Work and DLA ?

Options
dotty123
dotty123 Member Posts: 122
edited 26. Aug 2011, 08:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not sure what to do. I work part-time but really need to earn some more money now my son has left school and I no longer get working tax credits / child benefit... But to be honesst I know it will finish me off, I get tired enough working part-time and there isn't any more hours I can do at my work place. So it would mean looking for a job else where. I am not qualified in anything so I guess shop work will be my best choice. But with my hands so tender and my loss of strengh , I don't know how I will cope. I am not work shy, but I don't want to strain my hands anymore than needed.
I struggle at home with simple jobs, little lone in a working place... I am at my wits end.
After reading posts on here I doubt very much I would qualify for DLA and I don't want to embarrass myself and put myself through the stress of applying and being turned down.

Should I go for it or not

xx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dotty

benefits is a minefield..... :shock:

You can get WTC working tax credits if you do more than 16 hours and are over 50 and have come off income support to to it.

This MIGHT enable you to work less strenuous job (might not though!)

I think l would go to CAB and have a proper conversation about your options....maybe you will be entitled to DLA (often they 'go wrong' for example when the person applying hasn't seen their GP for ages so teh GP does not support the claim) after all.

Some people go to the jobcentre and see a disability advisor there for help, but as yet you have time to try to find out moe on your own. The directGov site is a good place to spend some time perusing - l am sure you can look at the DLA form yourself first.

Someone else may yet nip in and give you some better advice, but good luck Dotty from me.

Love

Toni xx
  • dotty123
    dotty123 Member Posts: 122
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    OOppps I have posted this twice.. Very sorry !!

I only get £8 a week working tax credits for one child now... hardly worth it !! . It was £68 for two kids !! how can they drop £60 .. thats alot for me to lose !!

couldn't even sell my body now lol
    :mrgreen: