endro was to severe and I had a full hystroectomy. I'm ok about it now it was hard at 1st but with the osteo-porosis being able to have kids let alone care for them was going to be hard ! But I know dealing with the menopause and Arther together is a tuff and sweaty job!!
  • nanarose
    nanarose Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Yes, I too am suffering from both the menopause and a huge arthritis flare-up at the minute, due to having to come off methotrexate for a while.

I have night and day sweats, and it makes it really embarrassing to go out. So far I have declined HRT, as my doc has also said it wouldn't be the best thing for me, but would leave me with the final decision. I just don't fancy all the extra side-effects and dangers HRT might bestow on me.
    I haven't tried any of the supposed natural remedies, most of which I couldn't take because of the medications I am on anyway. Some people swear by them, but most of my friends said that they didn't work for them.

I carry a little battery mini-fan everywhere with me. I got it from a well known major store which has two letters in it's name...hint, hint! It is the most effective little fan I've ever had, and so handy to keep in your pocket or handbag.

At night I go for a heavy duty floor fan, which I have at my bedside within reach. I also have a pure cotton sheet on the bed, and a very low tog duvet cover, actually it was a very cheap one too, but does the job, as it's just enough to keep warm, although hubby complained for a while that he would be too cold. (He isn't)

Apart from that, I guess I'll just have to put up with it all until it eventually stops! Hopefully before I'm 60!! (I'm 52) x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Angilee et al

You have all my sympathy (I'm going through the same thing at the moment). Just bumped up a thread I started last year "hot flush miracle" which might be of interest.

Right, off to turn the fan on again. :roll:

Tilly xxx
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I take homeopathic Sepia which I take as and when its needed to cool a flush it works amazingly well I've told so many people about it , i also take dixarit from my GP which again works well and Iso Flavorins from the health shop, my flushes are well under control now. I had a hysterectomy in 09 aged 48 and my Gp refused me HRT as he said you've got to go through it one day which is true, I also keep the celing fans on when needed and like others have a hand battery fan in my bag along with a bottle of water every where i go , a hand fan also is handy to have around, I find if I get close to someone I get hot so poor hubbys cuddles are quick ones :lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    angilee wrote:
    Hello again everyone,

Is anyone else struggling with arthritis pain AND going through the menopause? If it is not bad enough coping and living with pain everyday and being kept awake most of the night with hot flushes!!

I realise this is a bit off topic,but would love to hear from anyone else who is in this situation,and what you have found to be helpful.

Angilee

Dreading this one Angilee :shock:

Read your thread for my own future :???: maybe we will both get some tips :wink:

Love

toni xx