What to wear?!

Options
sarahthornton
sarahthornton Member Posts: 44
edited 30. Aug 2011, 14:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all,

I hope this finds you all well. I have been around for a while but haven't visited for quite some time. Sorry about that. :oops:

I know this this a very girly question but I am due to have a tkr in the next month or so and was wondering what the best thing was to wear afterwards. When I had my shoulder done last year I needed shirts so they could go over my stylish handbag of anaesthetic so I am not sure if skirts will be best or if I will be ok with shorts/ trousers.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks x

Comments

• tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    When I had my knees done I wore skirts for the first couple of days while the big bandage was on then when that came off and the drain came out I wore pull on baggy trousers with elasticated waist.
    Good luck,
    Anita.
  • sarahthornton
    Options
    Thank you Anita, I hope it all went well and the knee is working well for you. x
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi,
    Oh yeah I've had them 14 years now and they are still going strong. Well apart from a muscle problem I have in the right one, just having pysio for that at the moment.
    Anita.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sarah

When I had my knees "done" I wore jogging bottoms. Easy to get on and off and also soft on the scar once all the padding/bandages were removed. Much easier to do the exercises too. It was quite a time before I wore my jeans because they kind of rubbed on the scar before it was fully healed. I wish you well with your forthcoming operation. I am so pleased I had both mine done over a space of two years.

Wearing a skirt or shorts would be fine too post op.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi When l had my back done l wore baggy joggers with elastic waists like Elna :oops:

In fact they might even have been Elna's :lol:

Seriously you need to protect your dignity whilst giving easy access and avoiding unnecessary discomfort for you.

These days you are oot of bed in a second!!

Love and best of luck

Toni xx
  • sarahthornton
    Options
    Thanks Elna and Toni. That is helpful, and has given me an excuse to go shopping. :smile:

I hope you are both well.
    Love Sarah x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 25. Aug 2011, 05:36
    Options
    After my synovectomies on the left knee it was skirts all the way - as knee bending wasn't possible for some time post-op they were the only choice (on the days I bothered to get dressed that is.) Once the bandages etc were off I kept a layer of tubigrip over the scar as it felt so odd (still does, but I am used to it now). I hope it all goes well and that your brand-spanking-new knee does the business for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sarahthornton
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will feel better when I get the date. I have been promised September but you never know. With my shoulder I was told November and it was February. I would just like it over and done with really. I hope your knee continues to recover.

Thanks again,

Sarah x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you, that is kind of you, but the ops were done in 2002/2003 and both knees are now shot to bits with OA. :lol: It's a grand life. I hope your op is sooner rather than later, I swear that autumn/winter post-op recoveries are harder work than spring/summer ones. Let us know when it is and we will do whatever we can to support you through it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sarahthornton
    Options
    Thank you that is lovely.

Sorry to hear about your knees. Me must all be amazing people to stay positive. I will let people know when I have a date. I know it's not ideal recovering during Winter but I can't do another 6 months of work on it so I just want it over with.

Take care x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sarah

I had both of my tkr's done in early January and liked this because the garden did not need tending and that pleased me! Nothing worse for me to see the grass needing to be mowed and not able to do it :lol: By the time the pleasanter weather appeared I was well on the mend. :grin:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sarahthornton
    Options
    That is good news Elna, I hope your garden has been blooming nicely over the summer. Hope the knees are treating you well x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum.

I had the cartilages removed years ago now and they were heavily bandaged for quite sometime. I cut some baggy jeans into shorts but I was still in my teens.... I would still do that though cus I remained a rebel :lol:

I had a bad break of the femur and ankle and again I cut the jeans just a lot shorter and also put a bit of a cut up towards the hip.

While I was in hospital they kept me in a gown as it was unplanned and I had nothing with me :wink:

It was quite spectacular though..... I did my first and only point to point at newton Abbot..... I jumped the jump, the horse following in a strange kind of delay and landed on me :lol:

I hope you get your date soon and even more hope that it will work for you. nice to meet you and good luck. Cris x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Sarah for me it was jammy shorts in hopital and shorts at home or loose trousers , hope your op goes well and is not to delayed no dout you will have the lovely knee lenght socks they like you to wear

[ i am a lady really ] welcome to the forum x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • sarahthornton
    Options
    Thank you. I have a few pairs of shorts and some cropped trousers that will hopefully be ok.

X
  • sarahthornton
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I now have my date. Pre op next Tuesday and operation on 23rd September so not too long to wait.

Thank you for all your posts xx