pain relief

Options
gray29
gray29 Member Posts: 23
edited 27. Aug 2011, 03:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
this has probably been discussed a thousand times, but i was wondering what pain relief everyone found the best and most effective?

Comments

• weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Gray

I guess it depends on what type of Arthritis you have etc. I have OA and at the moment I am taking Co-Dydramol and anti inflammatories. They help a bit to take the edge off things. I also find that heat is very soothing for my joints and I have a heat pad and wheat bag for this. Hope you are ok xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I have ra and take dehydrocodeine and anti flams.hope you find relief.Mig
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    anti inflams, hydrochloride, co codamol when bad parasetomal when not to bad
    val
  • silverbirch
    silverbirch Member Posts: 63
    Options
    I take co-dydramol and tramacet, anti-inflamatories when the pain is to much.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Along side my main meds I take anti infammatory drugs daily. The only pain relief tablet I have is paracetamol which is not strong enough at times so i also use a hot water bottle.
    juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We are all different and what works well for one may not help another. I have progressed from paracetamol to 8/500 co-codamol (known on here as cocos) to 30/500 cocos which are my everyday duller of choice. I have 50mg tramadol for the rough times and 100mg slow-release tramadol for the unbearable-but-life-still-has-to-be-'lived' times. There are quite a few options on offer and this is best discussed with your GP. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi I have tried a fair few meds over the years

Used to manage ok on just brufen mind that was knocking on 20/30 years ago :shock:

Since then l have used, co-dydramol and co-codamol (the latter being ok, but prone to making me nauseous)and as kapake and solpadol too to add to my confusion!

Tramadol (pretty good, but very icky sicky) oramorph.

Also had diclofenic (anti-inflam/pain relief) It and ibu's/naproxen all give me the two-bob-bits.

So finally find myself taking arcoxia and bu-trans pain patches :grin:

atm all is well.

Love

Toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    OA=co-drydamol and analgesic cremes, otherwise, heatbags/pleasurable activity/red wine/whisky/cleaning the oven anything to not think about it, sitting down and thinking is banned!
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    Options
    I use cocodamol in various strengths. When it is bad I have dihydrocodeine & paracetamol. I cannot take NSAIDS due to stomach issues (caused by NSAIDS no doubt! :roll: ). I have tried tramadol but it sent me a bit funny at the time. Not ruled it out though...willing to give it another go as bodies adapt to stuff.

I wanted to laugh at work the other day...someone was complaining of a really bad headache....I suggested over counter cocos 8/500. The woman went pale at the mere suggestion. "Oh no!" she exclaimed, "I took one of those once & it sent me to sleep!". I thought, "My god! I've had four already today & have still done a full morning's work!!". :eek:

Just shows you everyone is different. :lol:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Gray,

I think over the years I have tried a fair old whack :wink:

I started on Distalgesic, I am not sure what they became but they renamed them.

Then those and DF118's, the the DF;s with diclo's and then morphine and diclo's with a load of different muscle relaxants.

The thankfully the rumo looked at the meds and I am now on 600 pregabalin (they are very good as long as you can take the head messing :roll: ) Diclo;s and 8 tramadols a day.

In addition I have a fair few nerve blocks, triggers and now botox in the shoulders and thats been incredible effective till it wares off :lol:

Pain killer are at least expected to take the pain t a manageable level and sometimes they can actually stop it almost. I think it can take a fair bit of trail and error to find what helps you so if yours isn't too effective see if you can try something else.

As a general you need something to knock the pain back and something to act as an anti inflammatory. Cris x

Oh Gray forgot top say its also good to use the self help things and they are very effective and really do help.

AC run courses and it might be helpful for you to go on one as well. x
  • wendylou
    wendylou Member Posts: 88
    Options
    gray29 wrote:
    this has probably been discussed a thousand times, but i was wondering what pain relief everyone found the best and most effective?
    Hi I was taking paracetamol and dyhracodeine for years my GP tried me on various other medication such as tramadol and one that dissolves under your tongue also gabapentin all give me horrible side affects, but rececently i went back and know he has put me on morphine moderate release capsules i have to take them twice a day everyday at the moment he has started me on a low dose so its not such a shock to my body and he is slowly going to increase them to get the right dose for the pain but also he has gave me morphine low dose medicine to top up if i get the pains bad while i wait for the increase i can take that every four hours when needed and to cover me if i feel sick he has give me some anti sick tablets, So at last i seem to be getting some good help but i must say he's a very good G P, and up to know i seem to be okay on the morphine, i think it's just a case of keep going back to your G P to get the right treatment :smile: Wendylou.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Oh Cris!

I forgot DF118s they are dyhydracodeine by another name and DG's are co-dydramol - now they really helped me!!!!

happy days...... d050.gif