pre-op and knee wash?

Options
gray29
gray29 Member Posts: 23
edited 24. Aug 2011, 12:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi, i have a pre-op for a tkr on thursday and someone mentioned a speical knee wash? can anyone shed some light? my tkr is on the 2nd september.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh lucky you, :smile: I have to wait a good while for my TKR. I am envious.

Special knee wash? I have never heard of such a thing, just turn up clean for the pre-op, then before surgery you have a shower with a special soap (and put on the silly knickers) then as you drift off they will paint your skin with summat yellowy-orange to sterilise the skin and get digging. I hope all goes well, I wish you well and good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    when I had my leg amputated I remember having a shower and then waking up after op and seeing yellowy brown paint peeping out from the bandage.
    Then I had a small op on my stump last year and this time I was awake and he painted round the area that was to be operated on. As dd says it is obviously some antiseptic ointment.

Wishing you a speedy recovery after your op on the 2nd

Juliepf x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi there :smile:

Just wanted to wish you well for your pre op on Thursday. Not long to wait for the TKR then? I have had both knees "done" and there are a good few of us that know about knee replacements so any questions you have do please ask.

I am not sure what you mean about the "special knee wash" but you could ask at your pre op. It could be what the others have said. On the day of the op you will more than likely be the proud owner of a big arrow drawn in black felt tip pen, up your leg pointing in the direction of the knee to be operated on and you will probably be asked so many times which knee you are having done, your name, date of birth and your wrist name tag will be scrutinised a few times too! It is worth it so the correct knee is operated on!

Do let us know how you get on at your pre op assessment.

Look after yourself

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oooooooh! I forgot about the big black arrow - mine took ages to fade after the synovectomies! Ah, happy days . . . . . :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Don't know what the knee wash is all about, the yellow stuff is an iodene mix. it's an antiseptic.
    Just wanted to say good luck.
    You can wear your own knickers as long as they are cotton. Trust me they are much better than the paper ones the hospital provide!!
    I've had my knees since 1998 and they are still going strong. I had one of them done in November so instead of an arrow the surgeon drew a Christmas tree on my knee!
    Anita.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    On the day of the op you will more than likely be the proud owner of a big arrow drawn in black felt tip pen, up your leg pointing in the direction of the knee to be operated on
    Elna x

All surgeons have their own techniques. My arrows always pointed downwards!

I too think the knee wash is just the antiseptic stuff they paint on tho' for my knee revision I'd to bathe & wash my hair in anti-MRSA stuff and stick it up my nose for a week before & after.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    tho' for my knee revision I'd to bathe & wash my hair in anti-MRSA stuff and stick it up my nose for a week before & after.
    :shock: :shock: :shock: now that's what I'd call being extra extra careful! :wink:

Hi gray and nice to meet you. :grin:

Just wanted to wish you well for the pre-op and the TKR on the 2nd. :!:

keep in touch and let us know how you get on?.
    I've the first of two TKR 's on 22nd so will be very interested in hearing how you are. :!:

Iris xxxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    good luck do hope it all goes well val
    val
  • gray29
    gray29 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    thanks for the replies, getting more and more nervous, and yes of course i will let u all know how it went, oh and how the pre op goes tomorrow
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi and welcome just wanting to wish you well for your tkr i don't know about the knee wash thing probably just the yellow antiseptic stuff , they will have you up and about as soon as possible and the physios will be round exercise is very important to get and keep the bend , you might feel as if the whole leg is not yours but that's due to it being dressed and bandaged i am sure you will be firm friends with your new knee
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Gray,

I think they will tell you tomorrow if they want you to have anything special to wash it with before you go in. they certainly will whack a load of iodine stuff on it when you go in and the big black arrow as well.

really hope it goes well and good luck. Glad your going to tell us ho it went and nice to meet you. Cris x