travel costs.

Options
Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
edited 31. Aug 2011, 09:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am finding it difficult to run a car, my allowance pays for the cost of the lease but putting fuel in creases me. My agreement finishes early next year and I do not expect to renew, so what to do next? My independence will stop.

There was a program on R4 yesterday, they reckon the price of petrol will go up to between £1.75-£2.50 a litre within the year. There must be many who are in a similar position, what will you do, bus, train, bike, thumb out and wait or carry on paying for the fuel no matter what?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It has to be the car. I need it for the frequent hospital and doctor trips, the buses don't go anywhere near either place (not without changing at least twice, ridiculous for destinations that are within two miles of the house), taxi fares are increasing (thanks to fuel cost I suppose) and are too expensive: £10 at least to go to the docs and back? No.

It's not the cost of the fuel as such, it's the exorbitant taxation that the government (whatever its colour) places on our fuel. That is the core of the problem - that and we drivers are a captive audience. The same goes for gas and electric too: the price that those companies pay for the raw 'goods' (can't think of the proper term) is at its lowest for some time so what are they doing? Hoiking up the costs in time for winter. Cynical or what? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Airwave

It is a bit difficult to reply to the poll if you can only click 3 times If you decide to abandon the car then you would have to walk, cycle, use the bus, train, underground and taxis when no public transport goes to where you wish to be or beg lifts from friends or perhaps hitchhike.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Airwave!
    Options
    True, but you get ten choices and I used 8 and was trying to find a definitive answer, so less choice to poll, I suppose if everyone puts down their main reasons, we will end up with some firm results?
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Ok I do not drive so for car journeys I always have to rely on someone else and then I ticked two others although I use more than that to get out and about, if you know what I mean :roll: :smile:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Thanks Elna, of course, over the course of a lifetime I have used all types of transport but a car remains my everyday choice and I need to think of what to do next, I could put some of my allowance to a car for both of us to use (my wife is fiercely independent as well!) and me to use other ways until I could have the car?

I find it hard to believe many can afford to run a car with high petrol prices continuing. Lets hear what the others say.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Yes, it could be interesting. I am going out now to the shops in town and shall walk a little and cycle a little. The rain has gone here and the sun is shining beautifully. :grin:

Elna x

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    no car can not drive so walk,bus or train for me val
    val
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    I will pay the petrol price for as long as I can afford it. I need the care and rely on it.
    However, my 2nd choice would be the bus, I do have a bus pass for free travel but it's not so convinient as your own car.
    If I had to pay bus fares that would be different they are really expensive here.
    I live on the IOW so buses are not every 10 minutes but when I go to Southampton for check ups I don't take the car.
    Anita.
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    I will carry on paying the price of petrol for as long as I can. I cant walk very far and there isnt a great public transport service where I live. The hospitals I attend are really far away and I really rely on my car. I totally agree with DD about the taxation on fuel (petrol, gas and electric).
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    I've no choice but the car. Hubby in wheelchair (18 stone) and me with dodgy hip replacement about to be redone.
    We'll have to give up something else to keep mobile
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi,
    When I have to go to hospital either my OH or one of my daughters take me. I do have my own car but cannot drive that far without pain.
    If I am just going into town or to the docs I drive myself.
    I really don't have any other option. It would be 3 different buses to hospital, 2 to docs and I could get into town with one bus but would have to walk a steep hill with shopping to get back home.
    I will be staying with the car as long as I can,but if the price of petrol gets very expensive it will have to be bus. I do have a bus pass.
    I live in a village and we have a bus every 2 hours that stops quite close to where I live but it doesn't go into town.

May
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Airwave

I have missed you lately!!

I did three choices keeping the car lifts (car sharing) and taxi if needs be l think.

Minimise the use of the car l think.

That is a scary though up to £2.50...how is it the young lads can afford to drive though???? The ones in the Mc*onald's car parks here :???: Maybe it's because their cars are switched off??

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We are a captive audience for the fuel companies, aren't we? They KNOW that the car would be the last thing that the vast majority of people would give up, even the fit and able-bodied ones. Public transport has two major drawbacks, there is not enough of it and the public nature of it. I love the privacy and security of Daisy (I drive with the doors locked), I love the fact I am not standing waiting for a bus that may or may not arrive (and that might or might not have a vacant seat), I love the fact that if I sneeze it's only my germs I inhale and not those of the snot-ridden bus passenger beside me, my car wins hands-down on all fronts. I did use the buses here for quite some time before the arthritis really bit, now I cannot but I do I miss them? No. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Hi Toni,
    Yep, busy, busy, busy, granddads nursery and I was at the Test Event for two weeks, so not a lot of time lately!

I'm surprised at how many car users won't give up their transport and will pay for petrol regardless of price, the trend seems to be setting? Perhaps electric cars will come down in price as petrol goes up?
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Airwave,

Tis good to see you :grin:

Had to vote A cus I live rural and the nearest bus is some 2-3 miles away and the other one further so without the car I would be stuffed.

Its a joke though but .......

Keep the grin Cris xx
  • Airwave!
    Options
    For all those lovers of the grin.....

It's a grin, HONEST!!!!!
  • Airwave!
    Options
    1. Carry on paying for petrol no matter what the cost` 30%
    2. Bus. 18%
    3. Rely on someone else. 13%

Well, just a small poll, but very clear as you all want to do with your travel arrangements in the near future. All the other choices came in with 8-10% each. Thanks for your input.

Its a grin, honest!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    I'll be using my car until I really have to give it up.......our buses are 2 an hour....Hopitals are not close and very inconvenient to get to other than by car. We live in a very hilly place as well......no way could I walk more than about 5 to 10 mins......that lets out bicycle as well, mobility scooter doesnt get me very far :lol: I could get to the docs on it but not to the hospital or anywhere else.
    I'm an Avon Representative/Sales Leader.....I need my car for that. With kyphoscoliosis i cant carry things.....eg Avon brochures never mind the deliveries. :sad:
    I have friends that live about 3 to 4 miles away....not very far? 5 to 10 mins at the most by car but it is 2 buses to get there plus waiting in between for the second bus.
    The most I would do at the moment is instead of going to the GP's by car I would use my mobility scooter regardless of the weather uggghhh!!! The same if I want to go to our village eg chemists for my prescription or to a couple of friends who live locally......but it will be a last resort.
    Love
    Hileena
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Hi Hileena,
    It would be a shame, in some ways, if all those with lesser ability to travel, moved, the makeup of all our towns, villages etc would change. Imagine a ghetto of arthers!!!!!!!

I jest and my imagine runs away, we all have to make our own arrangements. I note, with interest, the TV news about DLA today, a poll mentioned that mobility claimants could not afford travel and the amounts needed to be increased by at least 20%, well thats not going to happen. So we need to consider what else we can do, I won't have another Motorbility car, too costly to run.

It IS a grin, honest!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    I dont have a motobility care.......so that sorts that one out LOL :lol:
    I dont get DLA either so that doesnt affect me but I do sympathise with the poeple that do get it and it may me changed
    Love
    Hileena