Weight loss a go-go.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 24. Aug 2011, 12:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since the orthopaedic appointment I have dropped crisps, chocolate and biscuits from consumption. As a result two pounds have been lost in two weeks, that's fine by me. When temptation strikes (and it does) I have found a swift but gentle thump to the right knee is all the reminder I need as to why I cannot indulge my bored teeth.

The next step is to reduce my portion sizes when it comes to meat but I shall increase the veg a little. When I do mashed potato he has butter in his, I don't. I am doing pasta sauces from scratch (apparently they taste OK, I dunno as the flavour is pretty bland to me!) and have cleared the freezer of 'proper' ice cream and stocked up with mini-milks: they are by far the lowest in calories, the highest in calcium and they taste OK too. So far, so good. :wink: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hey DD!

I am well impressed! Please do keep us posted.

Thinking of you.

Love Tilly xxx
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Well done DD,

It's not easy. I have a habit of eating hubby's leftovers because his tastes are changing all the time due to the dementia, as a result have put on 21lbs in 18 months.
    Trying to lose a stone before my hip-op in September.
    Keep up the good work
    (we all know why we're putting on weight but it's hard to break comforting habits)
    Take care
    x
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Well done DD !!

I am also trying to lose a few pounds before my Op. I have cut chocolate, crisps, my much loved lucozade (missing that very much), chips, butter and biscuits. In other words I have cut everything I like. Any suggestions on what I could snack on at night as thats when I find it most difficult xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I am one of the lucky people can eat anything and dont put weight on,5foot 9 inch and 10 stone so send all naughtie but nice to me.
    Really goodluck to you all.Mig
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Since the orthopaedic appointment I have dropped crisps, chocolate and biscuits from consumption. As a result two pounds have been lost in two weeks, that's fine by me. When temptation strikes (and it does) I have found a swift but gentle thump to the right knee is all the reminder I need as to why I cannot indulge my bored teeth.

The next step is to reduce my portion sizes when it comes to meat but I shall increase the veg a little. When I do mashed potato he has butter in his, I don't. I am doing pasta sauces from scratch (apparently they taste OK, I dunno as the flavour is pretty bland to me!) and have cleared the freezer of 'proper' ice cream and stocked up with mini-milks: they are by far the lowest in calories, the highest in calcium and they taste OK too. So far, so good. :wink: DD

use some garlic or pepper in for extra flavour
    val
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    keep going you are doing so well and you will get there just to show that silly man you can and get op done val
    val
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    well done DD. I have also been trying to loose weight after I tipped the 13st scale :cry: But am finding it very hard ~ especially as i have finally admitted that I am suffering from depression :sad:

My daughter has joined the slimming world on line and has lost 5lb in 2 weeks ~ very pleased considering that I went and stayed with her over the weekend and we were quite naughty with the food :!:

Its not easy ~ but good luck to you but I think you have the strong will it takes to stick to this

hugs and love

louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Well done dd, dieting or cutting down is I find quite hard.

I eat little and often through the day which works for me.
    I also have a small plate for our evening meal so that it looks as if I have loads.

The worst tiime of day is supper time, my last cuppa of the day and here i normally eat a banana or a yoghurt.

My real downfall is the amount of tea and coffee i drink....will have to try cutting that down but.....its hard.......but then again no harder than your diet.......so hey, I will have a go :grin: starting from Now, I have already cut down on the sugar :grin:

Good luck dd. your plan sounds good.

Juliepf x
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Well done , DD , knew you could do it ! A pound a week is the rate you want as it's a steady loss and stays off better . I also only manage a loss of 1 or 1 and a half lb a week ; but slow and steady . Well done , You , keep it going . I find fruit and vegs are good for evening snackings ~ cherries , grapes , celery and carrots keep me in check ! Jillyb
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I too have started to lose weight, but I have not started a diet.
    I am doing the Paul McKenna 90 I can make you thin plan.

My aim is to lose 1 stone in 90 days and take it from there.
    Its all about changing the way you look and deal with food.

I'll put up regular updates on here on how I am doing.
  • wannabewriter
    wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
    Options
    Can I jump on this bandwagon please? Me old knees aren’t very happy, and I know I need to carry on losing weight. I lost a fair whack (3.5st in 18 months) and then plateaued for various reasons. Now, I’ve signed up to the gym and am ready to give it another go! I’m like elainebadknee though, got to take it easy on various things – I went for an induction and the instructor thought I was being difficult when I was like ‘no, can’t do the crosstrainer..nope, nor the treadmill...nope lunges are not for me...or squats’ - he didn’t believe I could have arthritis at 24!

Goal 1 - 1st by 29 October (special event). Here goes...

Good stuff DD, here’s to the newer, skinnier us! :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi DD
    You have done well there, keep up the good work.....sometimes it doesnt take much giving up to lose it.....but I am dammed if I am giving up my wine.. :eek: :grin:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've luzzed out my two pairs of comfy size 22 trousers and am sticking to the 20s. They are not as tight as they were so that's another incentive. We will all get there, one way or another, we can only do what is right for us. The gym is out for me, as is swimming, so it will be done by food and walking alone, that should be enough.

Barbara? That gorgeous stuff, my lovely, will be the last thing to go! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben