difficulty in turning wrist

Options
romeathome
romeathome Member Posts: 21
edited 22. Sep 2011, 07:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, My arthritis has migrated into yet another part of my body - as it does. My right wrist is now painful to turn left or right and it feels as if something is gnawing away at the bone a lot of the time. Does anyone know of any remedies for the pain or utensils to use i.e. feeding, gardening etc to help with this condition. Thank you

Comments

• weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Romeathome

I find heat helps my wrist and I also got a wrist splint thingy from my physio and it is great when I am trying to do things as it really supports it and reduces the pain. Hope that helps. Take care xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Hi Romeathome,

Welcome to the forum and glad you have found it.

I have the same problem and mine are not turning too well either. The left mow can't make it to palm up enough to hod things in it.

I think its important that you get them looked at though as there maybe be something they can do to help. maybe night splints that kind of thing.

As Jean says physio might be able to help? W have a walk in one here and you don't need a referral so its worth seeing whats in your area.

I don't know which arthritis you have ? It does make a difference to who you are seen by but I really think at the very least you need an xray.

Good luck and I so hope you can get them comfortable? hey i often use doubled over tubigrip if i am going to do anything heavy but if you get them looked at they might be able to help with a few things so please talk to who ever you're under.

Let us know how you get on please and nice to meet you. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Romeathome

Good to meet you and welcome to the forum from me too :smile:

This has happened to me too in the past, but isn't at the moment.

I have some is*toner gloves which l bought off the Internet....might help as they do go up your arms, but if this is really bad and has stayed a while maybe a referral by GP to and OT is better so you can get the right splints might be better???

I hope that the arthritis decided to leave them very soon.

Love

Toni xx
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry to hear you having trouble, try OXO good grips stuff it's great. You can get from Internet, Argos used to do some or def Lakeland. X
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello!

I swear by my wrist splints. They mean I can use my wrists much more easily because they prevent me from twisting them. If you think you have damage to your wrists though, my advice would be to try to get properly fitted splints from the physio or OT rather than just buying them "over the counter" because you need to make sure that what you use is right for your particular problem. Mine came from the OT and the metal inserts were bent to fit the shape of my hands. Downside is the lovely "knicker elastic pink" colour. So very flattering (not). But hey, at least they help.

Love Tilly xxx
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi,

I find when my wrist is painful I wear a wrist splint. It does seem to ease the pain if you immobilise it. Funily enough I am going to have physio next week. I am hoping for ultrasound as in the past that has helped.
    However, mine is more the muscle I think, because the wrist has fused itself solid over time and does not move at all. In theory it shouldn't hurt.
    Good luck,
    Anita.
  • romeathome
    Options
    weejean wrote:
    Hi Romeathome

I find heat helps my wrist and I also got a wrist splint thingy from my physio and it is great when I am trying to do things as it really supports it and reduces the pain. Hope that helps. Take care xx

Thanks for your reply weejean. I have found that heat really helps the pain and now I have got braces for both of my wrists. Fortunately I have managed to find some good black ones because the cardboard coloured ones are not very practical. Do you use anything to help you eat or do gardening. I am sure there must be gadgets that I do not know about. bye romeathome
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry I cant help....looks like you've had loads of tips from people....My arthritis is in hips, spine etc ...weight bearing joints.
    At the top of this page you'll see a topic........
    Simple things to make life easier
    Skim through that and you might find something else. It was started by someone putting in a tip about putting a plastic bag on a chair so they could swivel round, it went from that to various ways of doing your washing :lol: eg wrapping them up in bed clothes and throwing them downstairs etc....lots of inventive ideas and is worth a read :wink:
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Romeathome

Glad most stuff is sorted...someone recommended l look at the O*o website (i thought it was a stock cube) as they have a lot of ergonomic utensils and if you go on the bo*ots website they have some bigger handled cutlery you could look at??

Love

Toni xx
  • romeathome
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies to my query. I have found the OXO site and am working my way through it. Also I will look at the list of tips because I find frequently people who have arthritis have very good ideas.
  • romeathome
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    Sorry I cant help....looks like you've had loads of tips from people....My arthritis is in hips, spine etc ...weight bearing joints.
    At the top of this page you'll see a topic........
    Simple things to make life easier
    Skim through that and you might find something else. It was started by someone putting in a tip about putting a plastic bag on a chair so they could swivel round, it went from that to various ways of doing your washing :lol: eg wrapping them up in bed clothes and throwing them downstairs etc....lots of inventive ideas and is worth a read :wink:
    Love
    Hileena

Hello Hileena,

I must be stupid but I can't find "Simple things to make life easier." I must be on a different page to you. I have looked through the leaflets to read on line. Can you explain to me how I get to "Simple things to make life easier." thanks romeathome
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's near the top of the LWA board, the one you've come to read this. The top part is headed Announcements and has five topics, then the next section is called Topics. The Simple thread is the fourth one down, started by lululu, it's on its 22nd page and the last poster was frogmorton on 2.9.11. I hope this helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Any joy? Have you found it yet? If you have I hope it helped. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • romeathome
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Any joy? Have you found it yet? If you have I hope it helped. DD
    Hello dreamdaisy I finally found the simple ideas... thank you for putting me on to it. I will gradually work my way through it.I find people with a problem can frequently come up with answers that the experts miss. I guess it is not their fault as they have not experienced it. Romeathome
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    welcome from me too.. Did you get your splints from the ot team or physio. I'm only asking because, as mentioned before if they have an insert it should really be adjusted to fit. I have two wrist straps,and I have the metal inserts for every day use and then specially moulded plastic ones for when I use my fischer walking sticks, they were actually moulded whilst I held onto my sticks so are the perfect shape..

Best of luck anyway..
    Glad that you found the forum. very useful place to be :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • romeathome
    Options
    weejean wrote:
    Hi Romeathome

Hello Jean, I have tried heat and splints which work up to a point but just touching or picking very small things up causes pain in my right hand. I think I will have to see the doctor about it but appreciate your concern. Rome
  • romeathome
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    welcome from me too.. Did you get your splints from the ot team or physio. I'm only asking because, as mentioned before if they have an insert it should really be adjusted to fit. I have two wrist straps,and I have the metal inserts for every day use and then specially moulded plastic ones for when I use my fischer walking sticks, they were actually moulded whilst I held onto my sticks so are the perfect shape..

Best of luck anyway..
    Glad that you found the forum. very useful place to be :grin:

Hello, I did not know the splints need to be moulded. Will have see doctor and be given an appointment for physio as the pain is getting really annoying. bye Rome