Side effects of arthritis medication

Options
bpat
bpat Member Posts: 11
edited 24. Aug 2011, 08:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Im just after some advice if possible. My mum has had rheumatoid arthritis coming up to 2 years now she has it everywere knee, hands, upper arm.

The medication I can remember she is on is Methotrexate, Naproxen and Steroids (she is on more, I cant remember the names). Sorry to talk about this lovely subject but the problem is she has been getting bad diarrhea. She says its mostly of a Sunday because that is when she takes the most tablets (14). One time she can go and it will be ok and like 15 mins later it can be really bad. Iv told her to mention it to the doctor when she goes next week she said she will.

Is this quite a normal side effect, im really worried :?: ?

Thanks for your help....

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello bpat - your Mum is very lucky to have such a caring family.

I think this is a fairly common side effect of many of the RA meds and it may well be the methotrexate causing your Mum's problem. I too take methotrexate and have had similar problems.

I don't thing you need to worry but it would definitely be worth your Mum mentioning it to the GP I think because he/she will be able to reassure her or investigate further if necessary. The GP may also be able to suggest ways of minimising the problem or may prescribe additional meds to help.

Hope things improve for your Mum soon.

Tilly xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi bpat

I am sorry to hear about your mum's side effects with the meds she is taking. I know that diclofenic did that to me after 2 years so I was put on another anti inflammatory drug. I wonder is your mum is eating something to line her stomach when taking her meds. The gp can prescribe a stomach protector, if your mum does not already take one, which can help. Yes, your mum should definitely let her gp know about this when she next visits him. I do hope that she gets sorted because it can be most debilitating if you have to keep going to the loo.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, this doesn't sound right at all, I think she definitely needs to see the GP and also perhaps contact her rheumatology clinic: does that have a helpline? Mine does and any problem like this they arrange to see one quite quickly. Your poor mum, how very difficult, all that and the RA too. I hope she can be given some help and/or some other meds to help her. Please let us know how you and she get on. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi bpat,

I agree with the others that your mum should see/ speak to her doctor about what she is experiencing. :roll:

As Elna and Tilly said, there are medicines that help protect the stomach and gut from the irritant effects of some of the meds we take, but only the doc can tell for sure what is causing these symptoms.
    Perhaps your mum could phone her GP? I'm sure the doctor wouldn't mind ......and this could allay your concerns.

Your mum's lucky to have such a caring family!

Take care bpat :grin: and say Hi to your mum too. :wink:

Iris xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi made the mistake of not eating with my meds the other night and they went straight through me woke me up so am extra carefull now to eat check what she is eating and when but do get her to tell doc just incase meds need changing val
    val
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Hi,

I think your mum needs to let the doctor or rheumy know about what's happening, all these drugs come with side effects but best to safe than sorry.

Lovely to read you tryingbtuo get info for your mum, she is a lucky lady to have you and to have someone who cares so much. Xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi BPAT

Welcome to the forum from me :smile:

I am glad your Mum has such caring offspring to try to find out more for her and make sure she doesn't put up with unnecessary suffering :sad:

Some people will not trouble the doctor when things aren't right will they (my Mum was just such), but something can probably be done to help.

Maybe she will let you accompany her to the docs??

Love

Toni xx
  • bpat
    bpat Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I will make sure that she tells her doctor about it next week she has an appointment on the 30th, hopefully she will let me go with her.

Im really worried it will be like bowel cancer or something, I just want her to get it checked

Thank you for all your replies....
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am sure it's just the meds, bpat, nothing more. These are powerful drugs and they can cause all kindsa upsets. I hope the doctor can help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • silverbirch
    silverbirch Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Bpat, I was on methatrexate 2 years ago and had exactly the same problem, I felt so ill, anyway I rang the rhuemy nurse and she told me to come off it, she made me another appointment with the consultant and put me on another medication... good luck to your mum.
  • silverbirch
    silverbirch Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Forgot to mention the Methatrexate injections may be better for your mum as the bypass the stomach......
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi bpat
    and welcome to the forum. hope that the doc can give an explianation as what is causing your mums troubles at the moment.

I hope she is better soon

Love Juliepf x