peterpie
peterpie Member Posts: 4
edited 29. Aug 2011, 17:39 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all,

I am a newbie to this site, but have had arthritis for 25+ years (reactive / inflammatory). During this time I have been given several different diagnosis / prognosis of my condition, resulting in lots of different types of medication and surgery......!!!!!!

I had and still have a lot of faith in the Anti TNF medication that I have been taking (Humira for 6 months / and now Enbrel), but I am getting a lot of 'naughty' side effects from them (fatigue / nausea / reflux), and the tablets the doctor gives me to counter them all seem to have the same 'side effects' i.e. need to sleep loads........

Am l alone in this? or is it common as l am still trying to keep down a job, but feel l may lose it soon........

Comments

• weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Peterpie

Welcome to the forum :grin:

I cant give you any advice as I have OA but I am sure someone will be along shortly who can help you. I have had loads of great advice and support from the people here, they are a wonderful bunch. Hope to see you around. Take care xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • peterpie
    peterpie Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Jean,

means a lot....

:grin:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi peterpie, it's nice to meet you. I have had the chance to try three anti TNFs and I am not that impressed by them: some on here have had wonderful results (which is good) and they are now being given much earlier than they used, which may have some bearing on matters or not: we are all very different in how we react to these things.

I do not suffer badly with side-effects from the humira which I began in July 2009. That has done a wonderful job in bringing down my inflammatory markers and keeping them low but I have still had to have my knees drained etc. I think this has 'worked' for so long as it is supported by injected meth and I am also taking sulphasalazine. I was eventually diagnosed with PA (psoriatic athritis), a sero-negative version of this dross and I now have moderate to severe OA in my knees (probably thanks to the PA damage.) I am fifiteen years into the PA, as for the other I have no idea how long that has been lurking but I found out about it in April.

I was told I would be able to ditch the crutches when I began the humira - the pain dullers too. I haven't been able to do either. I run my own small business which is now shrinking at the same rate as the arthritis is biting, so ending that is something I keep considering, but I like the fact that it gives me something to do and people to see, otherwise life would be very, very quiet. As I am sure you are aware an arthritic's life is one of compromises: I am all for carrying on with work etc for as long as I can but once it comes to the point of causing more harm than good I shall stop. Fighting the tiredness is part of the constant battle, it is as much a factor of arthritis as the pain etc.

What other meds are you taking with the anti TNF? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Peter

Good to meet you. I am glad you ahve found this forum bacuse it is so supportive and helpful - you can feel very alone with it all can't you?

I have inflamatory arththritis as well as a bit of OA for goos measure.

I agree withh you that the mediactions all seem to have their own side effects :roll: Honestly one of them even has joint pain listed!!!

It iS good to meet you....hope you decide to stay.

Love

Toni xx
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    peterpie wrote:
    Hi all,

I am a newbie to this site, but have had arthritis for 25+ years (reactive / inflammatory). During this time I have been given several different diagnosis / prognosis of my condition, resulting in lots of different types of medication and surgery......!!!!!!

I had and still have a lot of faith in the Anti TNF medication that I have been taking (Humira for 6 months / and now Enbrel), but I am getting a lot of 'naughty' side effects from them (fatigue / nausea / reflux), and the tablets the doctor gives me to counter them all seem to have the same 'side effects' i.e. need to sleep loads........

Am l alone in this? or is it common as l am still trying to keep down a job, but feel l may lose it soon........

Hi,

I am on Anti TNF Enbrel and been on it since last November, I feel tired but put it down to busy lifestyle and AS but mayble the meds. I have had no other side effects and the difference is amazing. xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!