is 29 really young for tkr?

Options
gray29
gray29 Member Posts: 23
edited 28. Aug 2011, 07:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
as some of you know i'm having tkr in a week, and i am only 29 and by some peoples reactions it is a really young age, i am wondering what anyones thoughts on this are, and if anyone has had a replacement replaced?

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HI Gray

Well its young for the surgeons but if like me youve had your arthritis since teens and now need TKR...And have had to fight tooth and nail to get a 2nd opinion and be seen as a genuine case (im 42)....Then no its not too young as you/I want to live our lives fully not half full.....

Hope all goes well

Elainex
    gray29 wrote:
    as some of you know i'm having tkr in a week, and i am only 29 and by some peoples reactions it is a really young age, i am wondering what anyones thoughts on this are, and if anyone has had a replacement replaced?
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    it should not be a matter of age but of need. i know(can not rememebr where read it) there a new type they use on younger people as they can then replace with different one in later life do not worry about all that it the future and it the present you need help good luck val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi there

It is young but it must need to be done or the consultant/surgeon would not perform the op.

Lindalegs has had a knee replacement, replaced recently. After a hiccup or two post op she it getting on really well. Hopefully she will see your posting and reply.

I wish you well with your op, I had both knees done in my late 50's so not hoping to have to think about replacements again for a little while.

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi Gray

I have had OA since childhood, my hips are particularly bad and I knew since my teens that I would need both replaced. My surgeon has always said that I should put it off as long as I could due to the lifespan of the artificial hips. I am now 38 and am going into hospital in two weeks to have both my hips replaced, I cant wait any longer and my surgeon totally agrees with this. If your surgeon thinks that a TKR is necessary then I would totally trust his judgement. Once you get your new knee you will have a much better quality of life and hopefully it will last for many many years to come before you might need your TKR redone. I feel that I am missing out on so much just now because of the pain and lack of mobility in my hips and although I am very nervous about my Op, I am also excited that I will be able to live my life again. Since you are having your Op in a week and I am having mine in two weeks we can go through our recovery together and be there for each other. I dont think you are too young as there is no point in you suffering when something can be done to make your life so much better. I will be iin your pocket when you go for your Op and hope you will soon be back on your feet, feeling great. Hope you have a good day xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Gray,

Just a quickie from me as I'm not too clever today tummy wise. :roll:

I had both knees replaced when I was 41 during the same op. 7 weeks ago I had a 'revision' (replacement replaced) because I'd worn one out. A revision is a bigger operation so it takes longer to recover and is more sore post op but I wouldn't worry too much about that just now.

I will warn you that the day after your operation you will be asked to stand and maybe walk on your new knee and it will hurt - this will get better as each day goes on. I'm not being alarmist just trying to prepare you.

Do your exercises and do as they advise plus rest a lot too. I'm sure you'll be really pleased with your new knee, I certainly have been with al my replacements :shock: (just knees so far :wink: )

Stickeywicket has also had a revision and she may come along soon to help.

Good luck and anything else you need to know please ask - I hope to be back on later today.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If it's needed, it's needed. Age is irrelevant with any form of arthritis. A (hopefully) pain-free future beckons and there is nothing wrong with that. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sparkle
    sparkle Member Posts: 11
    Options
    It's not too young. You want to be as active as possible now and not just sit around in pain waiting to be old enough to do something about it. I had my hips done at age 14 and knees at 24 and I'm 28 now. I've not had any revisions yet but my left hip is starting to get a bit uncomfortable at times. Hope all goes well for you.
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Gray,

As the others have said it is young but if you need it you need it. What does it matter how old you are.
    I was told I was to young at 48 but a different hospital and different surgeon had a totally different attitute and said I needed a new knee and he would put me on the urgent waiting list which he did.
    I had them both done within 4 months of one another. That was 14 years ago so I expect I will need them doing again at some point.
    I think this is the reason they try and make you wait as long s possible because the younger you are the more likely you are to need another one.
    Good luck with it.
    Anita.
  • sarahthornton
    sarahthornton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi Gray,

Sorry to hear you need a new knee. I am 32 and am having a tkr in the next month or so. My surgeon said I am young but that there was no other option. Like people have already said, It's not so much a matter of age as the state or your knees. He also said I could have 2 more replacements after this one when I need them and they are making improvements all the time. If you didn't need one you wouldn't be offered one.

I hope all goes well for you. Make sure you let us all know how you get on.

Take care

Sarah x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Gray
    The others have said it all, I just want to add my support, and wish you well with it.
    Just make sure you come on and tell us how you are doing then we can carry on supporting you.
    Good Luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Gray

people will be saying that because they don't know that having arthritis at 29 (or for that matter 14 or even 2) is too young. I agree,wish it wasn't the case, but it sadly is :sad:

Your consultant and surgeon knows what he/she is doing and gray it must be needed or it would not be happening.

The very best of luck from me.

Love

Toni xx
  • gray29
    gray29 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    hi all thanks for the support, had me pre op yesterday all went well, apart from all the mrsa stuff i have to do before the op. only 7 days now....
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Not long now Gray and it will be all over :grin: I will be in your pocket for your surgery and maybe if you are not too tired you can climb into my pocket (be careful with that new knee though) the following week for my surgery :grin:
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Gray

Just wishing you all the best for your tkr.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Juliepf x
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Gray,

Glad the pre op went well. Good luck for the op and a speedy recovery.

Anita x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Gray,

Glad the pre-0p went well and got everything crossed for the op.

For what its worth my kid brother had his hips replaced at 21 and he has had one re-done recently and the other one is due but they have lasted over 20 years. Good luck and will be thinking of you. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Bet that made you feel better :smile:

All the best of luck for you - glad the pre-op went well and can l say l for one am very glad they are protecting you from the MRSA now.

Will be scary but all be well so so worth it in the end.

Love

Toni xx
  • jojo03
    jojo03 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Gray

I had a TKR two weeks ago, and my other knee done three months ago. I am 44, and was told I needed them doing when I was in my early 20's. I was terrified and sheer willpower got me through the next 20 years before I admitted I couldn't really go on in such pain. Both ops were straightforward and pain free. I was up walking the next day, it felt great.

I would just say that by hanging on all those years, the damage to my knees was very bad, the surgeon said he had had to work hard on them, and my range of movement isn't great because of the muscle damage over the years. If you're having yours done now, I'm sure you'll have a great result.

I'm sure you're nervous, but please try not to be, I worried myself stupid about the op for years, and it was absolutely fine.

Best wishes,
    Jo.
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi Gray
    Haven't had a TKR myself (did have a new ankle in June) but a friend has (also in June) and have never seen her so mobile for ages,she is 82!
    Hope all goes well for you,keep us posted.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)