Really painful feet

Options
tiggernut
tiggernut Member Posts: 339
edited 26. Aug 2011, 13:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
At the moment I have really painful feet. It's like walking barefoot on pebbles. If I've been on my feet for even a small amount of time it's really quite unbearable and I have to sit down.
Anyone got any ideas?
Anita.

Comments

• tj66
    tj66 Member Posts: 54
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi I have very swollen ankles at the moment - I'm sat with them up and have my micro wheat bag on them. I get less pain if I have a spongey soled shoe. I have one flat pair that don't seem to have much give in the sole. I always go for flat shoes - but a slight bouncy sole is better fro me that very flat hard soled shoes. It took awhile to realise what i was doing wrong. This has helped me.

I also have a foot bowl (not washing up bowl) and soaking them in warm water helps.

I hope you feel better soon. It is cold down south so heat is nice!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    tiggernut wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    At the moment I have really painful feet. It's like walking barefoot on pebbles. If I've been on my feet for even a small amount of time it's really quite unbearable and I have to sit down.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Anita.

anti inflamitorys helped mine is awfull but right meds do help do not go bare foot make sure shoes have padding on soal soak and massage helps a little val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Anita

l do know that there are a heck of a lot of teeny joints in the feet so you should if you could think about taking your anti-inflams if you aren't and resting as much as poss.

I get shoes with spongy insoles too cl&rks airsolethingies are good, but if it continues advice may need to be sought from a higher power! (doc/rheumy nurse) as they can refer you for 'proper' insoles.

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Anita,I have the same problem with my feet,the extra thick innnersoles do help,dont walk around barefoot it will make it seem worse.I have been referred to orthotics,have had my feet measured and imprints taken and am to get shoes with innersoles made to match my feet pattern,the doctor said innersoles alone were not good for me because of damage ra has done to my feet,have been told they may be uncomfortable till i get used to them as they try to correct your walking pattern.My rhummy nurse referred me to them,it only took a couple of weeks for appointment to come through but my shoes wont be ready till early november.Ask about being referred cant do any harm.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Mine have been hurting for ages, it's like walking on broken glass. If you are on an anti-inflammatory it could be it isn't working as well for you as it should so a change of med might be in order. Try heat/cold, wear good supportive shoes, rest with your feet up whenever possible and keep up with the dullers. I hope they ease soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tiggernut
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice.
    Trust me walking barefoot has been a no no for years.
    I have orthotic insoles but on top of those I have another insole which is softer. I take Voltarol (have done for 26 years!!). I do have a foot massager which does help but it is quite short lived.
    I mean for example I'v only been up a couple of hours and they are already feeling like I've walked miles and I haven't even done anything I've been sat down!
    I think I just need new feet!
    Anita.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    yep, crunchy feet, feels like they're all broken! The orthotics make it worse, for me. A walking boot type of shoe with deep cushioned and shaped sole which lifts the instep and takes the weight off of your toes. I walk on my heels and don't roll forward on to my toes. Oh, and I buy at least a size too big to allow for my fused toe sticking out and up (15 degrees).

A lot of shoes are fashionably flat these days, a big no-no. My feet do get very tired, quickly.
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    Options
    No ideas just PURE SYMPATHY. When my hands were bad, I thought nothing could be worse. Then it was my feet......IT WAS WORSE!!! I cried when my feet were really painful & had to come home from work. I walked (limped) to the carpark with tears streaming down my face it was that bad.

Thankfully. I have not had a day as bad as that since (it was May 2011) but I now know what to expect next time it happens.

Bag of frozen peas with towel over was my 'relief' at that time. Plus dihydrocodeine tablets. And...to take the weight off (literally) & raise up. Great advice yes? Not so great when you have 2 children ages 5 & 6 wanting feeding, bathing etc. I employed a shortcut that day...toast for tea, fruit, no bath, pjs, no story, mummy not well....RELAX.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Anita,

Nice to see you again but sorry about your feet.

Unfortunately as Toni said there are so many small bones that make up your feet and its not a good lace to get the arthritis in respect that it is so painful.

I am kinda lucky cus I have a lot of neuropathy so they don't hurt as much as they used to but sometimes they just give out and wont weight bare too well at all.

Mine comes and goes but they tell me its the pa in the small bones and if it is I have had the pa a lot longer than they know :lol:

You might be able to get some help via a podontist and I have had some of mine injected i the past to just try and damp it own so if you haven't asked the medic it ,might bean idea to.

Its common here unfortunately and hopefully someone who has seen the pods will see your post and let you know what they do.

i was referred once and they said about making me insole but it never happened now I think about it :roll: In the postcode lottery we normally come last.

hang i there flow and I so hope it will ease off for you soon. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Oh l am sorry sounds liek you've tried most things too :sad:

Just sympathy from me too them l'm afraid :sad:

and hugs :smile:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    How are things today, tiggernut? I hope your feet are feeling better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tiggernut
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    How are things today, tiggernut? I hope your feet are feeling better. DD

Hi DD,
    Thanks for asking, sorry to say worse than ever!! I had to get up early and go for a blood test after fasting for 10 hours and I wasn't sure about taking my tablets so I didn't. Big mistake I went for the blood test then Tesco my feet are really hurting now. I am sat with them on the massager at the moment as that does hept just doesn't last long enough.
    I have bought some of those memory foam insoles to try, trouble is they are so thick I'm not sure I'll get my feet in my shoes once they are in lol.
    I do have an appointment with the podiatrist in a couple of weeks to see about some new insoles so hopefully he can come up with something. I won't hold my breath though. In the past I have to wait 6 months from cast being taken until they are actually made.

I am surprised people saying you shouldn't walk around barefoot. When I was in the Mineral Hospital in Bath which is a hospital for rhuematic diseases (fab place) we were told you should walk barefoot as often as you can to stregthen the bones!
    I had the metatarsal heads removed 20 odd years ago so I don't know if that's one of the reasons I have all this trouble now.
    Take care.
    Anita.
  • angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    Options
    When my feet are really bad, I get a bottle of water, half full and freeze it, then roll my feet over it. It's wonderful for both massaging my feet and helping with the swelling and inflamation as well.

I have socks on so I don't have direct contact with the bottle of course, but it feels nice afterwards.

Don't know if it's something you might try, as some people swear by it and others can't bear anything near their feet.

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • tiggernut
    Options
    angie1973 wrote:
    When my feet are really bad, I get a bottle of water, half full and freeze it, then roll my feet over it. It's wonderful for both massaging my feet and helping with the swelling and inflamation as well.

I have socks on so I don't have direct contact with the bottle of course, but it feels nice afterwards.

Don't know if it's something you might try, as some people swear by it and others can't bear anything near their feet.

Hi Angie,

I must admit cold has never been something I try on my feet as I have raynaud's, but I will give it a go I have one of those blue gel things you freeze.
    At the moment I'm trying out the memory foam insoles they are quite good well along with the co-dyramol and tramadol I took about an hour ago. The pain is less than it was before so something is working!
    Only trouble is they only fit in my shoes as they are exceptionally wide bit to thick for my slippers! still you can't have everything can you.