DLA

Options
migrembe
migrembe Member Posts: 24
edited 24. Nov 2011, 17:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
So what do they actually mean when they ask 'how far can you walk?' I can't walk no where without pain and not very far without two crutches or an arm. or what about getting dressed, taking a shower, making dinner?? I can do all those things but im in pain and i dont have a choice as ive no one else to do them for me. It's a very odd form to fill in.

Comments

• weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The form is horrendous and most of the questions are really hard to answer and you feel as if you are repeating yourself all the time. I help people fill out these forms as they are so daunting. The CAB usually have people to help with this so if you are struggling with it give them a call. When it comes to the how far can you walk before feeling pain/discomfort I always put 0 metres as it is painful even before I stand up, never mind the walking. Answer the questions with your very worst days in mind. Good luck with it and I hope it goes well for you xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Migrembe,

I think as Jean says answer it as if its your worst day. You also need letters, consultant letters, gp letters etc to help back it all up. Is a terribly long form and it might be a good idea to get help from someone like the CAB, DiAL etc to fill it in.

Good luck and nice to meet you. Cris x
  • migrembe
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. I mentioned it to one of my daughters and she said don't worry i help i help fill them in all the time. She's a support worker for misplaced adults, basically they help prople get back on their feet. So i should be alright there.
    Like you have already said i dont get out of bed without pain. I've stopped sitting on the sofa because i cant get off it. I went out with a friend last night to do some church visits, we go out every months but havent been for 3 months, by the end of the night she had stopped parking half a street away before letting me out.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi

You have to say WITH extreme pain and things like that.

Do NOT play anything down and if l were applying l would still be taking advice from someone like CAB and l was a Social Worker in a former life. :???: The system and questions are pretty complex you see.

Another sensible thing to do is to make sure you HAVE seen your GP recently (if they are nice tell them you are applying) as some fall at that hurdle because the GP doesn't really realise how bad their condition actually IS.

Good luck with your application and love

Toni xx
  • migrembe
    Options
    What other information do i need? It was first diagnosed by my gp in may after a fall in march when the gp all but ignored me when i said something was wrong, but since then ive been under the orthopeadics so who do you thinks needs to be contacted by the DLA? What about physio?
    - How far can you walk (in meters) erm NO WHERE
    - How fast can you walk (meters/mins) very very slowly

Being a nurse i hear of people who need it, who dont get it and people who get it who really dont need it.

Its all alittle crazy :lol:
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Good Morning Migrembe

It certainly is crazy :shock:

You need to try to give as much information as you can, as Toni says you have to choose your words carefully and not play anything down. Make sure you have seen your GP recently and if not make an appointment as soon as possible, tell your GP everything that you cant do and how it makes you feel. On the form it gives space to tell them about consultants, physios etc so they can get information from all these people. If it is painful when you stand up then you have to make this clear, as I said earlier, I put that I can walk 0 metres in 0 minutes as it is so painful the minute I stand up. A lot of the time when I am filling in this form I feel as if my answers dont make sense but I am only telling the truth about how my Arthritis affects my daily life. I wish you the very best of luck and its good that your daughter will be able to help. Have a great day xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • SteveBurns
    SteveBurns Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here but not new to OA as I was diagnosed three years ago and soon after applied for DLA. Both knees.

I was granted the top mobility and top care component but after the two years was reviewed - kept the mobility but the care went down one level. DLA was indefinite award.

My consultant and his registrars keep offering me half knee joint replacements but I refuse because I am not yet retired, only 61, and have too much to do here at home. I initially used the consultant for the support in my DLA request as the GP was not supportive, wouldn't even allow me a blue badge. That worked for me.

Having said all that I really struggle to walk, standing is worse, climbing up stairs really hurts, down slightly less and I get very stiff on resting.

To answer the original question the criteria for walking is "without experiencing severe discomfort".

Discomfort does not have to be "pain" but can include shortness of breath etc.

Like a lot of other posters I am in pain 24/7 therefore as soon as I start to walk I am in severe discomfort and that is what I put on my forms. I am unable to walk at all. (Their criteria)?

I have not stated I do not walk, and have put my speed as medium pace.

I have been under surveillance since May this year following a phone call to DWP. The caller is anonymous - how unfair is that? - and I was interviewed two weeks ago.

The walking was a major issue as I have written that I am unable to walk. I explained and also handed in a written definition as above but the interviewer did not want to know that.

In the course of three months surveillance they have seen me walk twice, once from a hospital car park and the other a walk with my son on a field.

My DLA has since been suspended pending a decision and the Motability people want to know why.

I will contact them tomorrow and hopefully explain.

The DWP interviewer wants me to sigh a declaration that my condition has improved due to increased medication and to state a date. I will not do that. I have explained that I applied to Motability for a change in circumstances as I am now unable to get my scooter out of the car due to the pain in my legs and arms, they granted that and included a grant toward a new vehicle with hoist, now on order. That request was made during the time I was under surveillance.

Reading about others having problem getting DLA and the trbunals I now do not hold out much hope to get it back.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Steve can you not state you were able to walk with less pain on those 2 days. Our condition is variable.Just because we sometimes want/need a life it doesn't mean we are not in pain. It almost makes you scared to move and what does that do to our health?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • SteveBurns
    Options
    Yes I did state that, due to my increase in painkillers that give me approx one and a half hours hours pain relief 4 times a day. That's when he asked me to write and sign a statement to the effect that I had an improvement in my condition and failed to notify DWP.

That would be an admission of guilt and a reason for them to backdate repayments from me.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Yes I suppose they would look at it like that. But its not a permanent change is it? I don't blame you not signing.

E
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • SteveBurns
    Options
    I was advised to take someone with me to represent me, I chose a solicitor from the best known firm in Liverpool, she wasn't much help as she appeared to agree with the requirement for me to sign and she told me it looks like they will take the mobility component off me.

My wife has carried out some research and found that a welfare adviser would have been better.

I won't sack the solicitor yet in case it goes to trial, I will need one then.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Steve!

This is really scary and no doubt your anonymous person was a jealous (of arthritis?!) person. I can only think what goes around comes aro8und.

To be honest it would maybe be ok to get your 'day in cout' because your explanation of why you were able to walk those distances (are they on video and have you been given copies l wonder) seem very reasonable to me.

This is a nightmare. I am so sorry.

Love

Toni xx
  • SteveBurns
    Options
    At the start of the interview I was told I had been filmed but the play back machine was broke so they could not show me? Solicitor told me that was OK?

I have requested a copy of the tape.
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    Steve how awful
    i think all the time that i could be watched.... i have nothing to hide i have always told the truth and feel i have to justify my mobility/abilitys as to what i can and cnnot do.. most of us know almost everyday with arthritis we can experience pains in diffeent places meaning no two days are the same... Good luck Steve x

migrembe sorry to go off course a bit, tell them how it is on the worst day, in great detail all the things you find extremely hard and difficult to do...
    my DLA was refused for the care componant and going to tribunal now... its very much harder to get DLA,
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • Crazeybones
    Crazeybones Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi there all. I have just returned from work aching in every single part of my body with this disease and opened a letter telling me I have been turned down for DLA! I have only been in receipt of it for one year and when I applied last year the hospital told me I should have been getting in for the last 5 years! So now I am not entitled to it at all. I was receiving the higher rate and carers allowance but now they consider that somehow I have disposed of this disease within the last year! How ridiculous, do they not understand that this disease is for life! It will never go away and will only get worse every single year! I am so upset as I use my DLA for my car to enable me to get to work and keep my job, also I am afraid now that I wont get the help from the Access To Work people that I did before as our company is thinking of moving premises. My GP that knows me really well has now retired and we have now some new GP's just out of med school that don't even know me! So what am I supposed to do know and where do I go to get the help I need. I filled in the forms catering for my worst days which for me are every day and that still has not done anything to help. Do these appeals panels have qualified Rheaumatologist there to back up our disease? I walk with a limp and a crutch, have had a shoulder decompression which did not work, cartillage removed from left knee, arthritis of the spine and neck, also in the hands to which I use splints for, in my ankles o and in both hips but I cannot have an op on them until I am 60!- well you guys know the score its just pain pain pain. What more do we have to prove to these people. I am so angry right now at the Government. Okay rant over. Thanks people for listening. xx Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    Hiya Crazybones
    its all such a mess isnt it...
    i heard from my 2nd tier tribunal today and was turned down yet again, i have no more fight left they are turning me nuts,
    i was awarded low care componant over 4 years ago for 2 years then it went up to middle rate with mobility for a further 2 years, then the poxy government changes and decides we have to sort out the real needy to the needy needy and those who are not so needy needy, i am in debt because i bout some expensive things because of the money never thinking it was going to be stopped, we bought new sofas last november which allows me to have my legs up in reclining position, and not deep seats so i cant get stuck in them... but now i have to pay for them out of cash i dont have...
    since this has stopped my husband has been diagnosed with diabetes type 2, and arthritis and has mega trouble with his hands... hes now being treated for bladder/kidney infection there are times he shouldnt be working hes a mechanic but he has to work so we pay back the furniture money...
    it stinks right now but i guess we are alive and altho in much pain a lot of the time, things could be worse

we have each other...
    still unsure as to appealing against this decision as im afraid if push comes to shove i may lose my mobility...
    take care and hope you get things sorted xx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png